GPS Guided Dog

Guide Dogs for the blind folks generally come trained for taking them around the neighborhood and maybe an extra distance. This surely curtails mobility and independence in case they want to explore more than their usual territory. The Peepo GPS Device gives these people a certain degree of freedom to travel beyond the normal route. The GPS system charts the course and guides the dog to the desired destination using a series of vibrations to steer him.

The two-part device comprises of a handheld GPS unit, which uses vocal commands to register the destination and map it. The second attaches to the guide dog’s handle and gives subtle directions via vibration zones; L= Left, R= Right, F= Forward and up on arriving the destination, the zones simultaneously vibrate.

The biggest USP of this device is that it has a touch “return home same way function”, which is quite reassuring.

Designer: Jason Perkins

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

peepogps

peepogps2

peepogps3

peepogps4

Peepo GPS Device For Guide Dogs by Jason Perkins

This a James Dyson Award Entry, you can vote for it here.

• Betty says:

Betty

• I’m always excited to see designs that help improve people’s lives. Congrats to designer, Jason Perkins.

• julia says:

hmmm yes the cheating group… nice design but when a 34 year old decides to enter a student competition to win money that clearly is not needed as much as real students need it. the designer was able to afford US patenting of the product already where more needing students still struggle with buying there next meal.
    This is the perfect example of a harsh and cruel design world.

• Crysty says:

“Harsh and cruel design world”? Being blind is harsh! BLIND!!! Hello… thats cruel. Get a grip.

• Mike says:

Nice work, but….

I have to admit i agree with Julia, Along side the points she raised i would say i know a few of the entries in this years Dyson awards and there struggle in the public vote section. Unfortunately the public vote does not represent the quality of the work at all, its more a representation how many friends you can ask to vote for you.

• JamesT says:

I wouldn’t worry to much. Im also part of the awards. I guess your issues will be solved in the next stages, when the professionals at Dyson assess the work! At the end of the day, as you say, the work has only won a high school popularity vote that is easily swung, it does not add much integrity to the design at all by winning this stage! The general quality of work in the awards is very high!

• Julia says:

actually the peoples choice award is even more silly, you see when you type in your name and email they don’t make you confirm this, this means you can log in and vote for fake@fake.com which does not exist. so in the end it is not about who knows the most people, but about who has the most friends who are willing to sit down and vote constantly, logging them selves in under fake accounts and voting.

come on, no one can tell me that over 2000 people voted for this. especially not almost 1000 of them in the last 12 hours before the closing date.

• I got a RoamEO GPS Dog Tracking and Locator System and love it!

• Maria says:

I wanted to share my experience with SpotLight which helps pet owners reunite with their missing pets. Spotlight A-GPS Pet Locator is lightweight, easy to use and comes with so many unique features. Visit http://www.spotlightgps.com/ for more information.

• peepo gps has had widespread media coverage regarding its entrancey into the James Dyson Awards. BBC radio 5 , BBC radio 2 (5 million listners), BBC Wales , BBC Scotland and also mainstream press such as The Sun. In the later stages before the closing date i invested my own money into a strategic marketing plan which included
    e-marketing(50,000emails), digital display advertising in 2 capitols of the uk- London and Cardiff along with newdesigners. Guide Dog org,s around the globe have been contacted also from as far a field as Japan to Australia over the JDAwards opportunity. i invested considerable time and energies into this marketing -approximately 2months solid peepo pr work. I also have worked extremely hard to secure the financial injection for the US patent by WAG Welsh Assembly Goverment and peepo is currently seeking venture capitol for peepo gps ltd. i also struggle to find the money to find for meals and for everyday living. I wish all entrants the best with their endevour of making it as designers. best , Jason Perkins,director, peepo gps ltd.

• julia says:

well maybe you should have spent some more time on the model making…

• JamesT says:

When you look at the media coverage it was near the beginning of the awards and lasted a day. If you randomly had 50,000 emails sent out id be surprised even if you had 1 or 2 responses, Well done for putting the effort in. but like all public votes out there, its a little suspicious, in this case this was made increasingly worse by the Dyson awards not requiring email confirmation when signing up.

If the Dyson Awards where running any analytic software i would love them to confirm where all the votes came from. The only advice i can think of is may be if these accusations make you feel uncomfortable it may be worth asking them to back you up.

• Pete says:

i think it sounds like you should may be consider a job in marketing….

• Erica says:

Hi everyone,

The James Dyson Award is open to people that have graduated in the last three years. This means that an individual’s age isn’t relevant, but we do validate all entries with universities to check that the information on their student status is correct.

The voting system for the people’s choice is meant to be straightforward and not deter people voting; but this is the first time we’ve done it and your feedback on how to make it better is appreciated.

To reiterate a point already made, the people’s choice is just one part of the James Dyson Award.

Selected international judges will make the final decision on who wins, which will be announced in September.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks, Erica (from Dyson)

• Dear Erica,

Perhaps to put all entrants minds at rest 2010, perhaps a voting system via txt would be good, for ex . txt ‘JDA VOTE’ to 88888 : then the name of product you want to win . It would be very quick,accessable and avoid anyone needing to defend themselves. Most of the public only have access to one mobile phone.

I feel the american marketing agency that i consulted with for the last 2 months advised peepo well on its JDA advertising campaign , with my main allie the guide dogs org – peepo supported globally. With the leading brands in dog products such as pedigree chum,crufts etc contacted for their support. With both American and Japanese guide dog orgs pursued.peepo has had continuing coverage of for ex: insight radio – the main radio station for the visually impaired advertising peepo as nominee for JDA.
      peepo also has much support from China where its just been awarded for noble works. As you have stated the peoples choice is just part of the competition and the panel of engineers along with Mr Dyson will make the final desision, I wish all those entered the best of luck and may the most deserving & worthwhile design win.
      best, Jason Perkins,Director peepo gps

• Crysty says:

Oh my God, you self absorbed, whiny little brats! GPS FOR THE BLIND! Truly amazing. And 95% of the feedback are people boo-hooing about ‘voting, marketing, popularity, and school finances’. Get over yourselves. At least you have , I’m asuming, your vision. And yet, you are still blind. I pity you.

• Crysty says:

Jason Perkins. Absolutely ingenious. I rarely think of solutions for circumstances unless they directly affect my quality of life. Thanks for helping me think outside of my little box. Your brilliant!

• julia says:

the comments are not concerning the design but the cheeting in a contest and by the way there is gps for the blind, you can use and gps as a blind, they all talk to you!

• melissa says:

They may talk to you, but i am deaf blind and would love a peepo to help me get around new areas without having to drag a friend or family member with me. I think it is amazing and cannot wait till i have one to try it out on my guide dog so i can go up to london and not worry about getting lost.

• melissa says:

• Thanks designed for sharing such a pleasant thinking,
    post is fastidious, thats why i have read it entirely

• At this moment I am going to do my breakfast, later than having
    my breakfast coming again to read additional news.

• I think what you composed was very logical.
    But, what about this? what if you wrote a catchier post title?
    I am not saying your content is not solid, however suppose you added a post title that makes people desire more?
    I mean Peepo GPS Device For Guide Dogs by
    Jason Perkins Yanko Design is kinda boring. You ought
    to look at Yahoo’s front page and watch how they create news titles to grab viewers to click.
    You might add a related video or a picture
    or two to grab people interested about everything’ve written.
    Just my opinion, it would bring your posts a little livelier.