Write on a Table

The Writable is a fun and interactive look at how we can spark up the conversation around the coffee table. Three flip panels at the centre house chalkboards on the underside with a chalk discreetly held in place. I love the way it changes the outlook of a simple structure to something more eloquent. Definitely a conversation starter!

Designer: Tianyu Xiao

• harris says:

I don't want to touch a piece of chalk when I drink and eat something…

How about using water?
    ex. aquadoodle-like canvas and a straw soaked with water.

• Ilya Fridman says:

Fun idea! Not completely sold on the chalk either… Though Black boards and wood do look very nice together!
    Could the panels be interchangeable so that one persons chalk board could be another persons whiteboard?

• Andy says:

I am not feeling this at all, looks okay as a gimmick but totally impractical and I just dont feel the concept achieves anything.

• Marcel says:

This is a nice table… apart from the swivelling chalk boards! I dont see what use it has, what problem it overcomes or simply why it is there!

• Ian says:

I like this idea, I can imagine sitting down to tea whilst the kids scribble away on the chalkboards stopping them running round. Or turning the easel to find a lovely message from my wife to cheer me up. Good work!

• Fiaz says:

Looks awful and has no use

• annoyed says:

dude those of you with negative comments are assholes. It is a cute/fun/practical design. Go design something of your own so I can piss all over it!

• Alex Pauley says:

Agreed. It is so much easier to dissect someone else's creation than to create something on your own.

• Alex Pauley says:

• John says:

Such a cute and romantic idea! I want buy one if if has be in production.

• The Other John says:

Would be nice for strategy, or leaving a note for loved ones – perhaps the boards could be bigger? This is quality.

• The Other John says:

• Olivia says:

Glenn Beck would love this.

• Billy says:

but now i can't use the center of my table!

• Bill says:

of course you can! don't you see one of the picture there has a cup on the top of the panel??

• charlene330 says:

brilliant~ a fabulous idea for life. Lovely

• Pacer says:

I really like it. I think it's a fun idea. You could drink coffee and have a conversation without speaking. I love doing that. This will make it easier.
    I think chalk is the best idea because there's no odor and the writing implements are easily replaceable. As long as the panels lock in place it works.

• Horeca Jobs says:

Very Cool Idea!! I've seen the crayon board in toilets but … :))

• Megan says:

Such a brilliant idea! My family plays a lot of games and it would eliminate the need for finding pencils and paper to keep track of the score. Love it!

• duckyinfo says:

What would be ubber cool is if one of the panels was an etch-a-sketch. Turning the panel would shake it clean. As to alternatives to chalkboards, love the look of tin or aluminum sheeting. Even a white piece of porcelain. All of which can be written on with a dry erase marker.

• Sunmin says:

It looks pretty good to me! I guess it isn't really practical, but, it's sort of fun and I think I can use it for games.

• Sunmin says:

• Serenebaker says:

I LIKE the concept. I think it could be a good conversation starter, and it isn’t a DINING table where you eat all the time, so food and drink aren’t as likely to be ‘contaminated’ by the chalk dust. It would be great in a family room with kids, too.

• Happy says:

I personally like this! Does it have to have a purpose other than be a fun twist on a table? Its perfectly practical. I would love one of these!

• What a grand idea. Clever stuff!

• Sam says:

I think it’s a good idea for a kids play table, but not like how they’ve pictured it.

• Jeanne Lynn says:

I found your website through Stumbleupon. You have some brilliant ideas!

• Roezer says:

Nice table but should you not compile those images into a slideshow ? Would be easier to read about the table and how on earth would want such a thing

• Nora says:

I think this has a lot of implications for preschool and early elementary teachers. It has a lot of possibilities for that. I could also see using it for games.

• Nice idea, your notes are not going to the bin by mistake this time! But they can be cleaned! mmmm

• Richard says:

I would probably prefer it if the flip boards were a chess board or something. The concept is cool though.

• This is a very creative idea on how to dress up and change the look of your table. I think this is a great way to diversify your living area. Thanks for the tip!

• daphne says:

Love the idea. Cool!

• Linda says:

I think this remarkable. I have grandchildren and they would be amazed at a table they could draw on and eat on. In fact, the smaller ones love to play under the table so they write while they play and I could still be using the topside. I like it.

• Interesting ideea, but very useless. I don’t think someone will buy something like this

• Apiwat says:

not many people with agree with this design. Although it is aesthetically wonderfuL!

• jokerry says:

What a grand idea. Clever stuff!