It’s an Armchair then PRESTO

What do we want? Rocking chair! When do we want it? In under 20 seconds! Thats what you want. I know you do. You’ve got a chair that sits flat on the ground, you’ve got a rocking chair, but what you really want is 2 in 1. The “Fotel” by Budapest, Hungary designer Peter Vardai is just the loving spoonful you are looking for. And it’s got nice colors, too!

The aim of this project was to create a chair that no only looked good inside and out, was also comfortable in both places too. Not only that! But the chair had to be a rocking AND an armchair and be comfortable in both transformations, too!

The frames is made from carbon, the seat of comfortable elastic bands. Good for people who sweat profusely. I shall put this in my “transformers” file.

Maybe in my living room, too!

Designer: Peter Vardai

fotel01

fotel02

fotel03

fotel04

fotel05

• Christine says:

Interesting concept. Though doesn’t look quite stable and looks like a hassle to juggle when switching from rocking to sitting chair.

• Eric says:

Not sure why Christine says it doesn’t look stable. I think she’s entirely unaware of what Carbon means. Anyway, I think this is great, looks like I could flip this in less than 10 seconds if you ask me!

• Randall says:

The concept chair is awesome looking, but I do see an issue. The bows that are used when rocking back and forth become the arms of the stationery chair. This would cause issues if used on any surface that is dirty or if you have pets (the hair would static cling like crazy). A cool concept nonetheless.

• Eric says:

Good point. Actually in either situation the new arms were once on the floor. Seeing as I do have a dog, that would turn this into a furry chair for me real fast. Oh well, probably couldn’t afford one anyway, love carbon though…

• r2r says:

nice one 5 stars for creativity and use of material

• MikeK says:

A rocking chair with a low back is really not a comfortable concept, and the idea of using the rockers as armrests is a bit questionable — won’t they get dirty and a bit chewed up over time?

Still, I’d like to try one, especially with a high back.

• aec007 says:

The only problem I see is that the bottom of the rocking chairs get always scuffed up pretty bad with floor dirt and grit, so it might not look to good after flipping the chair over.

Other than that, It looks like a good design!

• dcartist says:

Problem with techy looking furniture like that is it doesn’t actually GO with anything… unless it’s rectangular and made of glass.
    Seriously, what can you match this with except a Z-gallerie coffee table?

• pmd says:

This is a great concept but not completely functional. The armrests in either configuration seem unusable. Also, the second picture looks like it could slip through if tilted forward slightly.

• Armchairs says:

This functional 2 in 1 chair is pretty neat not to miss the ventilated sitting surface, color combination too is cool.

• 3G says: