My Fingers Are So Smart, They Measure!

Go back into the history of measurements and we know that in the ancient times, body parts used to be the standard for measurements; hence ‘a foot’. The need for uniformity paved way for the metric and imperial systems that are now commonly used. However our basic instincts still make us want to use ‘a span’, ‘two finger spaces’ or ‘an arm’s length’; old habits die hard I guess! To resolve this and bridge the gap between digital accuracy and human approximations is the Smart Finger. It is a device that caps your thumb and forefinger (or any 2 fingers) and uses the signals relayed between the two finger points to calculate the measurement.

• The Smart Finger is made from silicon to offer a comfortable fit to any finger size.
  • It can help measure length, breadth, and volume in a very intuitive way through simple button operations.
  • The distance (measurement) is calculated on the basis of the time taken by the signal to beam from one finger tip to the other and back.
  • The measured distance is displayed through LED.
  • The device sports 2 buttons that help display the measurements in different units, record and store the measurement, calculate volume and area plus view the information in text format (details on how to operate are explained in the images).

Designers: Choi Hyong-Suk, Jung Ji-hye & Yoo-Jin Park

• Guest says:

Where are these smart fingers available in the Netherlands, Europe?

• Guest says:

Where are these smart fingers available in the Netherlands, Europe?

• Confucius says:

I can measure within 5% of an actual measurement with my fingers/hands. Its really not that hard.
    If I want something measured more accurately I can easily do so with current devices. What does this really offer me that isn't achieved with better results with an existing device?

• Antithesis says:

Actually Confucius, if you've ever tried to measure an external diameter of an asymmetrical object it can be very difficult. Even with a caliper, it can be cumbersome. This device makes roughing out the dimensions of curvilinear objects much faster and more intuitive. AND, if your predisposed toward hacking devices, this could be used to log the data into a database to create an ad-hoc 3d scanner. Very useful to any designer.

• Octavian says:

Consider implementing it within the fingertips of a glove. Both gloves, actually. Now, that sort of "smart" gloves would really be "handy", wouldn't it? 🙂

• mrreali says:

how are you coming up with that when the brief doesn't even say how it works? All it says is that it mesures the distance between 2 fingers. it doesn't say anywhere that it doesn't need Line-of-Sight, though all the pictures indicate that it does.

• panfried says:

its and artistic gadget ass.Since when is there a need for practicality in art or gadgets for that matter.

• Confucius says:

• Antithesis says:

• Octavian says:

Consider implementing it within the fingertips of a glove. Both gloves, actually. Now, that sort of “smart” gloves would really be “handy”, wouldn't it? 🙂

• mrreali says:

• panfried says:

• david says:

its smaller and more portable than other devices. I would rather carry that around than a yard stick.

Awesome design! How long is it accurate till? Say i take one piece and give the other to my buddy and we go from one end of a building to the other. Can it read 40 meters across? Or is it only good for maybe 2 meters? Either way I love the design.

• david says:

• cocuk parki says:

wovvv these are really smart fings.

• cocuk parki says:

wovvv these are really smart fings.

• Christopher says:

I would Love a pair of these!

• Christopher says:

I would Love a pair of these!

• irakari says:

GREAT! Where can I buy?

• irakari says:

GREAT! Where can I buy?

• lets just say its too much works for the fingers lol.. i very much prefer using the measuring tape its easy .. and i doubt if the device would able to give a correct reading. even if it did you would want to align it correctly with the other module to get the reading correctly.. i think its good for architectural designers who develop models in small scale..

• Elysia says:

One problem: circumferences.

• Elysia says:

One problem: circumferences.

• asdrubal says:

it would be great if it had bluetooth and the capacity of measuring really big objects. more than 20 mtrs.

• asdrubal says:

• mrreali says:

how does it work? pretty pictures, decent concept, but a good product designer can at least give what technology would be used to make it work.

• mrreali says:

• Cesar Alor says:

hello i wanna know what is the price of this gadget.. can anyone help me???

• Cesar Alor says:

hello i wanna know what is the price of this gadget.. can anyone help me???

• Gosu says:

this is a brilliant idea. this would be ideal for engineer, architects, designers, drawers, and more. I'm in a college for engineers, and i would love to have this if it was real.

• Gosu says:

• anon says:

Seems like a simple ruler is a far better option for far less than this concept. Also, this has no idea of how much space will be needed to fit the processor & wireless technology.

• anon says:

• annuzzza says:

OK….. now we want to buy it…. WHERE?

• annuzzza says:

OK….. now we want to buy it…. WHERE?

• Bob says:

I really want to buy it!!

• Bob says:

I really want to buy it!!

• Akira says:

Nice gadget, anybody know how I can get in touch with the designers?

• Akira says:

Nice gadget, anybody know how I can get in touch with the designers?

• YeJin says:

very good
    goooooooooooooooooooood!!!!

• YeJin says:

very good
    goooooooooooooooooooood!!!!

• really good post , thanks for share this information

• I love this nice gadget

• robin film says:

Great! I’m impressed with your web site. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs and related information ended up being truly easy to do to access.

• im ur mum says:

fuck off fuck off

• Tran Trang says:

With everything which seems to be building throughout this subject matter, a significant percentage of viewpoints are actually rather radical. Having said that, I beg your pardon, but I do not subscribe to your whole plan, all be it refreshing none the less. It appears to everyone that your remarks are generally not totally validated and in actuality you are yourself not wholly confident of the argument. In any case I did take pleasure in looking at it.

• Jay says:

Where do I buy these in the USA?

• smart meter says:

This is my first time visit at here and i am genuinely
    pleassant to read everthing at one place.

• Hello says:

Is it possible to buy the Smart Finger?

• HEllo says:

What other current devices are there?

• vinay says:

is it possible to buy smart finger……….its looks faboulous