USB Drive Has Another Electrifying Side

So you have a USB drive that you use quite often, so often that you keep it hooked to your computer most of the time. What added value can we give to that USB stick drive? How about doubling as a AA battery! Yes, the kind that recharges in USB mode and turns into a functional AA when the need arises; rightly calling it the AA USB.

Designer: Wonchul Hwang

• Please be aware that Moixa Energy hold international granted patents on USB rechargeable batteries (see http://www.usbcell.com/ip) which includes the award winning USBCELL AA battery which won an iF Gold Design Award in 2008 (www.usbcell.com/awards) as well as IPR over over batteries containing USB connectors, recharge mechanisms and data. The above product concept would likely be in conflict to this and likely could not be manufactured without approval or license from moixa energy (contact [email protected]) . Please see usbcell.com/ip, e.g. US7375494, China 101065717 , US11/753381

• Donovan says:

Moxia USBCELL, I've had one of these batteries from when they were given out at a convention a few years ago, and what I want to know is, when will there be sizes besides AA?

• Please be aware that Moixa Energy hold international granted patents on USB rechargeable batteries (see ” target=”_blank”>http://www.usbcell.com/ip) which includes the award winning USBCELL AA battery which won an iF Gold Design Award in 2008 (www.usbcell.com/awards)” target=”_blank”> ” target=”_blank”>(www.usbcell.com/awards) as well as IPR over over batteries containing USB connectors, recharge mechanisms and data. The above product concept would likely be in conflict to this and likely could not be manufactured without approval or license from moixa energy (contact [email protected]) . Please see usbcell.com/ip, e.g. US7375494, China 101065717 , US11/753381

• Donovan says:

• Please also see the iF Gold Product Design award for Moixa Energy – USBCELL – http://www.ifdesign.de/beitragsdetails_e.html?off

• Wonchul Hwang says:

The function of this concept is memory stick.
    I intended that we benefited from routine bevaviors like using USB.
    We usually put USB in the computer to manage data without another expectation,
    I imagined the USB secretly gathered electricity, and gave it to us in emergent condition.
    I just selected AA battery for the additional benefit.

I agree that my concept is liable to lead to misunderstaning about copy.
    I've already known USBCELL before making AA USB.
    I plan to make 2nd version of USB, that will have another benefit not like electricity.

Thank you for your information (USECELL)

• Wonchul Hwang says:

The function of this concept is memory stick.
    I intended that we benefited from routine bevaviors like using USB.
    We usually put USB in the computer to manage data without another expectation,
    I just selected AA battery for the additional benefit.

I agree that my concept is liable to lead to misunderstaning about copy.
    I've already known USBCELL before making AA USB.

Thank you for your information (USECELL)

• not actually this but same idea i saw once http://tinyurl.com/647x2rz its macally flash and battery for iphone

• James says:

USB batteries are already in existence. At least the idea is; the last time I saw it they had a flip down top revealing the USB part. Nice idea but already done. Whenever I do product design, I tend to look around and make sure nothing like it has already been done before. Kind of wastes my time and I end up looking a douche bag even if I didn't realise the idea had already been done.

• James says:

• Jon says:

AA batteries typically are alkaline, using a Li-Ion may not be the best idea since the use cases for Li-Ion are different from those of alkaline batteries. May be something to consider…

• Jon says:

• As long as the battery didn't take too long to charge, I could see this being useful. Neat idea.

• You can also see the USBCELL singing crazy bunny choir at – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVZpUwISuk0 , celebrating the new year, and benefit of recharging at home/office without popping out to the shops

• Maurice says:

I have 2 ideas to add to this discussion:

1) Patent law needs serious reform to keep up with the pace of innovation. Our patent system is so bizarre that people can patent genes they didn’t invent, but rather discovered, and (according to the corporate poster above) you can patent vague, broad ideas like USB-charging batteries. Not broad concepts like the GUI or the computer mouse, but apparently those are somehow different? Maybe because the companies copying those ideas from each other were all the same size, and there wasn’t the possibility for this type of bullying and posturing.

2) The problem with this design (and why I’ve never before heard of this big, important Moixa) is that I have never in my life seen a single product that needed just one AA battery. And bad things happen when you mix and match batteries with different levels of charge. So basically, unless you and 3 other coworkers with these flash drives converge on one device that you all need to work, there’s not much use for this.

• Louiee says:

but with the technology advancing at an incredible rate AA batteries will probably be 'out of date' with the lithium ion batteries in cameras and other technologies rising and becoming better

• Louiee says:

• CritiqueAL says:

Absolutely love the concept! Whoever came up with this…Good job!

• CritiqueAL says:

Absolutely love the concept! Whoever came up with this…Good job!

• marmoter says:

Thanks for sharing. It is impressive. By the way, we are an online shop wholesale china electronics such as mobile phones, tablet PC, mp3 player and so on. You are welcome to visit our shop for any shopping purpose. Have a nice day.

• marmoter says:

• Steve says:

I hardly comment, but after browsing a few of the comments
    here AA USB – AA Battery and USB Combination by Wonchul Hwang Yanko Design.
    I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you
    tend not to mind. Could it be just me or does it look like some of the remarks
    appear like they are left by brain dead visitors? :
    -P And, if you are posting at additional sites, I would like to follow everything fresh you have
    to post. Could you make a list of all of your social community pages like your
    twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

• Jonathan Lee says:

Where and when are you guys going to sell the usb battery?!