Written Messages

Rediscover the art of writing to your friends rather than typing on cold keyboards. Get it done with ‘Handwriting’, a digital tool fashioned as a pen that replicates this long forgotten art! Photoelectric sensors on the tip record your messages and transfer to your chat-friends via the Internet. Your friend’s chat appears on the side screen of the pen. Friends online and available for tête à tête are indicated via flashy lights and I think its kinda cool.

Designer: REN Fangying

• Nice concept !
    But the design of the scolling detail is a bit sad, and not integrated in the global style of the product, no ?

• Ashley says:

Bulky, functionally inefficient, limited to 6 friends, not aesthetically pleasing. You either have to turn the pen around in order to see a long message (if it’s displayed on different sides) or wait for it to scroll through the one-sided display, as there’s no apparent mechanism for it. Much more inefficient than texting.

What’s the target audience? 20-year-olds and under will laugh at this; 40 and over would just write an actual letter if they’re feeling nostalgic. So, maybe a couple people in the range of 30-40?

Now, instead of wi-fi, maybe if this were incorporated into a cellphone, as a Bluetooth accessory, it would be a *semi*-decent idea.

• Josep M. says:

I love this digital pen social, I dedicate a post on my site (in Catalan).

• Nathan says:

Nice Idea – Shame about my terrible handwriting

• Matthew says:

Pertaining to this comment, you gotta love the negativeness, sarcasm, and lame attempt to disguise it as constructive criticism.

• Matthew says:

@ Ashley’s comment.

• Ashley says:

I apologize that I had an opinion and wasn’t afraid to express it.

And by apologize, I mean “am proud”.

There is specific constructive criticism in my comment. There is also my personal opinion.

That’s how the real world works. That’s how the consumer market works.

• Jimmy C says:

@Ashley: Noone is proud that your opinion was negative. Let’s try to encourage each other around here, ‘kay?

• William Mills says:

I think you’ll find it can handle 31 friends (binary encoding).

• Kent says:

It’s not about what it can handle or how many possible light combinations can be illustrated. It’s about what the mechanism for choosing friends can select. The sliding mechanism can only pick between those 7 individual lights.

• chat says: