Like Most Fans, This One Gets Tired

I don’t think anyone can argue that eventually, if humans don’t get green active, the earth is going to get used up. But true to form, humans don’t really give much of a hoot about such things. What Addi Design Group wants to say is: you should feel this pull physically, every single day. (Or at least every day you need a fan.) With “Our Biggest Fan” who’s head, when not in use, droops down like a wilted flower. Sad, huh?

The fan is activated and kept upright by a leather strap running down its back. When the strap is unhinged, the fan stops spinning and the head droops down. When you need air, you re-pull the strap.

Addi says this cute couple of sentences about the fan: “Global warming needs to be stopped. The problem itself is very big and it sure needs a very big group of fans to make a difference.” AWWW.

The thing I wonder is: with such big spaces between the guards around the spinning blades, what’s to protect my fingers from global chopping off?

And yes, I have been that silly before.

Designer: Addi Design Group

• Todd says:

Chris I love your articles and am a happy subscriber. However:

“…I don’t think anyone can argue that eventually, if humans don’t get green active, the earth is going to get used up.”

Here is one vote arguing that.

“…But true to form, humans don’t really give much of a hoot about such things.”

Many humans – like us in our 40s – have seen snake oil like the green movement many, many times before, in infinite iterations. It is 100% pure marketing… and I’m a marketer.

Your statement shows the power of the green movement as a marketing tool. As religions have God on their side, environmentalists have the Earth. In both cases, dispute is an apostacy.

• Chris Burns says:

Thank you for the kind words, Todd. While I do believe that Green is a marketing tool, I’m always glad to see it become “cool”, even if the people using it to sell don’t always have best intentions.

As for how I put it in this post: you’re right. Sometimes I get excited when I can use the words “green active” and “hoot”. A NOTE TO ALL READERS: take my words with a grain of salt. I get silly.

On the other hand, I’m a believer in the Allan Weisman line of thought : that no matter what we do, once we’re gone, the earth will heal:

for a silly visual that’s mostly buildings falling down, check out the History Channel’s knockoff special: http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people

• Todd says:

Chris being excited is just what fine writers do. So don’t change!

• pat says:

The product encourages us to keep it running (on electricity), because when turned off, it’s sad. How is that “green”? Looks great though!

• Sean says:

agreed – nice looking design – but man they lost the plot with message it sends out – tell them to read cradle to cradle.

• Eric says:

I think the strap thing is a little weird to begin with. Maybe if we have to work for it instead of using a remote, we’ll be inclined to think about what we’re doing more consciously? That’s all I could milk from it, because I see this as not saving energy (which would actually be green) and only using “green” as a marketing ploy. And why can’t we call it what it is? It’s not a fancy “leather strap,” it’s a used belt. Lol!

• TonTon says: