Smart Fridge Is Your New Recipe Card

The Smart Fridge here is for those who have shunted cooking to a hobby and rely more on designer microwave meals. The idea is to give you a fridge that is intelligent enough to come up with a healthy recipe, depending on what you stock in it. Not only that, it guides you with vocal instructions, spoon by spoon, till you dish out the perfect-wholesome meal. A touch interface door glams up the appliance, creating the desire to own a piece that’s futuristic but may not be what you’re looking for!

Designer: Ashley Legg

Smart Fridge by Ashley Legg

smart_fridge

smart_fridge2

smart_fridge3

smart_fridge4

smart_fridge5

smart_fridge6

smart_fridge7

smart_fridge8

smart_fridge9

• Graeme says:

If only it had a water and ice dispenser on the front… Can it sync with my iphone so I can see what I have/don’t have?

• Rob Holden says:

Hand jamming everything in the fridge would be a pain, have to agree with the other on that. Here is, perhaps, a better way. I'm open to Beta testing it if you like! :-)

Ideally, the 'fridge would be equipped with smart shelves that actually weigh products. Also, the unit should include multiple scanners (in / out) and connect to the Web for data. Local db will always be limited. Anyway, the scanner should scan the product when you put it in the first time, and every time you pull and replace that item.

Now, if the item pops up in the database (say, a 16oz bottle of Mt. Dew) the fridge would identify that it was placed on the third shelf and that it was only half full. It could do this because 16oz of water = 1.03 lbs. I'm not sure if there's a delta for Mt. Dew, but these things could be added / updated over time as well. When I open a jar of Pace Picante sauce and return it half full, one month later the fridge should alert me to the toxic waste that's developing in the fridge. It should also alert me to the sweet pickles I never opened that have been sitting in the back of the fridge for the past eighteen months. (I should probably just tell me to return said pickles before I put them in!)

As products in the fridge are used up, the fridge should build a grocery list and every Saturday morning forward the list to the smartphone application it communicates with so I can quickly get in and out of the grocery store. (Be kind, support iPhone, BB, Droid, etc…no vendor snobbery)

Of course, since my phone has a GPS built in, it would identify local stores and know which grocery stores I have a preferred shopper accounts with. Based on my selection, it would connect to a product layout (database) application that plots the location of all of my items in the store. As an added benefit, each item would be compared against the store brand and competitor brands for price and user reviews, making recommendations available on request. The application would provide a total up front as well, so I can take cash to the store and avoid "deviating from the program" and blowing my budget on Ho-Ho's, Hot Rod magazines and Guinness (unless they're all on the list :-) )

Regarding recipes, owner should be able to connect to one/any food websites they like, as well as grocery stores that publish recipes on their site. Recipes often include dry and canned goods, so the unit should be able to scan and identify items that are NOT stored inside. Bag of flour, check. Owner hand jams that the flour is on the top shelf of the cupboard next to the stove. Recipe calls for 2 cups of flour, 12 oz milk, two eggs, pinch of salt, whatever whatever whatever, and the fridge tracks it all and alerts the owner when it's time to buy more.

Owner should be able to choose their holidays for special alerts – Christmas, when/where to buy ham, etc, – Ramadan, every time the door opens during the day the fridge breaks out in frantic ululation over breaking the fast – Catholics, don't cheat on Friday, you'll be berated by a nun or Father O'Leary. Whatever.

All of this could be add-ons, and third party interesting stuff. The grocery stores would very likely compete to have this kind of in-house product placement.

So, about that Beta test… :-)

• Rob Holden says:

Of course, since my phone has a GPS built in, it would identify local stores and know which grocery stores I have a preferred shopper accounts with. Based on my selection, it would connect to a product layout (database) application that plots the location of all of my items in the store. As an added benefit, each item would be compared against the store brand and competitor brands for price and user reviews, making recommendations available on request. The application would provide a total up front as well, so I can take cash to the store and avoid “deviating from the program” and blowing my budget on Ho-Ho's, Hot Rod magazines and Guinness (unless they're all on the list :-) )

So, about that Beta test… :-)

• Christine says:

I too would be willing to be a beta test subject, but I’m wondering, will the capitalistic companies be able to monitor our intake and use this information against us? Lol

• William says:

What about inserting a receipt? The machine could scan it in, and it encourages people to keep their receits.

• William says:

• A love the idea, just i hope that some one would be determin to make one of these!

• Anders says:

that would be really fucking expensive

• casazaza says:

Better hardwire this new fridge unit to the toilet – then we can more accurately determine how much groceries are necessary to purchase compared to the quantity of toilet paper being consumed. When the final piece of the chain gets implemented – as in your bathroom scale data being figured into the equation, we can then determine whether it is a question of getting more beer to offset the intake of bread and other carbs, or perhaps acquiring more high-grade marijuana which will automatically regulate the prospective Cheetos expenditure against intended ice cream purchases.

• Ash says:

Lets get Apple to pick up this task!
    Though expensive, if you knew what food you had in your fridge, if it were bad, or could generate a recipe you haven't thought of to use the food – in the long run it would begin by saving money spent on expired food and eliminate more waste from the environment. Could possibly be a great tool to use for dietary purposes and lets face it.. since America is gaining an even higher obese population, don't we need something like this to help trim down and create alternatives for the overly salty, transfatty frozen foods that we all keep in our freezer!
    Lets get this thing rolling!! I'll buy one!!

• Heather says:

that… is SO FANCY!

• xlx007 says:

interesting and functional use of fuzzy logic algorithm software combined with sensors/voice integration in electronic appliance!

• Tech Logos says:

Technology rises up to top level, to see this type of technology that it may helps to consume lots of time, well this fridge is beyond our thinking. Great post.

• Someone necessarily help to make severely articles I’d state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and up to now? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this actual submit extraordinary. Magnificent job!

• You got there some really great ideas. Fridge is fabulous!

• Stephen says:

hey:
    I visit this website regularly but i’ve only just come across this. i too see myself as a product designer/inventor, and i also redesigned a fridge that looked much like yours.

i really like your idea, despite what everyone is saying. i believe that i have ideas i can take from mine to help you as i believe with designing abilities like that of yours, you can go far.

Stephen

• Rebeca says:

A scanner like on my smartphone could scan most items you buy and add them to the inventory list along with their nutritional information much like the app “lose it”.

• It’s really a great and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

• Don’t try to say to yourself that your pain is silly and just sweep it away.
    Before contacting an ex, an analyzation must occur. You do not have to attend to his concerns or compromise
    your own schedule when he feels like doing something spontaneous
    with you.

• ‘ Out of total number of seats reserved under clause (1) not
    less than one third seats shall be reserved
    for women belonging to the SCs and STs. Suddenly you’ve made him
    very interested again, and by doing absolutely nothing.

I will not tell parents how to raise their children.

• Mckenzie says:

They’re not doing it themselves, they’re going to the
    Russians to do the same thing. With all the dueling monologues,
    there is no dialogue. For cash games, you should always sit
    down at the table with at least 20-25 buy-ins for the level you intend to play at.

• peter mark says:

today technology is changed in every day.this is the time to change the world.there are many tecnology books.Read and share these with your friends.