Breaking Grounds with Brick

Brick is a sleek personal computer with a transparent display that kinda reminds you of concepts that Mac likes to work on. The concept here uses technology to the max by packing in features like magnifier, text translation, video and still photography, projector and much more. Working on the maxim that “a PC is no longer a PC anymore,” the designer duo want to convey that accessible networks and true mobility are the key ingredients of futurist products…even if it’s a PC!

Designers: Shaocheng Huang & Yuyin Huang

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

• Steve Kim says:

This article is about Brick, which talks about a futuristic pocket sized computer, which can magnify, translate texts, and take pictures and videos at a matter of a touch. This product really captured my attention as it not only offered a multitude of features, but with its sleek, futuristic transparant design, displayed some great originality that has previously not been seen before.

• Tim says:

Awesome! Now that we’ve got the future figured out, all we need to do is find a way to make the Citizen Ecodrive power our portable devices.

These renderings are nice, but I’d counter by suggesting that computers are not at all limited by their screen size. They are in fact limited by their hardware size. Something that clearly hasn’t been considered here.

A transparent iphone that can grant my every wish is a fanciful idea that clearly can’t be rationalized.

And before anyone goes off saying “YankoDesign is all about Form BEYOND Function”, there’s no novelty to this form. It’s a poorly proportioned iphone.

Why did I waste my time typing this?

• Jimmy C says:

This has been thought of before, of course, but I’ve never seen it quite so slick. Good job!

• Linke says:

I am not totally agree with what you said. These opinion are very personal. I believe other people might have other individual insights too:

1. A lot of the UX features of this Brick can be found on iphone app store. They are not totally new at all. All of these features I assumed, are done on the software side. These UX features are not totally original AT ALL.

2. If you talk about form. The form is also not new. This to me really just another cheap replica of iphone. Yes, square shape is simplicity, and everyone knows as it is presented through Apple products. How is your form so special that highlight your software features? or even human gestures? I found these are all copied idea from apple. These concepts have already been executed, and is already in the market. How is this idea Futuristic?

3. Transparent Screen are cool. but apparently there are some user-unfriendly issues. I believe if you had researched them and in your design specifically pointed out how to solve them. This makes your proposed technology of Brick more convincing.

• TC says:

Finally a smart concept and no a vibrator

• Kim says:

garbage kids coppied apple and thought its cool.

• Jason Wang says:

I love transparent screens and I’ve been trying to incorporate them, but a lot of these concepts overlook one thing: there’s stuff behind screens. Everything behind the iPhone’s screen isn’t empty space–there’s components, batteries, radios… pretty much everything. When you make a device that’s nothing but a transparent screen, you really have nothing more than a pane of glass.

• akaicanbe says:

Finally a smart concept

• pwong says:

I disagree that government policy is more important than enginering to effect real change. This is because government policy is controlled by megacorporations and special interest groups who have a disproportionate amount of influence relative to the number of peole they actually have. In ofder to effect real change, we must give engineers – people who do actual ground-level work – more power to make their own decisions.

Also, nice ohne concept, looking forward to seeing this attack and defeat all walled-garden systems like the iPhone.

• Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other
    websites? I have a blog based upon on the same ideas you
    discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would appreciate your
    work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free
    too send me an e mail.

• No matter what wway you use, you have to retain their own users.

They will visit the inn and consume the ale that has been brewed by the brewery.
    Is it really plausible that it wasn’t until the 1900s that people started tossing a bag or rock into
    a hole.

• These options will keep yourr skateboard decorated for years to come.
    This year you have to go through the agent, which adds even more realism too
    the game. With a suitably sized squad, you should then also be able to rotate the squad so
    that you can rest players for the leagbue games when cup fixtures come along.

• Quality content is the main to be a focus for the users to
    go to see the site, that’s what this website is
    providing.

• Muoi says:

Some of the besxt online RPG games require some payment. The publishers of role playing games
    offer a form of interactive and shared storytelling.
    and the sound of the tifes screeching and cars zooming is enogh to
    capture anyone’s attention and interest.