Dirty Kitchen Towels Make Me Sad

Kitchen dish towels are basically vacation spots for the propagation of bacteria. Put it under a microscope and I’m sure you’d see a whole Club Med resort. Gross! We don’t wash our kitchen towels nearly as often as we should. WIPE-C DISHCLOZ is a mini washer designed just for kitchen towels. Drop it in the very cool iris opening top and voila! Clean kitchen towels. Not sure if it uses water and detergent but I’m already sold on the idea.

Designer: Hye-Jin Jang

• Wait, at first sight I imagined it was some UV system or something. If it’s water and detergent, I’m out. To much waste, of energy and water.

I’ll wait for some clarification

• I wonder, generally you take a dish cloth, put it into soapy water, use it then rinse with clear water and hang up. This would mean that your only trying to kill airborne bacteria. The use of water and detergent, or dilute bleach for that matter is a tried and tested method, this is a nice repackage.

• I agree water and detergent is a pretty good way to clean things, I’m just thinking about the environmental impact of such a machine. It’s like when they advise you should use your washing machine always with full load, so it’s more efficient. By the looks of the drawing, it could take more than one kitchen cloth, I’m just thinking it’s a bit of a waste.

• Sikantis says:

Yes, you’re right, dirty kitchen towels are full with bacterias. Cleaning them like that depends on how much this is green, such as use of electricity and type of soaps.

• foodtown says:

look forward to the answer

• Radhika Seth says:

An age old way to clean kitchen towels is to boil them in water, that’s what I do…a pot of boiling water with soap + towels. I hope this design uses UV or something similar.

• There are microorganisms that survive 100º celsius (water boiling temperature, don’t know in Farenheit). I’m just not sure they can be found in a kitchen… but if they do, boiling is no solution.

• extreamaphiles (little bugs that can live in extreme environments) don’t pose a health risk to us.

• I think you’re going too far, I’m not talking about extreamaphiles. Even some common bacteria can survive 100° celsius, in the form of spores. That’s why everything in a hospital should go through an autoclave. The autoclave reaches, because of the pressure on the system, temperatures higher than 100ºC, but even this is not enough. Whenever you heat something, bacteria dies, and generate spores. So, it becomes necessary to autoclave stuff more than once to kill the spores.

Ok, I might be exaggerating here, it’s just a kitchen cloth. But let’s just not call this product a solution if it really isn’t.

• Radhika Seth says:

maybe i shd add some disinfectant to the boiling water.

• confucius says:

Try the microwave. Best way to clean bacteria.

• Lamah says:

I wonder how easy the iris mechanism itself would be to clean.

• Adamski says:

Another task-specific plastic lump to produce and have in the kitchen?
    whats the big strain with just throwing them in the washing machine? it works wonderfully!!

• Hyun says:

It looks like someone who,,,,,,,,,,designer
    Good job Hye Jin