Steampunk PC, Oh So Retro!

Did you notice the sudden retro wave that’s hit most ID designers? It’s like they’ve gone nostalgic and strung an emotional cord with gadgets from the past. The Philco PC here is a prime example of such inspirations, totally reminiscent of the 1954 design classic Philco Predicta! Indulge in it for the aesthetic value, as for the specs…yea it does host Windows 7. But then again we’re here for the love of design, specs can take a hike for the moment!

Designer: SchultzeWORKS designstudio

Philco PC from Dave Schultze on Vimeo.

Philco PC Retro Re-design by SchultzeWORKS designstudio

Philco_PC2

Philco_PC3

Philco_PC4

• -F. says:

I really like it, but how is this steampunk?

• dustin says:

awesome, can’t get enough of this retro vibe

• Elepski says:

This is a very interesting design… but is in NO WAY Steampunk. This if any genre would be “DieselPunk” with it’s very late 40’s to 50’s look and materials.

So I agree with George here….

“You keep using that word…. I don’t think it mean what you think it means.”

• schultzeworks says:

Good points. I designed it to be original, so it is by choice not 100% of any particular style. It was, however, inspired by steampunk and mid-century modern. Most importantly, PhilcoPC was designed as a reaction to the vast majority of PC designs. After Apple and maybe one or two Dell models, the rest of the PC designs are pure engineered ugliness.

• whacko says:

This is a great PC Design, but steampunk it is not.

This was inspired by a television briefly popular in the mid 1950’s. The term Steampunk refers to technology that looks like it was derived from the “Steam Age” which would be more around the 1850’s.

Still a good design, and if you could get Dell or some company to use this chassis and peripherals in one of their desktops (or you sold the Chassis & monitor as a ‘barebones’ PC kit) I would buy it.

• Andrew says:

That makes me weak at the knees, its so beautiful.

• TJ says:

I think its a very cool design, I’m not a retro fan either, but this was done well. I still don’t think I would ever buy it. Mostly cuz Im a mac person. But I LOVE the keyboard. If that were sold separately I would buy NOW.

• TJ says:

btw, I think the keyboard should be much thinner. It could still hold its retro vibe while being more sleek and practical. Especially if it were to be sold as it’s own unit…

• schultzeworks says:

The keys are intended to use mechanical switches, so the ability to minimize the depth was somewhat limited. Also, early design studies had a much thinner keyboard, but it didn’t seem to fit the overall aesthetic as well.

• IAmThatStrange says:

Very interesting, but not steampunk at all.

• martin says:

Actually, it’s Atompunk…

• Victor Tramp says:

it’d be cuter with ubuntu on it.

• Seamus Dubh says:

Nice concept and all.
    But in no way is this ‘Steam Punk’
    Get your clichéd genres right.
    This is Atom Punk, Retro Futuristic at best.

• karl says:

it’s cool, but how are my apps gonna go in that shaped screen?

• stephen russell says:

Love it a Nice Retro Hi Tech PC.
    Great for Movie & TV sets.
    Home use
    To Rent.
    Love the Theme.
    Radical.
    Blend 50s tech to Today.

Produce this Acer.

If I had 50s home theme, Id trade in my PC for this one.

Nice for a Museum alone.

• L. Reese says:

I like the look, but have to back up the fact that this is in no way “Steam Punk.”

The whole steampunk think is OVER anyway. The term is about as useful as “emo” or “post-“.

Cannot things be talked about without endless references to pop culture terminology?

• heyki says:

wow!beautiful !

• Now if we just hook up a tiny steam engine to turn a generator…..

• Mike says:

Tie me down and stick cocktail umbrellas under my fingernails, but that is not a very good steampunk retro look. It’s too orange. I like the keys, but it simply lacks that classic style.

• is this for real or just CG?
    very beautiful design would be nice to see this for real .we build Predicta TV’s I had a design for a computer but so far everyone has ordered it as a Tv set.see predicta.com and look at the Chalet I designed.
    cheers
    Mr.Predicta

• litmostki says:

not a STEAM punk, but TUBE punk

• nongpla says:

WoooWWWW!!!! amazingly design..like every details on it… good job..:)

• plajingko says:

want to give the design team 10 out of 10… incredible looking…:)

• LeRoy says:

Okay, so it’s not Steam-punk. But Swank it IS, and the envy of any well connected Lounge Lizard…

Very cool design, and wanted by the hippest of us Beat-sters.

• kat says:

the mouse looks like a toaster lol ^^ but its a really awsome computer….

• sean says:

If anything, I would call it, "Googie-punk"

• sean says:

If anything, I would call it, “Googie-punk”

• gABRIEL says:

ANY IDEA IF IT'S ON SALE? OR WHEN WILL IT BE ON SALE?THE COST AND ALL THAT STUFF?

• I'm not a retro fan either, but this was done well. I still don't think I would ever buy it. Mostly cuz Im a mac person. But I LOVE the keyboard. If that were sold separately I would buy NOW.

• Art says:

Not Steampunk at all. Aluminum and/or stainless steel were never used in any Victorian designs. If anything, the keyboard and mouse more closely resemble Dieselpunk and the monitor is pure retro. Regardless, these are still very cool and I would love to get my hands on the keyboard and mouse especially!! Too bad they’re just CG renderings.

• HDismuke says:

You guys and your steampunk and dieselpunk theories. Study the period of the Machine Age and Art Deco and you’ll know where all of this comes from. It’s just a design F.

• Dave says:

Thanks for the feedback. I like hearing opinions on other people’s opinions. It as fun as it is self-referential.

• Alexey says:

Realy nice except windows OS)) I would like to buy one.

• Arlen says:

How do i purchase it?

• ARLEN says:

I would like to purchase. How do I go about purchasing the keyboard?

• mary says:

so cute – and like everyone else, how, where, when, and how much to purchase? can i buy the keyboard separately? also, how practical is the keyboard vs. today’s keyboards? .. meaning – do i actually have to depress the buttons like on an old timey, non-electric typewriter? do i actually have to lift my fingers up vs. like on a modern keyboard how your fingers can sort of ‘glide’ w/o too much of ever losing contact from one key to another? typing speed seems like it might be a concern. I wish they would’ve posted video of someone actually using it.