Singapore Calling – Live Coverage of the 2011 red dot concept design

One of the biggest highlights of the red dot presentation ceremony in Singapore is the catwalk that the winners do. As they take center-stage, rejoice and strut their booty, YD will be there to capture each and every moment of their glory! Facebook, Twitter and this very homepage will be your window to Singapore! Come, take a peek….

After the successful coverage of the reddot Gala in Germany, YD heads over to Singapore to mingle with the concept design winners. As a part of the team to be present live on site, I am super excited to explore the red dot museum, gain insights into the winning concept design and generally chat with Ken Koo, the main force behind concept design awards. And of course there will be plenty of pictures and videos to capture the essence of the event.

On 25th November, the event will begin with a cocktail reception and then proceed to the presentation of the red dot award: design concept 2011. A Winner’s Special Exhibition at the museum soon follows this. The evening promises to be magical and we don’t want you to miss any of the fun.

If you have any questions, requests or suggestions of what you would like to see or want to meet up at the event, do leave me a comment in this post.

Catch us Live on Facebook and Twitter 6:30 pm (Singapore Time; 2:30 am PST) onwards.

Shares 39

• bao nguyen says:

is the exhibition still open till December 8th? I wont be there until that date.

• tytung says:

The Nokia Gem phone concept does not worth the Best of the Best of Red Dot award. It’s not original.
    I had the exact same idea and posted it on my blog 8 months ago:

• Radhika Seth says:

Will confirm that for you, when I get there!

• tytung says:

Thank you very much !

You may also need to ask them if this is their first public reveal of the concept. If so then my publication of the idea on the web is definitely earlier than theirs.

Also, I found that the way their group leader talk about the device is very similar to my description. He said “Now, when you launch an application like the camera, your mobile phone still looks like a mobile phone, but with GEM, when you launch the camera application, the whole phone looks like a camera.” (http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/11/10/nokia-gem-what-sort-of-phone-do-you-want-today/).

Where in my blog I said “having all its body covered by an app makes the app break free of the confines of our normal phones. This essentially transforms the device into the app itself”.

Essentially the same thing – changing the entire device into an app.

• A says:

@tytung: The design team at Nokia wouldn’t have started working on this idea yesterday. To be able to conceive, create a use cycle, deduce a user interface, model the form, animate the use cycle, and publish the project takes months if not more than a year. Posting a vague idea on your own blog after waking from a dream of the product is not the same as thinking through the whole process and taking the time to present the idea as a complete concept. It’s a nice idea that a million people could have had after being inspired by a touch screen interface. Claiming to own that idea without even having proof of its feasibility is just like saying “I was the first to see an alien space craft, so all the other people who said they saw one are just copying me”.

Applaud the fact that your idea might actually be able to come to fruition (bringing an idea as radical as this to market without the support of an entire design and manufacturing team would take decades and billions) and move on to your next idea.

Keep designing and someone will notice your work.

• tytung says:

Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

Just for your information, the description on my blog was intentionally vague on the details, so that anyone who might be interested will have to contact me for details.

It was not just a “dream”, I myself have a whole proposal on the novel UI, and the revolutionary functions. The usage of the Gem phone as shown in the video, on the other hand, are mostly ornamental, shallow, and are anything but revolutionary. It’s a waste of the idea.

Besides, my aim is not just to design the products, but a whole new way for human to deal with technology, and data. I am not a designer.

• A says:

I’m glad to hear more on your idea and I understand your motives for the vague post. You should contact the Nokia Reseach Centre ( http://research.nokia.com/ ) to see if they would value your input. Have you investigated patents?

• A says:

@tytung: FYI, an interview with Dr. Dr Kärkkäinen of Nokia Research Centre:
    “I mention the GEM concept that impressed so many of you, wondering when that will become a reality.

Dr Leo laughs. “I’m glad you like that,” he said. “We invented that five years ago. We are beyond that now.””

Source: http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/11/22/nokia-scientist-predicts-telepathy-phone/