Bathtub Convenience

The Elevated Bathtub is a very thoughtful bathing experience for those who suffer from limited mobility. I have a parent who has both their knees replaced and suffers from sever arthritis, so getting in or out of a bathtub is kinda risky. This unique bathtub allows the user to step into the bath area on a flat base without any hindrance. Split into two main parts, the tub enclosure can be lifted; and the flat base with a showerhead pillar doubles up as a lifting rail for the tub enclosure.

Elevated Bathtub is a 2012 red dot award: design concept winner.

Designers: Zhang Jiangpeng & Zou Tao

• Matthew says:

At first glance, I was skeptical and not thinking productive things about this idea. After a bit more reading and looking I feel it is safe to say that this idea is great!
      One thought…An analog version (lower cost and easier manual controls) would be great for many assisted living centers and communities. Many older generations don’t care much for fancy digital stuff and will prefer the old styled knobs and levers they are used to.

All in all..nicely done!

• Jeremiah says:

I was in the same frame of mind clicking this link, but this idea definitely has wheels (not actually, but you know what I mean), and has a lot of potential to become something ideal. I would personally love a bathing area like this in my own home; mind you, probably in a different design and with a few personal adjustments.

My only real concern is the regular shower mode, as there doesn’t seem to be a way to stop the water from getting the surrounding area wet.

• KG says:

Great idea. Although 1 problem I see: if the user has difficulty getting in and out of a bath-tub, wouldn’t they also have difficulty lowering themselves into this bath-tub and getting back up? Also, the walls of this tub is straight. This would be very uncomfortable. It’d feel like you’re bathing in a water tank of some sort.

• Reli says:

You can just out a door there, dont need to lift

• Alex says:

Interesting concept, but completely forget the fact that those who can’t step over the wall of the bath also can’t easily sit on the floor and get up again… need to take the concept a few step farther.

also not a lot of homes have 10′ ceilings in the bathroom…

• Nag says:

I must say, it’s a great concept. helpful for people with disability. Hats off.

• lin says:

Great concept … however need’s a lot more thought for poeple with mobility problem’s not just the elderly, and comfort that’s the whole reason for relaxing in hot ease your weary body.

• dohyung says:

how can i get that?
      i need it

• Salad says:

User steps into area, tub sinks down, user waits naked until water reaches bathe-able levels?
      Personally I’d prefer a system that lets me sit comfortably on a device and then transports me still sitting on it into my fully filled, well tempered bath.
      Would also eliminate the problem of sealing the tub against the ground.