Cluster Light of Green

The following project is called “Poetry of Efficiency” and it is very poetic indeed. Created by Tom Strala, this lamp seeks to address the line between hate an love for the new world wave of energy-saving madness. There is more than one sculptural lamp in this project, each one of them being called “Calmares” or, for example, “Calmares I.” Each of these lamps is comprised of several dozen energy-saving florescent tubes, each of them consuming just 24 watts of energy.

In the sculpture “Calmares I,” Strala connects 73 bulbs to construct a sphere of light, one of beauty and futuristic fantasy. The base is composed of white aluminum tubes mounted on a spherical base. Each of these is ended with an Ostram “Circolux” energy-saving bulb, 22 cm in diameter, each emitting the same amount of light as a 150 watt light bulb. Together, the “Calmares I” emits 124,100 lumens of light with only 1,700 watts of power.

Sassy! There are multiples of “Calmares I” and “Calmares II”, each of them available for purchase directly from Strala himself.

Designer: Tom Strala

• Eivind says:

Efficiency is one thing, but consumption is another.

Even though these bulbs are individually very efficient, you waste that if you compensate by adding ridicolous amounts of light.

73 bulbs, each giving off the same light as a 150W conventional bulb, WOULD use 10.950W, if constructed from conventional bulbs. Cutting that down to 1700W, while maintaining the same light is good efficiency.

It is however still a 1700W light-fixture.

• Eivind says:

Efficiency is one thing, but consumption is another.

It is however still a 1700W light-fixture.

• chris* says:

I personaly dont care about the effiecieny aspect, but I do like the aesthetics of the light. However, there needs to be some serious refinement of the plastic peice holding the bulb. Honestly its a missed opportunity. I understand that these are probobly something you can just spec, but if this is a concept I would take it further and resolve that by designing a connector that enhances the form rather than to detract from it. Its a real missed opportunity and I hope you take my advice.

• chris* says:

• harbin says:

it would be nice the straight holders to be replaced with halogen tube and to make 3/4 mode switch so you can choose efficient or light or in between both

• harbin says: