Plan Your Cycle Route In Advance

Just the other day Takashi and I were talking about getting back into shape and it even inspired him to go out and get himself a bicycle. Like a kid with his new muse, these days Tak can often be seen riding downtown Tokyo, so if you’re in the vicinity be sure to stop him and say hi! Anyways my point about his bike is that it lacks a qualified navigation system, so I asked a designer friend to help me out here. Ross came up with this VeloCity Cycle Route Guide, which I quite fancy.

The neat gadget clamps up to the handle bar and includes audio as well as visual guide. You simply need to hook up the device to your comp and download the desired route from an online map. Turn by turn, the VeloCity rattles of the directions and simultaneously displays the map on the screen. Of course GPS and Bluetooth come into play as well.

Just so you know how well you exercised, the device gives you a feedback on your performance as a power biker!

Way to go Tak! Keep biking and I’m sure you’ll shed those extra inches soon!

Designer: Ross Kemp

• Lamah says:

Is it just me, or does the screen point *away* from you when you hold it in your hand as shown? Looks like you’d have to tilt it at least 45 degrees or more for it to be legible.

• Henrique Staino says:

It is meant to be used attatched to the handlebar.

• Lamah says:

Of course, but half of the pictures show it being held in the hand. Apparently the designer thinks it would be useful to use it while holding it.

• It’s a really nice design, but the display would be unreadable. In daylight, the plastic would just reflect sunlight into your eyes and, even if it’s matt the sun would wash out the display.
    In the darkness it would be ok but quite probably lethally distracting.

• kudo’s for building a model first off, second you might want to talk to garmin and or polar about making it real.

• Sean says:

great idea, but grey and orange? it doesn’t look like something i’d want to buy. it’s a bit ugly with all due respect. well done on the model though as said above.

• matt says:

very nicely done Ross. I’d buy one

• matt says:

very nicely done Ross. I’d buy one
    Ooops, should have said good post! Waiting for the next one!

• Lamah says:

One more thought: Once I get to my destination with this thing, what do I do with it? To be able to upload routes to it on a regular basis, it must be easily detachable. But that same attribute means that it’ll be easily stolen from my parked bike. It’s too big to keep in my pocket when I’m away from my bike.

Limiting it to “round trip” usage (home back to home) is kind of lame. What if I want to use it to navigate an unfamiliar route to a public place?

• tobe-ann says:

Where can we find it?

• ぅりせち says:

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are