Pencil Printer Part Two

The refined Pencil Printer part II comes with detailed explanations and a better understand of saving the environment from paper trash and permanency of Ink! In here we see how the lead shavings feed the cartridge toner and prints effortlessly on paper. Mistakes are easily erased, and once the crappy memo is done with…you can erase all the gibberish and re-use the paper. A true test of erasing skills!

Designers: Hoyoung Lee, Seunghwa Jeong & Jin-young Yoon

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

Pencil Printer by Hoyoung Lee, Seunghwa Jeong & Jimyoung Yoon

pencil_printer22

pencil_printer23

pencil_printer24

pencil_printer25

• Hunter says:

cool concept? yes. greenwashing? yes.

• Jose Maria says:

it’s nonsense talk about it, though it doesn’t exists, and there’s no info about the tech involving the printing.

• Some Guy says:

There are plenty of people who throw away pencil stubs containing an inch of lead.
        There are plenty of people who throw away pencils that wont sharpen containing 1'' to 6' inches of lead.
        There are plenty of people who throw away pencils with bad erasers.
        There are plenty of people who throw away pencils that snapped in half.
        There are plenty of people who throw away pencils that split down the center.
        Add all of that together. Good Idea. Less Trash. Less cartridges.

• Some Guy says:

There are plenty of people who throw away pencils with bad erasers.
        There are plenty of people who throw away pencils that snapped in half.
        There are plenty of people who throw away pencils that split down the center.
        Add all of that together. Good Idea. Less Trash. Less cartridges.

• ray says:

This is NOT green design.Yes,Paper made by wood. But Pencil also made by wood. I think this concpet is more waste wood and design looks weird.

• Rok says:

And also the rubber used for erasing would polute the eviroment even further.

• Paula says:

it could be a good idea but I agree with this post, cause what it seams, you end up wasting more pencil with one page printing than you do with one paper.
      and almost no one will erase all the page to reuse, if they will, we will need a lot more rubber to erase it all.

• Gunnar Tveiten says:

There isn’t any lead in pencils, there’s a bit of graphite in the middle though.

• anchi kao says:

i think no one would erase the paper while incorrect printed…seems like a waste of time though..

• Renan de Araujo says:

I really like the concept of using the lead in it, and even the possibility of erasing. It could do wonders for some illustrators workflow, I’d certainly use it for that purpose.
    But I still have a few questions:
    Is this a concept to avoid waste? Because it wastes on pencil.
    Was it thought as a way to find easy and cheap ‘ink’ when you ran out? Because you might not have an expensive cartridge lying around, but there’s a good chance there is a pencil.
    is it possible to use just the lead? Like those you buy for mechanic pencils?

Gunnar: I agree with you but I’m pretty that people call those fillings ‘lead’.

• Chandra Murali says:

I agree with you Renan.
      Instead of wasting wood for pencils, the design could be modified to use a direct graphite rod. It can be truly useful and almost green.

• cao says:

I like…….

• Pingback: pencil printer.
  • brack says:

i think it’s a great idea. of course its not green, but the idea of using already produced pencil stubs for documents is amazing and would gain the appeal of many because of the crazy cost of ink.

• StereoTypo says:

what about the fact that you can’t you GRAPHITE, not Lead [Pb], as toner? this doesn’t work as a printing technology! The concept is very beautiful. however someone should have looked up “printing” on wikipedia. I hate to a cynic on a very clean design such as this one, but the main principle is flawed!

• Vijaykanth says:

It is wonderful invention

• Mouse says:

A more efficient method is putting the pencil inside an old style pen plotter printer.

• AJ says:

Sorry if this sounds obvious.

Why not just… use the pencil to write the note in the first place?

If the idea is that it’s for crappy temporary notes, then that’s what people already use pencils for. This thing would use electricity too, and waste pencils, since it apparently strips the wood off to get at the graphite (pencil “lead”).

• treez says:

Well…I have to say that its a bit disappointing that this is the "revised" pencil printer. I mean, nothing major has been solved with these changes, in fact most of them seem good but are really trivial. What happens to the wood from the pencil after you use up a whole pencil every five minutes? it just goes in the trash? Also, while a bit less impractical, I think that the original design was much better that this one. But I must admit that this one wins in terms of portability and convenience. All in all, I'm still a fan of this concept, but it just needs more work.

