Magic Trick Number 420 – Water Flow

Ever noticed the magical hand gestures that Chris Angel and David Blaine use? Appling their knowledge and art to the good old kitchen faucet will make a real sorry show, unless you use the “Spatial Interaction” touchless kitchen tap! Touch-less as it gets, air-skim your hands in a gesture as to draw out water and pesto…the flow begins. Magic in your hands control everything, temperature, flow, speed, stream, but unfortunately this trick is restricted to the kitchen.

What we are seeing here is a prototype that was built with an enclosure milled out of a single block of Corian. Besides emphasizing on the touch-free (or less if you prefer) aspect, the design also speaks of hygiene. The faucet is controlled by *meaningful gestures and the shape of the tap supports this aspect.

*Meaningful gestures mean that the action required to control a function of a product need to be coupled to that function. In other words, if I want water to come out of the tap I perform a gesture along the side of the tap towards me, as if I am dragging the water out or saying ‘come to me’. If I want the water to stop running I perform the same gesture away from me, as if I am pushing the water back into the tap.

Designer: Jasper Dekker

Spatial Interaction from Jasper Dekker on Vimeo.

spatial_interaction

spatial_interaction2

spatial_interaction3

Spatial Interaction - A Touchless Kitchen Tap by Jasper Dekker

spatial_interaction5

• John says:

Cleaning with faucet would be very funny :D. On-Off-On-Off. Not to mention the stuf that is getting in the holes on the side. Funny though, nothing more.

• Brian says:

Great, looks really good!

• It Burns says:

My son would go nuts with that thing. He’s 3 and loves water. He’s already on his way to a structural engineering degree based on the contraptions he puts together to get high enough to play with the faucet.

On another note: this would be great for someone who works with alot of grease/paint/flour/gooey stuff that sticks to your hands.

• Chauncy says:

I have a touch sensitive faucet. I wouldn’t get this one because I’ve seen how the touchless faucets work in airports and such – that is, they don’t work

• ElementalDragon says:

well… there’s a difference. touchless faucets in airports and stuff like that are designed to turn on when motion is detected just under the faucet… and turn off when there is no movement. This is so they can’t be left running. The concept behind this is more promising for home use. gestures turn it on or off…. no need to keep your hand near the side of it to keep the water flowing.

• Unibrow says:

This seems even more wasteful than your standard tap. While you’re floating your hands over it to tweak the flow or the hot/cold, it is already running.

One that detects motion from underneath is way more efficient.

• Webdevmike says:

That would be great for when you have sticky stuff on your hands and you don’t want to get sticky stuff on your faucet.

No one likes left over sticky stuff on their faucet

• dance silly says:

know what, this would be great for a surgeon. so that they don’t have to touch the tap after they’ve wash their hands before an operation.

• ebbandflow says:

Surgeons already use hands free taps as mandated by law, so does much of the hospitality industry (in australia atleast)

While the gestural interface seems a tad laborious (in comparison to a normal tap) I can see its uses, that being said it’s incredibly ugly.

• Omar Blanco says:

Conventional faucets are so much easier to use, and like Unibrow already mentioned, the water is already running while you’re trying to figure out how this thing works.

• Omar Blanco says:

Or say you’re washing dishes or something, you might accidentally turn it on and off repeatedly; there would be glitches.

• There’s a bundle to know about this. You made good points also.