Convertible Ramp

The user-friendly Convertible is a flight of functional stairs that changes into a ramp for wheelchairs. By simply pushing a lever, the flight of steps shifts and become a slope. The device has been designed for a low construction cost, easy installation, and minimal maintenance.

Designer: Chan Wen Jie

Shares 10.6K

• Ray says:

How do the people with disabilities activate it if they are alone?

• Diane says:

Nice option for a 3 or4 step climb anything longer and you would never be able to push the wheelchair up–

• Brian says:

This would never work for a person in a wheelchair. The standard ramp is 1:12 slope (up 1″ for every 12″ forward). This ramp would be 7 times steeper. not only would it be near impossible to go up, even for a motorized chair, but coming down it would cause you to go so fast that when you hit the bottom, you’d flip forward onto your face.

A cool solution would be stairs that turn into a lift, like this:

I’ve seem a few different companies that make similar items, but the video on this site was a nice visual.

• Dave says:

Extreme sports for wheel chair users!

• Hunter says:

I agree with Brian. Only wheelchair athletes (and few of them, I imagine) are able to push themselves up such an incline. Even with assistance (Render 3) this would be almost impossible.

• Alex says:

Not to mention it would be dangerous if someone at the bottom would accidentally activate it while someone on a wheelchair is using it.

• Hunter says:

True dat.

• Pingback: Convertible ramp
  • stephen russell says:

Must for Home Medical use alone
    For apts, condoes, hotels, resorts, malls
    cruise ships?
    other venues
    Nice
    Mass produce & sell online & med equip stores.

• Aber says:

That’s exactly what I keep saying, these design win lots of “awards” which barely go through the research, so many of these “seems good but actually garbage” concept can win like Red Dot Award.

• Sarreq Teryx says:

that would be far too steep on most stairs. if it also slid out from the bottom a bit (at least another 1.5 feet, i think), it may be doable.

• A guy who likes this invention says:

I love this

• Weisen says:

This ramp is not suitable for people with disabilities. It is far too inclined. If the purpose is to promote the autonomy of the person … he missed.

• I’d love this to haul my rolling luggage or grocery dolly up rather than having to do the bump-jump!

• elaine hawk says:

I would like to purchase this convertible ramp

for my husband so that he could get in our basement during bad weather

• Elizabeth says:

This is a great idea. They are on the right track, but I think the design needs more work. Lot’s of businesses and companies face huge fines for not meeting ADA requirements. It’s a “step” in the right direction.

• bobo says:

great for house with limited space and children. they can walk up and slide down!
    where can i buy one.

• bobo says:

great for inhouse children as slide

• J. Anthony Carter says:

You gotta’ just love all the love people give. On this site and just about every other site where someone is allowed to comment on someone else’s ideas and concepts.
    No, it won’t work! No, you can’t do that! No way! It’s unfeasible!
    Is there anyone here who thinks this IS a good idea? Maybe not EXACTLY for the use stated but as an adjunct to other activities or life functions. Most people in wheelchairs aren’t so incapacitated they can’t utilize this product. The ones who are can quite often acquire assistance from passersby, friends or relatives.
    People with walkers or canes could reasonably utilize this product as well. Why say no to everything you didn’t think of first just because you didn’t think of it?
    If you believe there’s a problem or hiccup in the design or function, why not just contact the designer/manufacturer and discuss your ideas with them? You may find out your preconceived notions are wrong because of something not obvious to you from the picture or description.
    Constant nay-saying is really quite an irritant and I truly believe that we, as a people, should support those with ideas and products who are trying to make the world a better place.
    Negativity actually accomplishes absolutely nothing except give the floor to someone who has nothing constructive to say but HAS to hear the sound of their own voice.
    Help people! If you’ve nothing good to say, say nothing!

• Graham Owen says:

Nice comment J. Anthony. I just ran across this site while looking for a way to turn a ramp going down to my dock into stairs and think this is an awesome idea for that application. The water level varies greatly and my dock moves up and down 25 feet during different times of the year. I would like to have stairs when the water is low in the summer and a flat gangway when it is almost level during high water in the winter.

• alex says:

how much does this Convertible Ramp cost?

• Jeannie says:

It’s hard to come by well-informed people in this particular subject,
    but you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

• Mh says:

Make it collapsible to fold up and you have a dog ramp with stairs up and ramp down that can go in the vehicle.

• please sent me information on you step ramp please

• Alaka Ayo says:

I would like to order the convertible stair ramp. How much does it cost? And please provide me all the necessary details. Thanks