Your Fridge Sucks, This One’s Better

We all know CFC and HFC’s damage the ozone layer, and it’s only a matter of time when HFC’s will be banned just like CFC’s were in 1996. But what our freezers? There’s been much debate regarding passive eco cooling and thermoelectric cooling – now Oceania, designed by Tez Patel brings both technologies together in his eco fridge design.

The top three tiers are separately cooled using magnetic refrigeration which can be turned on or off using a digital interface. The bottom section is passively cooled using water and ceramic materials, and can reach temperatures sufficient enough to store fruits, vegetables, and bread. The fridge is connected to the water main just like a washing machine, which allows water to enter and stored in a reservoir within the fridge, passively cooling the compartment. The water can then be reused or drained.

There are other eco-saving design elements too. The conventional large fridge door has been replaced with full extension drawers, reducing cold air loss when opened. The drawers also enable the user to reach at the back of the fridge with less muss and fuss. The clear front panels and the lazy susan at the top enables the user to browse before opening the drawer.

The digital interface is loaded with clever tricks. Using RFID technology, it informs the user what items are in the fridge, possible recipes, and your food’s sell by date. It also alarms the user when hot food is placed in the fridge, and automatically turns compartments off when not in use.

And to top this eco theme off, all materials are biodegradable or recyclable.

Designer: Tez Patel

Water is used directly from the main pipe and is stored in a reservoir housed by ceramic insulation. This is able to cool the compartment to temperatures suitable for fruit and vegetables.

The water does not make any contact to unhygienic surfaces, which means it may be reused for domestic usage.

The process is similar to a boiler and a washine machine. The same pipe connections are used.

• Tony says:

Brilliant design. Great styling. Excellent execution.

Where can i get one – hehe

• Jason says:

I’ll take it!

• Sarah says:

Lovely design. I so badly want one!!!!

I saw his work a while back. Not suprised to see it here 🙂

More info at http://www.coroflot.com/tez

• Bee says:

Absolutely brillant!!!!

• Nikki says:

Excellent design, very well styled, I would love to buy one?

• sikantis says:

I’m interested in evey kind of eco-friendly alternative technology and I’m wirting about it in my blog http://www.sikantisearth.com. This idea here is simply great! I try to get more information!

• Shiella says:

Nice design…Make my kitchen looks sophisticated :)…

• TH says:

Looks good and sounds good. I like the way these different cooling methods have been brought together.

• owais says:

luvin ya work mitesh keep up the good work

• Craig says:

I do love the idea and function this refrigerator. What I automatically associate the refrigerator drawers as plastic storage bins that are bought at many department stores. The problem with this I think these curved plastic storage drawers as cheap. I know this product is not but my association is still there.

• Meg Roberts says:

No plastic here i’m afraid. I would have to agree that plastic is, and does look cheap – but in this instance your assumption is wrong. It is in fact made from glass – which i think looks magnificant. The curved glass window design does stand out, and makes sense from a visibilty point of view. Together with brushed metal, and black ceramic finish – its eye candy.

I contacted the designer in regard to a magazine article, and and he tells me its made of a patent glass materail designed by the Bayer Science Group. I will post the link soon.

• I’d like to get this!! I have no ref~ in my home 🙁