Asp-Adder Take A Hike, Slythrin Is Here

For some reason I have a very soft corner for designer Mac Funamizu. I know sometimes his designs can get outlandish, but like I always say, you need to dream BIG to achieve something in life. His latest concept is a portable projector device that wraps around your hand like a bracelet. This modern bridge between the physical and digital world comes with a camera, a projector and WiFi. Interestingly he compares & names it after the beautiful white snake, SnowCorn.

The transparent part that you see on the bracelet is actually a touchscreen that displays basic functions like time, date etc. For the projector part Mac describes it like this, “To activate the projection, you control the UI on the screen: just tap it and it gives you some options such as scan image/text or cancel. More advanced options are all projected on the wall or table. You can have a more complicated UI there, with buttons and a keyboard.”

Besides being customizable in the fields of color and style, you can even scan a business card and update your address book via WiFi.
Look up translations or train maps, there’s a lot you can do with the SnowCorn, my only request…don’t fry any please!

Designer: Mac Funamizu

• VoReason says:

Wow, this is such a nice interface. It seems really innovative and new. I don’t complement designers often, but this actually seems doable in 4-6 years and darn if I don’t think it’s awesome.

None of the software seems impossible, camera orientation software is developing quite quickly, and the only problem seems to be miniaturization. I know everything doesn’t follow Moor’s Law but it’s not unreasonable to see this.

I can’t see anything weaknesses, and I am pretty pessimistic when it comes to things like this.

Great job Mac Funamizu! Keep up the good work.

• Eric says:

I agree to an extent. I think this will be doable in the future, just not sure how long… The interface and projection I could see, just not that brightness. I know things are developing fast in the projection field, but I don’t think brightness is developing to that size just as fast…
    Don’t get me wrong I really want this! I just hope it would look and operate like the images… And one last thing: the last image shows an angled projection on the transpo map, yet its perspective matches the straight on view of the user. The motion/perspective tracking is designed into the software somehow hopefully? Because hand movement might make me catch the wrong train! Wondering how the tracking data is received that’s all. Just something else to take up space on a thin bracelet… I’m thinking more than 6 years…

• Luke says:

Does Funamizu do any real design work at all, or does he just sit around conjuring up impractical and unlikely ideas that don’t even make sense in the long term?

The MIT Media Lab project Funamizu ripped off is an interesting concept, but a projected UI mounted on a person is very impractical with today’s technology, and Pattie Maes did not do a good job selling the idea at the TED talk she gave, in my opinion. For example, she cited pulling up the impracticality of finding information about a person with a cellphone while meeting them for the first time before she segued into projected interfaces. Lo and behold, she later showed the device project some guy’s info onto his shirt.

She also noted that such a system would be fairly inexpensive in the near future as they cobbled their prototype together for $300-something. She ignored that: first, their design is relatively bulky, and would need considerable miniaturization before being mass marketable; second, it lags to the point of being barely usable and would need considerably more powerful hardware; third, stabilizing the interface on an object isn’t the most straightforward task, especially if both the projector and surface are in fidgety, hard-to-predict motion; fourth, wearing something to color your fingertips is tacky and rather intrusive, and allowing the system to resolve finger gestures without colored nubs would require (again) considerably more powerful hardware. While I don’t doubt that it could be done and that someday, it could be cheap, that’s a pretty damn good way away. She gave a possible time frame of 10 years. I think that it would be at least 20, much like multitouch UIs.

That’s not even going into such issues as privacy for the user, obtrusiveness for those around the user, UI consistency, on top of more typical concerns like battery life, durability, and whatnot. (On a side note, I suppose that’s to be expected, since this is from the MIT Media Lab, a smorgasbord of clever, interesting, and genuinely appealing concepts that – in and of themselves – lack arms, legs, and foresight. OLPC’s myriad troubles ought to ring a bell.)

Does Funamizu address any of that at all? No, he designed a glorified bracelet, played around with presenting it, and called it a concept. And of course, in typical Funamizu fashion, he had to add a piece of today’s technology that would be woefully obsolete by the time his design would even approach feasible – in this case, it’s WiFi.

• one simple obvious point, how long can or do you want to hold your hand in one position? Think it through or “model” it by doing a thought experiment. You move your left hand, the projection slithers away, or if it takes 60/90/700 seconds for you to complete the task, might make for some nasty cramps. What if your impaired (whatever your chemical of choice is) or just damn cold?

• pepinthewicked says:

Did anyone see the SixthSense wearable computer by Pattie Maes & Pranav Mistry? It exists and works remarkably well for a prototype. This seems to be inspired by that quite a bit. Check out the TED video: http://www.ted.com/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html

• manuel ruiz says:

looks like someones has been playing a lot of dead space… what comes next the rig personal information concept?

• Eric says: