The Universal Phone Has Sighted People Jealous

The Universal Phone is designed for both blind and sighted people. How? Thousands of micro pins dynamically raise and lower forming a tactile surface for all to get touchy with. Sighted people get the elusive tactile feedback they’re missing with ordinary touch-screens and blind people get a whole new interface made of braille. The idea was inspired by the little raised dot on the number 5 on almost all mobile keypads. Hey if it works, why not extrapolate the idea into a whole new interface?

Designer: Seunghan Song

The Universal Phone For The Blind And Sighted by Seunghan Song

universal_phone2

universal_phone3

• Sean Park says:

When did you create this work? Is this concept winner of any international awards?

• ranjix says:

I seem to remember some bubbles-tactile-screen before, similar idea… Anyway, all these concepts really convince me we need better voice-command interfaces.

• Seunghan Song says:

I think so. So I developed this UNIVERSAL PHONE with voice-service system. I thought that both system in there would be better. Anyway your comment also convince me again. Thank you for your concern.

• Sean Park says:

Ah. You’re finalist of IDEA. Congraturation. I was ask you cause Universal Phone is similar with my Braille Phone. Visit my blog and let’s talk about design^^

• Seunghan Song says:

I just checked out your blog. There sre unique and innovative design works. It was really interesting.

• fredone says:

ok for the design

but where is the technologie ?
    did this tactile surface exist ?

• Carl says:

student work already

• Hello Yanko!

Would you consider making a accessibility category on the site with only designs aimed towards the disabled/impaired? Many organizations are interested in such innovations!

• Lamah says:

That’s a really challenging display surface. It has to be able to raise and lower at reasonably high resolution, the pixels have to be durable when raised in isolation, the pixels have to be able to change color, and (apparently) the surface needs to be pressure sensitive.

I’ve no doubt that it will be possible to make one day. But the cost of building such a display will mean that it’ll never be a popular choice for sighted people, why bother supporting them at all?

Apart from text messaging (for sending messages without other people in the area hearing what you are saying), why do blind people need a display on their phones at all? We already have voice dialing on existing phones, even the crappiest ones.

• Hello Yanko!

• ??
    this concept has been around for a while. Actually, this particular one is practically plagarism. The Red Dot Awards had this same concept and there’s been proposals for iPhone skins for blind people. Those were rendered waaaaay better too. I’ve honestly seen better renderings done with photoshop or illustrator. Come to think of it. There already are phones for blind people and similar concepts like this one have been prototyped and are in development. Sometimes, before starting a project like this it’s important to do maybe an hour (hopefully a lot more!) of research to know what could be improved and where your product fits in.

• Seunghan Song says:

Absolutely I researched and surveyed the mobile phone for the blind people. Most of those are just for the only blind people. Also the iPhone skin is for only them. But, is it really good for them? I don’t think so. It’s just fixed physically one type skin. Can they use all contents in the iPhone by using the skin? They can’t. cause you know phisycal interface have limit. It needs transformable user interface. Moreover, In case of normal people…Feed back of sense of touch for the existing touch screen phone is still imperfect, which often causes malfunctions. Especially, writing text messages. Have you thought that why mobile companies don’t make mobile phone only for the blind people. Because Companies are not willing to produce any products for special group of people which do not make profit for them. So the sight handicapped can not but use normal mobile phones made for ordinary people in spite of some inconvenience. I designed the Universal phone for those reasons.

• fredone says:

i work with disable people, and there is one thing: they don’t want a phone for disable people, they want to use the same phone as everyone. software with synthesiser already exist to install on Nokia http://www.comm8.com/html/rnib_talks.html

There is a probleme to make a braille interface, how do you write message? do you display the entire alphabet ? do you use perkins input ?
        and do you know how many percent of blind people use braille ?

very interesting work!!

• Rhys Cooper says:

I think its a very interesting concept, I’ve heard that there is a company that is developing a tactile toush screen phone interface that uses some sort of electro stimulated top layer that will swell up to excentuate the selection indicated on the screen. I can’t recall the name of the company.

At Orange dot we are working on simplified dialling interfaces that have audible and visual back up. We are trialling a low tech way to give a tactile border to touch screens by integrating the borders into a screen protector.

I think that fredone is right when they say that most people with a disability want to be able to use the same phones that everyone else is using.

Great concept though, it’s always great to see people trying to make communication more accessable.

• Cisca says:

It’s a great work though it may not be produced in a large amount and give high profit for the company. Anyway, I love the idea and the creativity behind a special product like this. Keep making a new great thing for anyone.

• al!sha Staciano says:

Its very thoughtful of having this kind of phone. Can’t believe that it is meant for the blind too!
    🙂 great..just love it.very creative.

• Ece Su says:

how can we buy this product, if possible?

• Ece Su says:

how can we buy this product, if possible?

• Geek says:

Oh wow..This is so good!

• Geek says:

Oh wow..This is so good!

• flex ticket says:

Feeling characters on screen is so much fun!

• flex ticket says:

Feeling characters on screen is so much fun!

• Whenever I come her it makes me think or smile so here is a little off topic comment to give you the same problem! Thanx again for your hard work and effort!:

If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it’s still a foolish thing. 🙂