Volume Goes Up And Down! What Fun!

Humor me for a second here, but I swear to you, the concept of the Vol Portable Speakers is too similar to the Diwali Lanterns available here in India! Have a look at this or this! However I don’t mean to take away the novelty in design of what Carson Leong has done here. In fact, I think it’s a great approach of using the natural up-down sliding motion to increase and decrease the volume of the speaker. So much better than just hitting some buttons or turning a dial!

Designer: Carson Leong

• Nice stuff !!! Would definitely buy one if sold on day !
    Great idea to cut sound like that

• Nice stuff !!! Would definitely buy one if sold on day !
    Great idea to cut sound like that

• raquel says:

i love it! I knew a lamp with very similar form but it was made by felt.

• raquel says:

i love it! I knew a lamp with very similar form but it was made by felt.

• Bob says:

It's too bad. It just increase garbage

• Bob says:

It's too bad. It just increase garbage

• Student says:

It's seem like my friend packaging project for candle !!!!!!
    Why its very look alike!!!!
    And the project was past quite a long time before this thing happen?!!!
    How could it be????!!!

• Student says:

It's seem like my friend packaging project for candle !!!!!!
    Why its very look alike!!!!
    And the project was past quite a long time before this thing happen?!!!
    How could it be????!!!

• Björn says:

Wouldnt this make the ipod use unnecessary amount of power when setting the speaker for a low volume?

• Björn says:

• Gaetan Kerck says:

Doesn't matter if it looks like something we've already seen.
    Functionality of the material and shape is the key, it always is.

Love it ! Would like to see it ! Prototype it !!! 😉

• Gaetan Kerck says:

Doesn't matter if it looks like something we've already seen.
    Functionality of the material and shape is the key, it always is.

Love it ! Would like to see it ! Prototype it !!! 😉

• Thanks for all your comments.

This project was about creating a more tactile and visual experience for the user (make the invisible (change in volume) visible).

The design is very similar to a lantern, because it is inspired by the opening and closing element of the shape. I was more intrigued with the material itself and how it acts as a control for power (as Martin understood-how it 'cut sound'). The skin of the speaker not only functions as the volume control but also acts as protection against shock and scratches.

Therefore, I do not think its fair to say this project has any link with a lighting or packaging project. The idea and story behind it are completely different. But I do appreciate all the comments.

For more information about the design, feel free to check out my website. Thanks!

• Thanks for all your comments.

• Greg says:

Hello, I've seen this before, designed by arnaud lapierre, 2009, for altec landing…

• Greg says:

• MJ home says:

I’d like to thank yyou for tthe efforts you’ve put in writing this blog.
    I am hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts by you later on ass well.
    In truth, your creative wriiting abilities hhas encouraged
    me to get my own ssite now 😉