The Light Bulb Effect

Let me put on my monocle and tell you a story. You see long ago before Swan or Edison invented the lightbulb, people used candles. When lightbulbs became the norm, the candle went the way of the wind. DUH right? Well I’m feeling a bit nostalgic so I’m keen on The Light Bulb Effect – a wax candle shaped like a bulb. The interior cavity melts straight down without deforming the outer wall and you can screw it into a standard socket. A soft light but one that’ll make everyone look gorgeous.

Designers: Helbert Ferreira, Remi Melander – SYSTEM DESIGN STUDIO

The Light Bulb Effect - Bulb Candles by Helbert Ferreira & Remi Melander

bulb_candle2

bulb_candle3

bulb_candle4

• Ziya Bahtiyar says:

Very nice :o)

• Skunky says:

The sad thing is they’ll probably need to add a warning label telling people NOT to put it into a ceiling mounted light socket…

• MehStrongBadMeh says:

These are perfect for power outages.

• A bright idea, I give it a glowing reccomendation
    🙂

• My money is burning a hole in my pocket, sorry to wax lyrical.

• baas says:

toooooooo late

this is even beter!!!!! And it is more than 2 years old

check this!

• reality says:

how can this be surely the designer here would have done research into this???

• designersnet says:

I think that this design is better because how its made, the bulb dosnt look like a candle since the flame is hidden inside the cavity and thus creating a glow in it.

• Ali says:

why should there only ever be one version of something? evolution of ideas is always preceded by other
      great ideas that came before it. the product in the link is more preferable in your opinion, sure. but who's to say which is better?
      open your mind to possibility.

• Ali says:

open your mind to possibility.

• Koen says:

140 dollars? Really?

• dafffffffff says:

What a waste of wax. Burning just the central cavity out, what about the rest of the wax? Or do you just throw that away and buy some more expensive candles that wont last that long?

• Burning Both Ends? says:

Anyone who's ever used a burn-the-center candle — and, news flash, those have been around and in wide use for decades — knows that when you've burned the center down, you simply place another candle of the cavity's size inside the shell. It's a reusable wax candle holder, essentially.

• dafffffffff says:

• Burning Both Ends? says:

• Moe says:

if the opening is big enough, you could place a tea light in it that way the wax isn't wasted.

I found these candles while browsing and mentioned them in my blog, Five Sixteenths, on Fan Fridays! Please check it out!

• Moe says:

• browno says:

i think its a good idea, but doesnt it kinda rely on having a light socket that is on the floor?

• browno says:

• Top Ten says:

Very wonderful idea, I may dare to try it some day.

• Top Ten says:

Very wonderful idea, I may dare to try it some day.

• Hemant says:

We can get more light from pen flame!! But when flame is behind the thick wax, we may not get much light 🙁

• Hemant says:

• James Finnie says:

Sorry but I don't see the point of this. If I want a candle, why would I buy something that looks like a bulb? You say I can screw it into a standard socket but why would I want to or need to, I can make any candle stand in a candle holder.
    I don't get this at all???????????

• James Finnie says:

I don't get this at all???????????

• FRED says:

I got one of these at a design fair in Spain. This lightbulb is out in a new improved version now that works with teacandles. It comes in a kit for around 20 euro. Take a look at http://www.systemdesignstudio.com/proyects/galler

• FRED says:

• Habibies says:

Awesome bulb Pakistani people need this bulb badly 🙂

• Habibies says:

Awesome bulb Pakistani people need this bulb badly 🙂

• shapewear says:

this would make a good substitute for a mood lamp.

• shapewear says:

this would make a good substitute for a mood lamp.

• Cupcake says:

Why does everything have to have a practical use? It can be used as a moodlighting piece or simply to look cool. It would be an interesting conversational piece, as well.

And, the socket doesn’t need to be on the floor: any socket that sticks straight up or even at a slight angle can be used. That means any lamps, even those with posable arms, would be able to be used.

This is a design > practicality light, which is something a lot of people look for when it comes to candles. It would be interesiting if it came in different scents, though.

• Realist says:

It has to have a practical use because the designer claims it does. Therefore, if there is no practical use the designer has failed.

There are much better candles out there. Everyone's just like, "OMG BULB CANDLE LOL" and revealing how retarded most people are.

• Cupcake says:

• Realist says:

There are much better candles out there. Everyone's just like, “OMG BULB CANDLE LOL” and revealing how retarded most people are.

• gideon says:

you are too much This is a masterpiece. Continue the good work

• gideon says:

you are too much This is a masterpiece. Continue the good work

• Now that's green!

• rxvxn says:

Unfortunately all too true.

Gov’t: “Our students aren’t meeting standards!

I’ve got it! Instead of bringing our people to the standards, we bring the standards to them!”

• steve milosic says:

Where can I buy a couple of these?

• Zac Sullivan says:

I love this. You’re not selling them?

Zac
    @FretZeroMusic

• Zac Sullivan says:

I love this. You’re not selling them?

Zac

• Jay says:

Cool idea thanks Stumbleupon, however the movement to make it “cute” Destroyed its functionality. Wheres the melted wax supposed to go, all over your counter? Nice idea but it reminds me of those home and garden magazines, full of cute items that have no practical purpose except to fill empty space, that by the way was probably more trendy empty.

• Steuart says:

Hi Baas – They were also too late! I designed mine last centuary – in 1999!!

But both other versions are also nice.

Steuart

• User says:

Thats great it fits in sockets but who has sockets not hanging down from their ceiling, dripping wax?

• I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also
    with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one today.

• Julia says:

Nice idea but at 50 euros each don’t think they will catch on in a big.