Super Flat and Retractable Cord

River Cheng a.k.a. Ho-Tzu designed this super-flat retractable extension cord to prevent tangles. The slim structure of the cord is possible thanks to the use of polysiloxane (a silicone polymer). All you need to do is give it a gentle tug, and it’s back to the house. Retractable Tape Cord is a 2010 Red Dot Concept Design Award Winning Project.

Designer: Ho-Tzu Cheng

• Stephen Matejov says:

I'd like to purchase one but I cannot find a link to tell me where they are sold. Also the description does not say how long the extension is in length. Do they come in various lengths? What about different colors to blend in with various surfaces.?
    If this made the red dot awards, you'd figure the length would at least be mentioned.

• Stephen Matejov says:

• Patrikd says:

Seems like some of these designers could do with a dose of physics…

The amount of current a wire can carry is largely determined by the cross section of the wire. The safety of a power cord is largely determined by the thickness of its insulation. A ribbon has an extremely poor ratio of surface area to be covered by insulation versus cross section to carry current. So for the same safety and current carrying capacity, a ribbon cable like this will actually be much more bulky than a simple round wire.

Put it another way: there's no way they can make a ribbon that thin, carrying 110 or 220V, without it being an obvious health and fire hazard. Just imagine if that ribbon got folded up on itself, and someone rolled over it with a desk chair?

Great design. Stupid idea.

• Patrikd says:

Seems like some of these designers could do with a dose of physics…

Great design. Stupid idea.

• daniel says:

While everything you said is true, if it was multistrand flattened to a ribbon (or even solid copper just flat and wide, instead of thin and round) and the surface area remained the same, then it could still handle the load, as for the insulation, there, it is possible that since the load would be split throughout this whole strand it wouldn’t need to be as thick, or a maybe they are using something new, innovations are being made every day. I’m not saying these guys made it, I’m just saying it could be done

• flow says:

im sorry to say that but what i see is an Apple power adapter with additional parts which absolutely wont fit together in color and form. But a nice idea..

• flow says:

• YeJin says:

amazing!! good!

• YeJin says:

amazing!! good!

• sam says:

Where can we get one, when will you make them?

• To be honest. I haven’t seen a good post like this in a year now. And seeing this post now, ahh, it really pleasures me. Thanks a lot for this post.

• Adrian says:

Hi, where can I purchase this? Thank you

• Diane says:

How does one order the retractable tape cord?

• Hello there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site? I

• There are several significant points you need to bear in mind, as you study building a new house. One of them is always to ensure that the job is handled fast and effectively. This implies that you need to hire a professional contractor to handle the endeavor. At times it truly is very vital that you do exhaustive research on the accessible construction firms in your place because some of them don’t meet their assurances. They are simply interested in making a quick buck from naive property developers. Hiring such contractors is risky because they’ll do a shoddy work and leave you completely frustrated.

• * Teeth whitening strips – These are not as expensive
    as whitening gels. With these solutions around, impressing people today with your
    beautiful and dazzling smile is by no means not possible.
    If having a mold in your mouth does not suit you, tooth whitening strips have been used with
    great success.

• hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve definitely
    picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points
    using this website, as I experienced to reload
    the website many times previous to I could get it to load properly.
    I had been wondering if your web host is OK?
    Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your high
    quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well
    I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for much more of your respective interesting content.
    Make sure you update this again soon.

• Excellent website heaps of great steam shower
    knowledge here

• Mr says:

Can some human being please tell me where I can buy this tape cord??? Or contact Cheng’s company directly? Thank you