Shoes for Weightlessness

Nay, these are not Air Jordans. They do not make you fly. They help you when you’re already flying. This project is a footwear design made for NASA airmen flying around in zero gravity. What would they do with specialized footwear? Why, attach to things, of course! They’d have an extra appendage to pick things up (of course, if they had big toes like your humble narrator, they’d need no such thing,) and a sassy design across the whole!

Atop the foot there is padding since quite often a floating fellow holds himself in place with the top part, hooking the whole foot under a guide pole. The artificial opposable thumb could help offer a new way of hanging on to poles, but why not have protection for both?

The most interesting thing about this project (believe it or not) is the description provided by the designer. I am totally suspicious about it, since it lists things that aren’t supposed to be happening yet – is he a space traveler? My guess is yes! Check out this excerpt from the project description:

The revolutionary design, which began with consideration of an existing ergonomic and health problem in space travelers, results in reduced foot discomfort and injury, and will improve a spacefarer’s ability to compensate for the loss of gravity. They could be manufactured with many existing fabrics and materials, and can be shipped to orbit, to a growing population of space tourists and workers.

Totally futuristic!

Designer: Edward L Howell

• Sarah says:

I like it, we can walk on the clouds with these! 😉

• TJ Kim says:

ha…brilliant. it is an interesting concept isn't it?

• TJ Kim says:

ha…brilliant. it is an interesting concept isn't it?

• Bauski says:

F**k me why didn't I come up with this? It's brilliant!

• Bauski says:

F**k me why didn't I come up with this? It's brilliant!

• seamusdubh says:

question how do you deal with the times, while few and far between, when you need to apply full pressure along the balls of your feet if not the whole foot?

• seamusdubh says:

• David Chen says:

This is made of silica gel or else?
    I’m curious.

• Hi, I'm the designer. Many different materials present themselves, including cloth. I am currently seeking to make a few prototypes to test on a microgravity simulation flight.

• David Chen says:

This is made of silica gel or else?
    I’m curious.

• Zane says:

Interesting Edward! Are they comfortable?Generally how much are you selling these for? Looks scientific fo sore. Thanks Zane

"human comupter interaction" class

• Zane says:

“human comupter interaction” class

• Jon says:

It looks like it would suffer from lack of grip. and the torque that you would want to get out of anchoring your feet. what is the benefit of anchoring below the foot as opposed to the top? and can you apply the same amount of force with this footwear as you could barefoot under the bar?