Cryptex Mobile: Feel the code

Opus Dei has been needing a mobile phone to call their very own since the demise of the Knights Templar. If only designer Marc Schömann was catholic and lived 600 years ago, this baton style mobile phone might have saved them from a Dan Brown style disaster. This phone called “_______” (yup, it has no name) uses haptic technology to provide physical feedback for making a call. To turn it on…twist a section, to dial a number…twist a bunch of sections, to make an international call…break your wrist! There is no display and no buttons. The vibrate feature should prove popular with 50% of the world’s population.

Designer: Marc Schömann

Texts from the designer:

You turn the dial of every element to the desired cipher. If you entered the number you turn the first segment “to phone” (green LED). If you want to hang up the call you turn the first segment to “hang up” (red LED). The phone works without buttons and without a display and based on the old dial phones.

• Lim says:

Lame……

• zippyflounder says:

I like the comment “The vibrate feature should prove popular with 50% of the world’s population.” goes to show even crap has uses………….

• seth says:

I love it. I would buy it right now. It is so cool!

• eric says:

dumb dadumb dumb dumb

• WAY too much work to dial a number. Especially these days, when the phone remembers and can dial for you based on the name you tell it to call.

Totally outdated.

• marc schömann says:

hey guis you forget… its a concept, not real.
    it should merely show that there is something else than buttons, and it still works.

ps: its a just a telephone not a mobile phone.

• marc schömann says:

shure this phone is
    not functionable or usable,
    but it doesnt have to!

the clothes wich are presented on
    fashion shows are not wearable.
    just parts of it will be used later
    in “normal” collection.

and with this phone its the same,
    i use parts of it, ideas of it,
    the pros later. on a phone wich
    is usable and wich is functionable.

so on marc schmann

• marc schömann says:

hey guis you forget… its a concept, not real.

ps: its a just a telephone not a mobile phone.

• marc schömann says:

shure this phone is
    not functionable or usable,
    but it doesn´t have to!

the clothes wich are presented on
    fashion shows are not wearable.
    just parts of it will be used later
    in “normal” collection.

and with this phone its the same,
    i use parts of it, ideas of it,
    the pros later. on a phone wich
    is usable and wich is functionable.

so on marc schömann

• TH says:

Always great to have designers join in the discussion.

Could you give us examples of what you’d “use” from this concept, what’s your take home message from it?

Personally, I have to admit, the good old round dial seems handy and fast compared to this.

A phone I’d like to see would work based on names, not numbers. It would be linked to the social networks of my choice to keep people’s contact info up to date and to online directories to be able to dig up phone numbers of companies and people outside my network. It would use either VoIP or regular phone depending on whether the person I’m trying to call is online (e.g. logged on in Skype) or not.

The devices and media (email, IM, voicemail, paging, phone…) are less and less relevant, connectivity is the key. Systems need to be able to operate across platforms, and use whatever line of communication is open and available. Phone is a computer and a computer is a phone, and this blurring will continue.

Also, speed dialing and mobiles already killed our memory of phone numbers a decade or two ago – how many phone numbers of your friends do you remember by heart? Social networks and systems that use them (plus more advanced address books on computers) and handheld devices are doing the same to email addresses. Rightly so, name is much more important than having to remember whether it’s [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected], or whether he has switched operators or changed phone numbers since I last updated my phone book.

So much going on in this sector, that having a stick where you turn sections of it to form phone numbers seems a bit of a dead end concept to me.

• marc schömann says:

thanks for this really good post!
        i agree with that what you say.

in this case it is a concept without buttons,
        i make the same with buttons like other companys with dials.
        i use them for the wrong function.

buttons are good to dial, but they are bad for example to
        choose a mode.

with rotary switch is it much easier to select a mode.

that was my idea of this phone.

(and note this is NOT a moile phone its just a telephone)

• marc schömann says:

thanks for this really good post!
        i agree with that what you say.

in this case it is a concept without buttons,
        i make the same with buttons like other companys with dials.
        i use them for the wrong function.

buttons are good to dial, but they are bad for example to
        choose a mode.

with rotary switch is it much easier to select a mode.

that was my idea of this phone.

(and note this is NOT a moile phone its just a telephone)

• johnny says:

it’s interesting but… it is not functional !

• Here_we_go says:

I realize that they are making this phone to look pleasing and be a talking point but it needs to be somewhat practical for it’s use. I can’t imagine holding a stick to my head for a long period of time. It looks uncomfortable.

• Justin Vines says:

You all are crazy! It looks sexy!! No, I wouldn’t use it as my every day mobile phone but hell, it is interesting and very creative… I’d put it up for decoration to say the least!

• MayR says:

It’s crazy. This design might work for reality shows where you’re stuck in an island and you need to crack a code to be able to call a rescue team to get you outta there alive. But in real life, i won’t recommend this phone for daily use.

• Paul Hueter says:

AWESOME! Thank god there are still creative minds out there.

• jin_woo_han says:

Looks good but feel uncomfortable

• Sylus says:

Lol ,it’s antique.

• powaz says:

Neat design exercise. The vibrate comment was pretty funny.

• Очень забавные мысли, хорошо рассказано, все просто таки разложено по полкам 🙂

• Скетч says:

Очень забавные мысли, хорошо рассказано, все просто таки разложено по полкам 🙂

• AyuRangga says:

Dialling would have been alot faster. lol. Nice baton though~ 😉

• Guigo says:

I think is not functional as a mobile, because os the sms and photos, but as a cordless fone will be very intresting gadget.

• maisa says:

AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII EU TAMBÉM QUERO UM……
    ADOREEEEEIIIIIIIIIIII
    BJ DO BRASIL

• marina says:

caraa, muito da hora XD
    quero um!!

• Jerworcemot says:

Thanks for the pillar, i dont absolutely do much christmas shopping but hesitation -stairs, also i possess added you to RSS want detain working 🙂

• hanz says:

guys! its a “Concept TELEPHONE”, not a Mobile phone so dont expect it to be giving out something from a mobile phone.

• @x0fx3 says:

I like the design and concept.

• @x0fx3 says:

I like the design and concept.

• Having read this I believed it was really enlightening.
    I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this informative article together.

I once again find myself personally spending a significant
    amount of time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

• This info is priceless. When can I find out
    more?

• Dorine says:

You need to take part in a contest for one of the highest quality
    sites on the internet. I most certainly will recommend this web site!
    streetdirectory (Dorine)

• All have sufficient p if left for more than a number of hours to etch your marble.
    Securing helps, but nothing may reduce this-but maintaining acids off your counters.

For example, without getting a towel under it opening a wine can leave a
    round damage on your tables. Falls of wine/liquid left on tables during functions, etc.

• homepage says:

I do agree with all oof the ideas you have offered on your post.
    They’re very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts arre too short for novices.
    May you please lengthen them a little from next time?
    Thanks for thhe post.

• I love the idea. I would do almost anything to get one.

• Chesney says:

I аbsolutely love yoսr site.. Pleasant colorѕ & theme.
    Did үou build this sitе yourself? Please reply back as І’m planning to create my own website and wοսld like to learn where you got this from
    or exactly what the theme is named. Appreciate it!

• Marc Schömann says:

haha i just watched this up, seven years later and its just funny. Thanks for the comments, made me laugh!