This Rat Is So Trapped!

Breaking from the conventional norm of a wood or metal trap that is aesthetically jarring on your design-sensibilities, the OneDown Rat Trap brings in a breath of fresh air into how we trap our pesky pests. Designer Aakash Dewan camouflages the trap as a tippled vase that stands upright once the pest has been lured to the bait sitting inside. As a tall-mouthed vase, the rat can’t climb out and you find a humane way of disposing the creature, far away from your backyard and deep into the woods!

Designer: Aakash Dewan

• @JoshMahan says:

But that is gerbil!

• @JoshMahan says:

But that is gerbil!

• talldarkroast says:

Aakash always does amazing work. He's a 3rd year design student at International School of Design India (ISD India).

• talldarkroast says:

• mif991 says:

Nice job and so simple.

• mif991 says:

Nice job and so simple.

• In my case, the rat can hide from my cat in this little house!

• In my case, the rat can hide from my cat in this little house!

• carl says:

the rat will escape through wobbling the bottle. how much testing has been done here apart from zero?

• carl says:

• idiot says:

Have you ever thought that they made the base weigh more, making it less likely to topple?

• Riiko says:

Upsizing it, do you think it can also work for girls ?

• Riiko says:

Upsizing it, do you think it can also work for girls ?

• Photoshop Clipping Path (US) says:

Great job

• Photoshop Clipping Path (US) says:

Great job

• Area5-employee says:

"the OneDown Rat Trap brings in a breath of fresh air" – Im sorry, but i have to question that statement. as a rat or mouse being trapped in a vase will, after a while die, and then it will start to smell a bit.. its a nice looking vase tho.

• Radhika Seth says:

The idea is to dispose the rat/mouse as soon as you see that its been trapped, which usually is overnight or couple of hours….I don’t think anyone waits for it to die first! unless you forget about it completely!

• Jimmy C says:

And also, that wasn't meant to be a literal statement.

• Area5-employee says:

“the OneDown Rat Trap brings in a breath of fresh air” – Im sorry, but i have to question that statement. as a rat or mouse being trapped in a vase will, after a while die, and then it will start to smell a bit.. its a nice looking vase tho.

• Radhika Seth says:

• Alaor says:

I see some problems here. I have an old mousetrap that doesn't kill the rat (a small cage with a trapdoor) that seems more humane indeed. The rat gets more space, fresh air, and we can see that he is inside. Maybe you should provide some small holes at the sides of this vase, and made it translucent. I know that it can hurt the design a little, but its unavoidable to the "humanness", as it's ease to forget the poor rodent inside.

• Alaor says:

I see some problems here. I have an old mousetrap that doesn't kill the rat (a small cage with a trapdoor) that seems more humane indeed. The rat gets more space, fresh air, and we can see that he is inside. Maybe you should provide some small holes at the sides of this vase, and made it translucent. I know that it can hurt the design a little, but its unavoidable to the “humanness”, as it's ease to forget the poor rodent inside.

• doctorbot says:

I'm sure that the mouse can go out in less than two minutes.
    But it's a nice and funny idea, maybe it's possible to make it work

• doctorbot says:

I'm sure that the mouse can go out in less than two minutes.
    But it's a nice and funny idea, maybe it's possible to make it work

• Sean says:

Oh, people. We are worrying about a rat suffering from claustrophobia? Or just the "stress" on the poor thing being trapped for a few hours in a bottle? Please remember rats will live in garbage, sewars, walls etc. As to all the people who say "it won't keep a rat from getting out", ya think they didn't try it out? It is obviously heavily weighted on the base. I doubt a 4 to 6 ounce rat could get enough leverage from the inside to topple it back over. To the "easy to forget" comment, if you have a rat problem you would be checking that vase every morning, it would be real easy to remember as you trip over it on the kitchen floor if you were really so forgetful. I bet the sound of the little guy scratching away and the the vase wobbling might be a clue also.

• Sean says:

Oh, people. We are worrying about a rat suffering from claustrophobia? Or just the “stress” on the poor thing being trapped for a few hours in a bottle? Please remember rats will live in garbage, sewars, walls etc. As to all the people who say “it won't keep a rat from getting out”, ya think they didn't try it out? It is obviously heavily weighted on the base. I doubt a 4 to 6 ounce rat could get enough leverage from the inside to topple it back over. To the “easy to forget” comment, if you have a rat problem you would be checking that vase every morning, it would be real easy to remember as you trip over it on the kitchen floor if you were really so forgetful. I bet the sound of the little guy scratching away and the the vase wobbling might be a clue also.

• ramona says:

lovely looking.. aesthetic and simple

• ramona says:

lovely looking.. aesthetic and simple

• Akila says:

Are you serious? You think that the only thing the rat killing experience was missing was a l'il bit of beauty? What an excellent example of how not to be a designer.

• Nikki says:

I don't think it was 'missing' a little bit of beauty, I think part of the main point here is that the 'rat killing experience' doesn't involve killing the rat, unless I'm mistaken and 'humane' actually means more along the lines of 'killing a creature in the most aestheticall pleasing manner'.

As for the design itself, I like the fact that it's simple yet functional. It's not just nice to look at, the shape serves an important role: by tipping upright, you can tell something's in there, so you don't even have to check the 'vase'. As soon as you see it's changed orientation you can grab it, slip your shoes on and toddle off to a field or other area to let the rat loose away from your home.

• Akila says:

• Nikki says:

• Guest says:

I like it…I'd like to see it in action

• Guest says:

I like it…I'd like to see it in action

• I love your way of thinking! replace movable part by the shift of center of gravity.
    But I always dare not to imagine what to do with the mouse…

But I always dare not to imagine what to do with the mouse…

• aakash says:

like it!

will definately work ! kudos! 🙂

• aakash says:

like it!

will definately work ! kudos! 🙂

• a rat trap says:

Mouse and rat control is a lot easier than most people think.

Preventive maintenance such as keeping lids on trash cans, eliminating

entry points into your house and most importantly, sanitation, are

crucial to controlling these pests. Uneaten pet food and piles of

debris in and outside the house are havens for rodents. Sometimes

elements outside your control, like having slobs for neighbors, or new

construction in the area can easily attract rats and mice. So, when

it's time to get rid of mice or rats, mouse traps and rat traps are the

best way to rid your home of these nasty creatures.

• Jimmy C says:

And then there are the people who live in apartments, where you couldn't possibly get everyone to do the same, and where the rats will spread throughout the entire building regardless if so much as one gets inside.

• mEE257 says:

it was a pretty interesting back in 2005 when i saw a similar product called “Mouse in a Light Bulb” by Roger Arquer. this is an improvised version… hmmmm…..
    probably u can check it out on his website: http://www.rogerarquer.com/work/mousetraps/

• mEE257 says:

• Anna says:

Where can this product be bought??