Touchpad in Your Hand

A simple dream, a simple reality. This is the “Gesture” remote control. It’s sort of a ring shape, made to fit in your hand, made to be intuitive to your touch. Using GestIC by IDENT Technology AG, Gesture is one giant trackpad with clicker embedded in. Made for your television, but think of the video game applications! What a magnificent tool this is going to be for those who get creative.

Functionality and special abilities are built in to the television itself, such as the ability to search for and play content without a keypad. Activated with a simple circular unlocking, the menu pops up and you’re allowed to do everything fabulous with the ease and simplicity of a computer screen coupled with a trackpad.

Watch the video below for more info, and keep your eyes and hands from exploding with excitement if at all possible. The technology for this remote is done by IDENT Technology AG and the interactive elements like the menus and the buttons and such are done by ZINOSIGN®.

Design: LUNAR Europe

• flinch says:

i really like the idea!

• flinch says:

i really like the idea!

• dan says:

This is stupid. Don't the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and seriously pretty much any other touch screen device with apps already have this capability?! Just install an app on it and you have the exact same functionality with one device and not two! This is truly terrible terrible design.

How is this simple? Go out and buy a separate device that is only good for one thing, install proprietary software on a television (if your television CAN!!!!), hope it works and doesn't get lost? Seriously, you lose an iDevice or other touch screen and you can find it pretty easily by calling it or what not.

This is terrible design. Just what we need, another non-universal remote! I mean, c'mon!! The 10-foot interface is an exact rip off of Apple Front Row or Apple TV!!! This is just a classic example of design solving problems that design has created to profit from.

How do you enter text with this thing? Select one character at a time from a list hahahahaha omg sooooo stupid.

Did anyone really think this product through? I bet if this thing reaches market it will cost more than $200. What is to stop anyone from buying some iDevice than? Especially, when the iDevices look better and, you know, actually do stuff. hahahahahahaha this is soooooooo stupid.

Thank goodness for design that solves no problems and creates at least a handful. I'd have to be paid to be subjugated to the use of this device. Seriously, I would not use this device even if it was free!!! Give me some money and I still wouldn't use it but I'd say I would just for the money.

• dan says:

• Richard says:

I think it's an idea to do further experiments with because it furthers a better supination angle of the hand, the bad supination angle forced by the 'normal' mouse being one of the major RSI hazards.
    Look for more info @ http://www.handshoemouse.com/nl/onderzoek.html and resource of Erasmus univ. Rotterdam.
    I personally would prefer an interaction of 2 opposite pads : one for thumb and one for index finger, like the trackballs in urly stage, together with some shielding of your wrist

• Richard says:

• @CloudLevi says:

Too bad I hate trackpads.

• @CloudLevi says:

Too bad I hate trackpads.