Immortality Thru Japanese Robots

Japan wants to make robots to cover every segment of the market. Oboe is one designed for the elderly – sorta. In a creepy cybernetic way, Oboe contains all the knowledge, or will contain, everything your loved ones know before they pass. This way, they’re immortal since all of their experiences can be passed onto future generations.

Fast forward 1000 years from now and it won’t be surprising to find Earth populated with nothing but robots – conflicted because they remember being human.

Designer: Arnaud Deloustal

• zippyflounder says:

lol they are talking about thousands of terrabytes of information and show A HARD DRIVE……..jeeze.

• Iron Man says:

I thought the exact same thing

it looks cool though… and there are definitely certain things i would never tell a robot

• carl says:

utter tripe..

• Shiella says:

Hopefully this will not be end up like in Terminator where the robots try to kill humans :)

• Mike Adair says:

It will! Because Robots are more logical – and it´s more than logical to kill human race, because they are killing planet earth… face it!

“humans are the disease on this planet, Mr.Anderson!”

;=)

• ignorance is ignoran says:

Oh c'mon, did you see “Matrix Revolution”? When neo and trinity went up to the surface the robots hadn't done anything except make large power fields. If the robots in that movie had any logic at all they would have cleared those clouds once the humans went underground. Thus they would not only have solar power but the power that they were already taking from the human body. To be completely logical you must have a conscience. Also the most plausible scenario that could play out with robots is shown in, “I Robot”. Also the robots in the matrix didn't revolt because it was the logical reason they revolted because the humans were being dicks.

• ignorance is ignorance, not bliss says:

Oh c’mon, did you see “Matrix Revolution”? When neo and trinity went up to the surface the robots hadn’t done anything except make large power fields. If the robots in that movie had any logic at all they would have cleared those clouds once the humans went underground. Thus they would not only have solar power but the power that they were already taking from the human body. To be completely logical you must have a conscience. Also the most plausible scenario that could play out with robots is shown in, “I Robot”. Also the robots in the matrix didn’t revolt because it was the logical reason they revolted because the humans were being dicks.

• ignorance is ignoran says:

I understand the symbolism of the hard drive in the ball, but as people have said before me it would thousands upon thousands of terrabytes. Also to record information is one thing, but to record a persons memories and ideas, basically who they are in an attempt to defy death is wrong. We've screwed so many things up with the natural order of life on earth and everytime it has not gone well. Without death there is no life.

• V says:

Like the look of the robot, also agree, ur gona need heeps of space for the thing to store all that info.
    But hey, can be handy to have a robo to help me with my scatter brain!

• eric says:

i still prefer R2D2
    beeboop beep

• ignorance is ignorance, not bliss says:

I understand the symbolism of the hard drive in the ball, but as people have said before me it would thousands upon thousands of terrabytes. Also to record information is one thing, but to record a persons memories and ideas, basically who they are in an attempt to defy death is wrong. We’ve screwed so many things up with the natural order of life on earth and everytime it has not gone well. Without death there is no life.

• DesignGuru says:

I was thinking why the designer called this design “Oboe”, now I get it, Oboe in Japanese means to remember.

• Thus they would not only have solar power but the power that they were already taking from the human body. To be completely logical you must have a conscience. Also the most plausible scenario that could play out with robots is shown in, “I Robot”. Also the robots in the matrix didn’t revolt because it was the logical reason they revolted because the humans were being dicks.

• TH says:

What is knowledge, and how can you store it in any medium? How do you access it?

How do you store everything a carpenter ever knew?

Or perhaps this is yet another CAD exercise with blobs.

• Lim says:

Hahaha agreed….. Perhaps this is not design at all, just a point of reminder what we humans will be facing in the future for DAM sure…

• e says:

If that’s immortality, then give me death.

• e says:

That said, if it’s a fancy looking tape recorder that seniors can record their memories on easily, that is indexed and search-able, then it’s a fantastic tool to enable someone to leave a memoir who may be too frail to write/type out a tombe of the thoughts they collected over 80 years.

If it gives a 90 year old some peace of mind, then I’m all for it.

I think some way to index, search, edit & delete the records in an intuitive, technophobe-friendly way would be an essential requirement.

Marketing that as immortality in a box, I think is tacky beyond words.

• Igor Kolar says:

Now, if we disregard the part about it being unlikely to store your entire life on a hard drive, though I’m guessing if its by means of some already available media it might be. The elderly have only ‘recently’ started mounting vast information just like the rest of us, so it would just be the last few decades that are information intensive, and it is quite possible today with terabyte harddrives available to in fact store the information they collected throughout the years. That doesn’t exactly count as knowledge, but I’m guessing the designer just used the available, recognizable, pretty much only constant symbol for media storage.

As for the aesthetic feel to it, I think the robot looks very Japanese (duh) which I don’t find good, and that the little storage holder looks very Japanese which I thing is bloody amazing ? Paradox? Not at all, the ‘robot’ looks terribly generic much like most of what comes out of Japan, surely they could maintain the かわい factor and still make a few changes. The storage ball is a great example of simplicity and I find it great that it, at least from what is shown, seems to use a blend of new and old materials.

But I must agree with other readers here, if they’re really marketing it as immortality, that’s very cheap. Then again, perhaps when they say immortality, they might envision something completely different, I mean it IS Japanese isn’t it. But that’s just my opinion :)