A Laptop so Minimal, it Hides

If you thought Apple couldn’t possible simplify the aesthetics of the MacBook Pro line any further, take a look at the HIDE laptop. The ultra minimalist design hides all ports when closed. Aside from the small hinge and indentation to help lift the cover, it just looks like a solid aluminum block. It’s naive and utilitarian. I really like it.

Designer: Youri Hong

• Ben says:

It's so naive until it's opened. I had expected a better solution to hide ports. The big border ruin the aesthetic of laptop

• Ben says:

• chybee says:

How would you charge it? Only with open lid? Looks interesting but from usability point of view it is not a surprise such design has never been released 🙂

• mischa says:

Totally agree. It's the less convenient laptop I ever see, if you have it on a desk you have to unplug everything before turning it on sleep

• chybee says:

• mischa says:

• Agree with you on this one, looks great but a case of form over function. Not great if you want to use it docked with an external monitor and peripherals unless you can afford to go wireless 🙂

• It's quite ugly, actually. I prefer Apple's "smoother" products.

• It's quite ugly, actually. I prefer Apple's “smoother” products.

• Michele says:

Yes, I totally with @chybee. 😉

• Michele says:

Yes, I totally with @chybee. 😉

• hamid says:

every thing can crack these sharp and thick edges

• hamid says:

every thing can crack these sharp and thick edges

• tmkiwipeel says:

It would bother me to have to unplug everything from my laptop when I close the lid…

• tmkiwipeel says:

• Jeff says:

The watch is cool but it is a concept. To view a complete collection of automotive watches visit http://www.equipewatches.com

• Jeff says:

The watch is cool but it is a concept. To view a complete collection of automotive watches visit ” target=”_blank”>http://www.equipewatches.com

• molumen says:

It's a cable guillotine. Nothing good (or new) in this design.

• molumen says:

It's a cable guillotine. Nothing good (or new) in this design.

• I dunno what´s your Problem, I quite like it. And a Laptop is my mobile PC, so I rarely connect stuff to it.
    So, how much do you want for it?

• I dunno whats your Problem, I quite like it. And a Laptop is my mobile PC, so I rarely connect stuff to it.
    So, how much do you want for it?

• Johan says:

Ok, so solve it and improve it:

0. The laptop is charged by induction.

1. Add magnetically released lock bolts that come out when /any/ port is in use.

2. The lock bolts would prevent the lid from chopping off the connected jacks.

3. Add a biometric reader (finger or eye) on the lid. Now, if the user wants, the lock bolts could lock the entire computer shut until opened with the correct finger or eye.

Now you carry a perfectly locked laptop where ever you go. Nice.

• Johan says:

Ok, so solve it and improve it:

0. The laptop is charged by induction.

2. The lock bolts would prevent the lid from chopping off the connected jacks.

Now you carry a perfectly locked laptop where ever you go. Nice.

• joseph says:

Not so good when open but cool when closed (Except you can't charge it !

• joseph says:

Not so good when open but cool when closed (Except you can't charge it !

• Youngmo Byun says:

you could put the charging jack in the back maybe?

• Youngmo Byun says:

you could put the charging jack in the back maybe?

• briggs says:

use something like the powermatt for when its closed and charging.

• briggs says:

use something like the powermatt for when its closed and charging.

• Rona says:

Besides charging issue, first of all, how to open it?

• Rona says:

Besides charging issue, first of all, how to open it?

• Jonathan says:

Wow, stupid idea. Why would you hide the ports?

What if I want to dock my Laptop and wire it to my main monitor?

Design = 0

Let the pros (Apple) do the job.

• Jonathan says:

Wow, stupid idea. Why would you hide the ports?

What if I want to dock my Laptop and wire it to my main monitor?

Design = 0

Let the pros (Apple) do the job.

• Jonathan Lee says:

What happens when I want to use a USB port to charge something, do I really need to open the screen?

• Jonathan Lee says:

• Matt Tastic says:

poopie kaka

• Matt Tastic says:

poopie kaka

• Viv C says:

how would anyone open it to get started??

• Viv C says:

how would anyone open it to get started??

• TKSH says:

And the question is… Why? Please, what is "the reason why" for this design?

• TKSH says:

And the question is… Why? Please, what is “the reason why” for this design?

• Tosh says:

The extra lip 3/4 way around means it is also larger than it needs to be…..

• Charge it via a matt, make the screen slightly smaller than the lid (so there's room for a webcam), if people want an external monitor there's always WiDi.