Dividing Data

The 2 – Storage USB Memory Stick is an ideal stick for a person like me, who is so forgetful of what data I store where. The color partitions replicate what a physical partition looks like. One is for personal stuff and the other for work; so simple!

2 – Storage USB Memory Stick is a 2011 iF concept design entry.

Designers: Chung-Ping Lai, Ming-Hong Yeh & Po-Ho Chen

• Johnny says:

It'd be easier to forget which color was which than to forget which folder was which if you named one "Work" and the other "Personal".

• geniusfairy says:

The whole world does not speak english, but you can use icons

• Bauski says:

who said you have to name the folders in English? Call them "Arbeit" and "Freizeit" if you want. That's how I do it

• Johnny says:

It'd be easier to forget which color was which than to forget which folder was which if you named one “Work” and the other “Personal”.

• geniusfairy says:

The whole world does not speak english, but you can use icons

• Bauski says:

who said you have to name the folders in English? Call them “Arbeit” and “Freizeit” if you want. That's how I do it

• Vincent V says:

This has been invented and sold by Quirky.com about 2 years ago : The split stick

• Vincent V says:

• Eddd222 says:

Wouldn't it be more practical to develop a USB stick that holds 2 partitions divided by software

From a product point of view, I would let the two sticks overlap, this one seems likely to break, especially if you add a hole in the middle

• Interesting concept but I'd rather navigate my own folder structure (what Johnny said) instead of having to eject the stick and then turn it around and plug it back into my computer. It looks neat and I understand the concept but it just doesn't seem practical as a consumer product.

• dror says:

I totally agree with Justin. Its good that this concept exists , as an idea and a way of thinking about products and users, but not as a product for mass production.

• dror says:

• Lucy says:

interesting ideia

• Lucy says:

interesting ideia

• I love this idea because it capitalizes on the whole idea of design – communicate an concept through visual cues. Its better than three jump drives on a key chain (it's been known to happen…)

• vogelcube says:

Because folders are hard…

• vogelcube says:

Because folders are hard…

• I reckon it's a decent idea. A bit impractical as it is literally doubled in size.