• treez says:

Well…I have to say that its a bit disappointing that this is the “revised” pencil printer. I mean, nothing major has been solved with these changes, in fact most of them seem good but are really trivial. What happens to the wood from the pencil after you use up a whole pencil every five minutes? it just goes in the trash? Also, while a bit less impractical, I think that the original design was much better that this one. But I must admit that this one wins in terms of portability and convenience. All in all, I'm still a fan of this concept, but it just needs more work.

• Nova says:

AJ is totally right! (2 comments up).

• Nova says:

AJ is totally right! (2 comments up).

• Aey says:

where can i buy the pencil printer

• Kevin Wang says:

if it’s erasable, why print it? Printing is for documents to keep and to proof, that’s why pen’s exist.

Gotta say nice thinking, but this product does not work.

Preview before printing~

• Rem says:

Conceived just wonderful, but if with lead, it would be even better!!!

• Michael says:

I want to buy it, now!! very nice concept!

• michel doffagne says:

The earlier model looks as a book. It was interesting.
    This design is great, minimalistic; I love it.
    It looks a little bit as a pencil…
    The aim of the concept, is to use the carbon of the pencil. I think it will be difficult to build a print head using this powder.
    The more easy way is to re-invent the plotter, using the pencil as printing device.
    Do you know the Kickstarter site ?
    You can present your project to find bakers…

• drbob says:

Interesting, but I’d like you to write better english or at least typeproof what you post

• Anon says:

I like this idea, but I prefer the printer with the eraser.
    Is this technologically possible? A graphite printer would be great, especially if there are ‘pencil’ and ‘eraser’ settings.

• Anon says:

Erasable, environmentally-friendly ink would be good too.

• Mitch says:

What about the trees wasted in making the wooden pencils? Wouldn’t it be a better idea to make graphite cartridges?

I mean who even uses wooden pencils anymore?

• Edd Starnes says:

This is a great idea and though it is not completely “Green” it’s design does address conservation and existing waste. The reduction of ink usage is a big plus, the revised usage of wasted pencils is a big plus, and the minimal design is a great plus. I haven’t seen it produce graphics, but if it has that capability along with text then it is a great option to bulky, expensive to use, ink printers. The cost of ink is the most prohibitive problem common to current printers. Since more than 60% of printing is of text, black ink or graphite would be the most appropriate. The reduction of paper use is a personal decision problem that has to be addressed with education to the computing populous. The machines we print with is also a personal decision but with minimal options. The more options available will make better choices easier to make economic and green decisions.

• Demoth says:

Two settings on the same machine. Setting 1 makes 100 copies grinding down a mostly used pencil. Setting 2 makes 1000s+ copies using packaged or user/hobbiest created graphite rods which would cost pennies a foot.

• Michael lord says:

I would love to buy this product. I would also like to know when it’s in stores and which stores.

• Megs says:

Pencils are made up of lead and wood. To make a pencil we need to cut down more trees.
    If the printer can use directly the lead to print instead of pencil, then truely it will save the trees .

• Kimster1 says:

Great idea — don’t get discouraged. It may not necessarily save the Earth but it is an good alternative to toner and ink printers. Keep at it. I love the portability of it — especially when thinking of needs of those who can’t get access to printers readily. Press on!

• Helpful information. Fortunate me I found your web site accidentally, and I am
    shocked why this coincidence didn’t happened in advance! I
    bookmarked it.

• Has a working prototype been produced? I would love to know if the chemistry behind this could actually work? And like another comment said – surely just putting a pencil in an old style plotter would be similar? Although perhaps slower.

• Rain says:

Will this printer EVER be made? If so when? This design has been kicking around the web for over 5 years. Get it on the market, I want one. It would save so much paper in my office, being able to erase and make client changes as they sit there and make remarks/suggestions on what the y want changed in the design. Final prints can be printed from ink printers.
    E-mail me when it come available, I would prefer a 12 inch wide by 20 inch or longer (roll?) format.

• AzrialSkye says:

This would be a godsend for artists the world over.