The USB Lineup – Again!

A stark reminder of the Infinite USB Connector, the Tandem USB is different because of two reasons. One, it’s got a form that is more accommodating for the follow-up wire than Jiang’s version and two; it compares the lineup to male-female “coupling”! We get the naughty point, but in all honesty, going by the discussion in the earlier post, issues like unplugging a device in the middle of the ports and power current are still not resolved. However, bending wires over for a snug fit, is taken care of.

The Tandem USB Connector has won an iF Concept Design Award 2010

Designers: Yi Fan Lin & Hong Yih Chu

• ALDO says:

best concept ever!

• sora says:

industry needs to think about it.But did the “originator” of the idea (to my knowledge)Gonglue Jiang (the person who designed the one mentioned in the article)get any credit for bringing the concept ? Did he get an IF design concept award too ?Just wondering.

• sora says:

• Chris says:

Looks good in a student rendering but in reality it would be roughly three times the size shown, as the designer has left no room for the back side of either connector within the overmold, not to mention the wiring. If it were possible to execute this elegantly the industry would have done it already.

• simon says:

Very nice idea !

• sora says:

Thx radhikaYD, but link says "Produkt-ID fehlt / Missing entry-ID" , but I believe you ^^ !

• sora says:

Thx radhikaYD, but link says “Produkt-ID fehlt / Missing entry-ID” , but I believe you ^^ !

• I liked the execution here, but I have seen the core idea several months ago at OMC’s website http://www.omcdesign.com/?design=1003&type=Data+Stick

• I really liked the idea and I also wanted to remind the one that I had seen several months ago by OMC ( here is the link: http://www.omcdesign.com/?design=1003&type=Da… ) and also I had seen the one with Zhao and Jiang at IF (here : http://www.ifdesign.de/beitragsdetails_e.html?off… )

• Tim says:

I'm of like mind to Chris, but I disagree with him. The connectors/wires aren't themselves a problem; the real issue is that you can't simply splice into USB to get another port. As a computer engineer, believe me that it's much more complicated than that.

Functionally, there would need to to a two-port hub circuit for each plug… either in the plug or in the plug's device (cord wagging the mouse). The latter would allow for a smaller plug, but the cord would have to be two-in-one.

• Cloud Levi says:

Yes, but there's one problem. POWER. USB hubs have to have power of their own because one USB port can only support a couple devices at a time. For example, I have a Logitech G15 that plugs into a USB port and nothing but. It has an LCD display and backlight. I attempted to plug my webcam into it and the computer told me there was not enough power. Whether or not my mouse was plugged in at the time I cannot remember, but the point is still valid. Each device needs a separate power source for that to work.

• Cloud Levi says:

…I really should've finished reading that thing at the top. Anyway, I was replying to the posts, not the concept. In response to all of it, there's really a simple solution: Batteries.

• Tiger Lilly says:

It's not a good idea, it's simply not practical! USB does not work like AC. It requires a hub. Worst idea ever.

It's more than just power, it's a whole chip you need. You can make really neat cars if you forget the fact that they need an engine.

• Practically, USB connectors are every day life in my office, with a USB adapter even for my memory card to extract photos from my camera to laptop. I think, no matter what everyone else says here, that this is great! Thanks

• Quality, this shows just how many uses there are for USB these days – it's off the charts

• ooo says:

this idea would really solve many problems but it's just an illusion and a very good one , nonetheless

• ooo says:

• rnd1 says:

Wouldn't that take away from the individual USB device's connection speed to the device?

And if two devices are connected to the same device, how will the latter know which device will recieve which signal and which device sent which?

• rnd1 says:

• Ellen says:

Frank, I hope you took note that, unlike this and Jiang’s design, the “snake” has no mechanism to actually attach a device. As such, it is simply a high-tech looking wiggly toy.

• these really are great products, I love them

• Omar says:

Why is this not built yet? Let’s get a kickstarter campaign going or something. This may not be able to power everything, but it could at least let me charge my iPhone without blocking a port.