Sort and Separate

Lets face it. We all should be recycling. What used to be simple; “metal goes here, paper goes there, and plastic goes in over there,” is now a bit more complicated. For example did you know not all plastics and metals can be recycled? If you look for the recycling symbol on most packaging, it’s often filled with a number value. They denote what can and can’t be recycled. That’s where the Barcode Trashcan comes in. It makes being “green” a lot easier.

There’s one bin for each type of recyclable material. Just swipe the item in question over the top and the bin that opens is your winner. Easy breezy covergirl for real!

Designer: Woo Seok Park

• atomicforce says:

Amazing. I have just realized that shape of trashcan can make us (me) more tend to store various type of trash in proper place. This design is nice and I am sure I wat it.
    Doed anybody now were to buy it?

Cheers

• That is simply beautiful design, and a very intelligent way to try to tackle sorting recyclables collected in public spaces. I could see an even larger improvement on this system with the introduction of RFID (requires products to be chipped obviously, but that seems to be coming).

• Ideaman2020 says:

There are just so many problems with this idea, I don’t know where to start.

I mean, kudos for trying to make recycling easier [so more people do it –> better for planet], but…

Lots of recyclable things don’t have barcodes. Newspapers do, but those “adpapers” that come in the mail don’t. Suppose the labels come off of my plastic containers, how would I scan them? I can recycle envelopes from the mail, but they aren’t barcoded.

Which brings up the next issue. Different places have different rules about what can and can’t be recycled. How is that going to be controlled? Will there be localized firmware updates? Do I program it myself?

All this seems like so much more work than just, you know, looking at the item and comparing it to the list in my head of “things I can recycle”.

• chickenface says:

I’m sure you can just pull the bottom drawer open if the item in question doesn’t have a barcode. If the designer could figure out the technology to make a scanner work, they probably know how to work a drawer.

• Ry_Ry says:

German grocery stores have a similar concept. You put your item in the slot (lol) and the machine determines its value. It then prints out a receipt which you can use to take that amount off your shopping total.

I know, not the same…but maybe if we started offering rebates for recycling, more people would be motivated to do it.

• Admnaismith says:

LA city makes it easy by sorting everything for you. All you really have to do is separate food & greens waste from cardboard & plastic.

• ichig0nilla says:

Hi,

I am an ID student… and currently studying eco design class…

when i first saw the idea… i was surprised because I was thinking of doing the same type of project for my class…

i agree that the design of the object itself is very beautiful and futuristic… though I cant really get the idea of scale… is this object going to be used at home? or in store?

if this is gonna be used in store… i think it’s a pretty good idea… because it requires less human labor… employee generally dont wanna sort thru junks anyways…. and the symbol are pretty obvious which bins are for what… barcode system may not be necessary… as communication can be made through imagery…

still i dont think this’s going to help the recycling system much since we already seperate garbage that way but the problem is more with plastic… what kinda of plastic can be recycle and what kind cant? some plastics can be recycled but each family of plastic needs different kind of treatment……. plastic’s very big problem… in my opinion~~

if this’s gonna be used at home… i think it’s too big and bulky for home used… especially for small living spaces that we’re living in today… some more tweek may make it work?!?!

• Camille says:

Hi, I’m a business student, if you’ve been working on a similar project, do you have any idea of how much could be the costs of production of this product? Do you know if this product is already commercialized? If yes, where?

Thanks a lot

• MARINE says:

Hi
    Im really interested in this product, where could I find it?
    I would like to know the price of it and the size
    Who’s the target of this trashcan? Is it for personal use or for public areas?
    Thanks

• xXblahXx says:

if u already know it’s a piece of paper or something, do u still have to swipe it over the top or can u just shove the piece of paper in the door?

• doskini says:

Hello. I am been interested in obtaining major information of the product carcteristicas, size, price, capacity of every warehouse(deposit), and as(like) in acquiring it if it is commercialized in spain thank you very much.

• transylvania says:

what i find difficult about this, is that how do you open thos tanks? with your hand? you must move the whole tank, whether it is full or not? and IF the designer used electricity even for this movement, that won’t be a cheap solution, nor ecologic.

• leonel says:

A trash can for recycle that use electricity? Isn’t ecologic at all! Design error

• Kathrin says:

I think that is one of the so much vital info for me.

And i’m happy studying your article. However should observation on few common issues, The
    website taste is wonderful, the articles
    is in point of fact nice : D. Just right activity,