Heatmats for Sidewalks

Let me tell you before I even begin to describe this design that it’s brilliant. There are such things as heated roads (ones that stay warm enough that a certain amount of snow will never even survive its fall), and there are such things as shovels and snowblowers for sidewalks. Why not heaters for sidewalks instead? Do it! Fantastic!

These mats are called the “Heated Outdoor Walkway Mat” and the “Heated Outdoor Stair Mats” and are part of a larger collection of similar mats made for residential areas in the snowier parts of the world. It’s a made-for-everyone solution to keeping you and your family safe from the dangers of ice and snow buildup on your property, leaving instead a slightly larger energy bill for you on your home – a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Each mat comes with its own patented watertight connector cables that connect together creating a single system of snow melting excellence. Each mat can be used individually as well – up to 15 mats (up to 15 amps) can be connected on a single chain. Yes please!

Designers: HeatTrak

• Tintin says:

Don't think I like the environmental impact of this. (an I am not a greenie!)
    What if the mats used recycled rubber tyres – as thats what they look like, and harness solor energy?
    Would that not make it a more attractive solution?
    Perhaps you could make it more like stepping stones – using less energy to heat.

• Tintin says:

Don't think I like the environmental impact of this. (an I am not a greenie!)
    Would that not make it a more attractive solution?

• moburkhardt says:

This is a crazy waste of energy, buy proper non slip shoes instead. Snow is part of our planet and to spend precious energy heating the outside is just plain stupid

• moburkhardt says:

• I would like this if it were energy-efficient and not harmful to the environment. I agree that using solar energy would be a great way to use these, as well as making them from environmentally-friendly, recycled materials.

A problem I could see with this is that animals would be attracted to it during the Winter and they might become semi-dependent upon it. It wouldn't do them any good to stay out in the open during the Winter…

• Matthew says:

Not everyone lives in an urban environment, myself included. However at our cabin in the High Sierra Nevada Mountains is right in the heart of snow country. It would be nice to have heated walkways as ice can be very slippery for the young and the old. Icy slippery falls can be very dangerous. And its not like we would use it all throughout othe season. I would like to see this application in Alaska and see if the mats can melt tunnels where snow is as high as 8 feet by placing the mat onto of an unshoveled path.

• Matthew says:

• lauren says:

Fantastic idea, it would be great if they could take this concept and make it solar powered.

• lauren says:

• uriel says:

total waste of energy, i do believe you could only use 1/3 of the energy needed to melt snow if you have an automated mechanical device, even a robotic kinda roomba for snow (idea there)
    maybe when electric energy harvesting is well developed and you harvest more than your daily consumption but in that case i would still look for an energy saving alternative. so units and harvesting devices are smaller.

save energy man.

• uriel says:

save energy man.

• Tom says:

I bought a set for my parents. They are fantastic. The energy usage is minimal. If it prevents a injury or broken hip, it is not a waste of energy.

I'm sure most of the people complaining about the energy live in air conditioned homes in California

• Tom says:

• AL says:

I agree with Tom. We are in our late 70’s now .We just go a set and it just melted a nice safe track on our front walk for the last weeks ice storm.

Much safer.