Air Cones For Road Safety

Road Cones can be a pain sometimes, for the driver a safety hazard and for the guy who has to place them on the road, a back breaking job. Not many must have thought of redesigning this thang, but innovation is really called for. Interim let’s look at the Air Cone Concept; it’s this flattened balloon strip that you lay on the road. Inflating it causes Air Cones to pop up, but care has been taken to ensure a sturdy design. Only hope that crazy kids with pins in hand don’t go popping it just for fun.

Designers: Hoyoung Lee, Youngwoo Park & Junkyo Lee

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

Air Cone – Road Cones by Hoyoung Lee, Youngwoo Park & Junkyo Lee

aircone3

aircone4

aircone5

aircone6

• brack says:

does this allow for creating angles in direction? if its like my tape measure, creating those angles can be difficult. this idea, though, has potential.

• Confucius says:

“Too Many Corns” about sums it up.

• Lucas Degen says:

Great idea but the old coins were made that way to stop te car. If it are baloons like these. A car would just run over it.

• YesOkayAwesome says:

Since when has cone and corn been interchangeable words? (1) The concept is a concept is a concept and is not a design. (2) And it’s not even a great concept (3)

I miss the old days when Mac Funamizu and the likes were the ones featured.

• Fer says:

I love how u guys never recognize a nice idea, I guess u r Starck, Lovegrove etc. u should be design gods…

P.S. Nice idea btw

• Hunter says:

I’m sorry but is that a GIANT METAL FAN in the middle of the freeway?

• karl says:

the real problem is air doesn;t make noise, and don;t bring back mac

• DM says:

Beautiful idea. I love it. I wonder, however, what happens to the cone when a car runs over it incidentally or on purpose. Does the cone burst, or is deflated (then re-inflated). How vandalism resistant is it? There will be plenty of kids, who’d have no bigger pleasure but to make wholes in each of the cones. As a concept, so far, I still like it. Well done!

• reality says:

the car runs over it, birsts it and the track gets wrapped over the wheele. the car crashes and it takes hours to remove the 2 miles of mangled up track from the wheels. cones work much better than this.

• Vickia says:

Great design! Could you send my some more details about the product? And tell me the price and where i can buy it? Thanks very much.

• rdee says:

its a great idea, but still need more research.
    – How do you fix it on the asphalt, what if there is strong wind.road cones can be used in dirt or on road.
    – That roller thing is a hazard on the road.
    – Road cones are easy to replace,cheaper to produce,reusable,no maintainance. etc.
    – When it comes to placing the road cones,I think it is common sense to anyone on when and how to place it.

• Matt says:

I am more interested in those items flashing under water and under the barrels at the bottom of the page. Do you have more information on them.

• I nearly fell asleep behind the wheel the other day but i had my anti sleep alarm on and it sounded so i pulled over and had a break. They are not that expensive and i got mine from NO NAP

• caron says:

• caron says:

• Simeon says:

I’m still unclear on how these cones are inflated. By mouth? Help!

• Simeon says:

I’m still unclear on how these cones are inflated. By mouth? Help! And if its windy enough would the cones tip over in a group, the whole or part of the strip laying on its side?