Getting Nosy About Food

Not that airline food is all that great, but I was amused to see the kind of meal selection they offered on an international travel. Some of the diet plans were unheard of! So this brings me to the segment of society who fusses about the organic details of the produce like being genetically modified. I suppose they’d really value a tool like the Elephant Nose, a device that identifies genetically modified organisms (GMOs) such as ‘super tomatoes’ and genetically modified salmon.

Like the designer explains, “Many people are concerned about the health effects associated with the consumption of GMOs. Elephant Nose was designed to identify the state of foods (GMO/natural, fresh/stale, and so on) using artificial nose technology. Information about the food is displayed on the device’s LCD panel. Elephant Nose is portable and can thus be used at the grocery store or market, as well as at home.”

The Elephant Nose is a 2011 red dot design concept winner.

Designer: Junhyun Kim

• inter says:

It would be even better if it could identify certain ingredients (milk, peanuts…). It would change the life of thousands of food allergic like me 🙂

• Kev DJ Riley says:

I agree with you inter, would be really useful if you could actually specify certain foods. Great idea anyway though!

• Going further, what if it could measure sodium, fat, calories, protein, carbohydrates etc?

I’d like to know a lot of the details then be able to track your eating habits and intake.

I wonder how difficult it would be to do that? If it can do this, why not!

• Jimmy C says:

I’m also wondering how this works. This needs more information, it would be a bit difficult to put my trust in it otherwise.

• Nathan says:

It’s more plausible that a device like this could measure pesticides and other harmful chemicals, but to propose that it can determine if an object has been genetically modified is a little bit too sci-fi…

• altunay agagolu says:

could you tell us how it’s works? if it is plausible i would but it. otherwise I can’t imagine how it’s working with GMO?

• Kevin Folta says:

I’m calling BS on this one. Electronic noses can be made to detect and respond to certain compounds, but these have to be volatilized from the plant’s surface. None of the current genes engineered into plants changes chemistry to produce a volatile. Keep in mind, these are low-vapor-pressure compounds that would be released by the plant. Enzymes engineered in (Cry, Bt, etc) do not fit this category. But hey, the anti-GMO movement is not based on science, so they’ll probably sell a lot of these.

• chris says:

where can we find this product for sale? Or is this product still a concept?

• jesse says:

I’m wandering this too, I’ve searched a lot about the inventor and info of this product but got very little result. maybe you could contact me and we could come with some better ways to find it .

• Alexandra says:

May be, somebody supporting me how can i buy it? Thanks.

• Adam E says:

I had to do a little digging for some comparable products on Amazon, but it still looks like this is the best tool for the job.