Funky Shoe Style

As the name suggests Topless Shoes have no upper constrictions or bindings. It’s like sinking your foot into a warm cushy hole and expecting it to ‘walk’ with you at every step. The elastic layer called ‘muscle’ parts under the foot and encloses it in a firm yet comfortable grip. Ideal for folks who find wearing shoes a huge task, and I’d sure like to give them a try.

Topless Shoes is a 2011 red dot concept design winner.

Designers: Zhao Xiaoliang, Han Like, Liu Peng, Meng Qingbao, Ren Mingjun, Yang Xiao, Chen Xuan, Lin Lin

• Maryline says:

This is interesting. I don’t know what to think of it. Fashionwise, the shoe is ugly, but I guess it would be helpful for disabled, elderly, and people with movement disability.

• There are very few things on Yanko that make me happy, but this is a step in the right direction. If this works, I think it could be really good for the elderly and people with mobility problems. Fashion wise in the Uk there is still a trend for girls wearing Ugg boots or their derivities, which originally started as footwear for the elderly, so who knows where they could go. As an idea, they are very interesting.

• Kid says:

Put it in context! Come on. Huge miss by not showing it with a foot in it.

• JAncheta says:

Where can I get these?

• Hangar says:

Unusable…its degenerate conception of usually moccasins…small waterpools when raining…

• Tim says:

Hangar: Do you put sandals on when there’s snow on the ground? No, you don’t. Rubber boots are very similar to these shoes in function. The user will make the sensible choice.

• Shevy says:

I need to get me a pair of those. Where and when can I do it?

• Rawwhale says:

I love the idea! This is definitely an under addressed market. I just wonder why you put a flexible sole on this concept? I know the current sneaker trend is for flexible “barefoot” soles but your customer needs strong solid soles that will protect their feet, maintain their balance and not cause unnecessary flex on the upper while walking. Also you clearly traced the sole from a Nike Free sole, it’s 100% identical… the number of slits, their sizes and the proportions are all the same. It’s just not inappropriate for your project but also a clear knock-off of a patented design. The upper is great but can you explain how the user gets out of the shoe? Seems to me they would have to sit down and yank them off which sort of defeats the purpose.

• piment says:

excellent et très beau look !

• Jimmy C says:

I actually think it looks good, as well as being a good idea. This design is definitely worthy of Yanko.

• CrafteeCarrot says:

On the whole, the idea foundations behind the design is good and is certainly something that should be considered further. So well done so far!

Despite the issues raised by others, such as the aesthetics, usability and anthropometrics, I think there could well be some mileage behind the idea, for sure! However, I personally think the design itself needs quite a bit more thought put into it in terms of practicality. But hey, it’s a work in progress. Keep going!

• ProDesignyeah says:

I agree with billy… Come on men ….Show us the foot in the shoe.

• maxi says:

what happens when it rains?

• When I Saw These I Wanted To Buy A Pair But Then I Saw That They’re Concept Art.
    Aww 🙁

• Penny says:

I have degenerative joint disease, spina bifida, fibromyalgia and I won’t go on but I am only 47. I have pain that radiates out of my little toe on my right foot. I need these. I am researching topless shoes and am forced to buy the topless sandal because I can no longer wear conventional shoes or sandals without excruciating pain. Please let me know when these are available. It would be nice to have them in faux-suede.

• Wonderful article! This is the kind of info that are supposed to be shared across the web. Shame on Google for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and discuss with my site . Thanks =)|