The Doorknob Signal

We’ve seen it before, the universal sign of “I have company, go away” signal. Often taking form as a tie around a doorknob or the potted plant flipped over. There’s got to be a more high-tech way. The Doorknob Condition uses an innovated pulley system that makes the knob on the exterior recess inwards when pulled from the inside. Without a knob to use, there’s no way to get it. Sure it could be great for security but who are we kidding? We know exactly how a doorknob like this would be used. Too bad it doesn’t have a little timer to indicate when to come back.

Designer: Arnaud Lapierre

Don’t forget to check out the Jibbon, a customizable key-organizer that hold all your keys and other EDC.

• The Ceres Cafe says:

I love, love, love the idea and want to purchase some of these doorknobs! Where can I find them and how soon?

• Drew says:

This doorknob is not ADA compliant, so it could never be used in a hotel, motel or other commercial application. Additionally, the fire department would take exception to a device like this being used in buildings they are required to protect. What an unbelievably short-sighted design.

• zj says:

COOL! nice doornob.
    I wonder where i can get it. XD

• aquastealth says:

What if someone accidently pushes in the doorknob from the
    wrong side then you will never be able to open the door again!

• sarah says:

i think thats so cool. i would so buy one.

• wwwo says:

brilliant and original!

• dalia says:

Dear friends and partners:
    Good day to you!
    Professional Group Company for Import and Export and Commercial Agencies on economic growth and expansion in employment through cooperation and trade with the best qualified companies selected by the company we like to request you to a joint cooperation
    So
    We urge you to Acceptance of joint cooperation between our company and your company esteemed please send us a price list of the product indicated quantities and methods of payment and the duration allowed, and all data on your company’s and products.
    If you need more details about us please check our website:
    Hope we can make great business soon.
    Appreciating your early reply

• Kolin says:

I’m prety sure the same effect can be achived by using a lock…

• E-Jay says:

I. sure I have seen this concept before on http://www.burojet.com

Hit: work – architectural – doorknob

• desire says:

I would like to purchase some,where do i,is there a site?

• desire says:

I would like to purchase some,where do i,is there a site?

• gene says:

that is one COOL doorknob… where can i get one?? is there any site??

• Heather says:

The same idea of the fire dept. and emergency services not liking the design, can be sad about the key system in place now in hotels. With minor adjustments, it could actually be made to be hotel compliant. OR used with the current system (In stead of the annoying Do not disturb signs that fall off).
    I work at a hotel. I’d rather see a doorknob pulled in like this, and know not to go in, then find a sign kicked halfway down a hallway cause it fell off, and walk in on someone later.

• NotSmall says:

I would like one Because the government does’t like them.

• Mae says:

Is there any keycard or some kind ??? What if the door accidentally closed? Would you be able to get in?

• Kara says:

I could be incorrect of course, but judging by the hole near the base, there is a key unlock of some sort?

• kelly says:

It’s an remarkable paragraph designed for all the online people; they will take benefit from it I am
    sure.

• Susan says:

I want one.

• Aaron says:

Are you a firefighter? They are trained to open doors that have locked deadbolts. I know this because both my parents were firefighters for a number of years. They also have specialized tools for the express purpose. I’d be more worried about how you would replace the broken door than about the firefighters protecting you.

Perhaps you are merely looking to complain about things that are clearly awesome? Maybe you’re complaining because you prefer the ‘good old fashioned doorknobs’. Relax… they aren’t going anywhere for at least 30 years due to people like you. On the other hand, yes, compliance with regulations is very important for widespread adoption.