Stick It In, Correct!

My iMac is placed facing its back to the wall and plugging in any USB wire is kinda shot-in-the-dark for me. Unless I turn the entire monitor to one side…you get my drift, right? As my struggle continues, I often wonder why couldn’t they design the plug-head to be more instinctive to hook-up. Something like the Eidetic USB; very obvious which way this plug goes in. Plus a random touch to the slot can confirm the way you slide it in. Superb!

Eidetic USB is a 2011 red dot design concept award winning entry.

Designer: Lim Jae Min

• Not good enough. Make the sides symmetrical (like euro power plug) will be the best solution.

• solevow says:

If I don not see any thing? what it would be ?How can I know which the right side >_<

• F.B. says:

Do anyone needs another USB connector type to get rid of the A type? What’s wrong with the polarized type B, mini and micro USB ones?

• Erik Moen says:

I’m really not impressed.

The USB spec already specifies which directions the slots are oriented for most applications, in particular they are always contacts down on laptops (unless they are vertical). Most people notice this after using them a few times. The plugs can be oriented by casting a glance at them, and easily inserted. In the case of plugs on cables, they have a standard embossed pattern to tactilely determine their orientation.

This also gives designers of usb connected devices knowledge of which orientation their device will have, and they can place light & c. on the top.

The design shown here, on the other hand, has every other slot upside down and 50% thicker connectors with reduced resilience against twisting, especially when interoperating with standard plugs.

About the lead-in slopes, the spec sets a few millimeters of space between the opening of the connector and the beginning of the thickening of the plug, which can be used by case designers to create a similar widening opening, or not if the space is needed for something else.

Also, a minor point, the illustrations shown have the two slots too close together to get two of the shown plugs into them at the same time.

• Dave says:

Easy. You have the receptacle with contacts on both sides. So it won’t matter which way the plug is inserted.

• Teto says:

no!is not a good way.

• Kid says:

@Dave – Yup.

• Bowasiel says:

With your idea, we still have the same problem. The best option is like this one: https://www.yankodesign.com/2011/01/25/this-usb-plugs-in-both-ways/

• Jimmy C says:

In any case, this is way better than current setups. I applaud this design!

• Actual User says:

Erik; I don’t agree with anything in this statement. You miss the whole point that by making the USB both physically and visually asymmetrical you greatly reduce the chance that it will be inserted the wrong way (especially when most of the time the USB port is not easily visible).

How does adding a bend reduce resilience? in every application i can think of, adding shape only increases the strength of a material…
    Can’t tell you how many standard USB’s i’ve snapped off and this design only looks more robust.

No reason to defend something that clearly has many design problems.

• tardkiller says:

and yet it still fails to address the original problem.

FAIL.