One Leg, But Still Can Walk With Pride

I really admired Princess Diana’s grit when it came to humane issues like landmines and landmine victims. Did you know that landmines injure 15,000 to 20,000 people every single year? A majority of them have been civilians and children, who have died due to the sheer impact. Those who survive have to deal with a life no less painful than death, due to limb amputations. Efforts like these temporary prosthetic limbs offer very quick support to injured people and help them to not give up on themselves.

The benevolent effort of industrial designer Tillmann Beuscher looks to offer a cheap artificial limb for landmine victims around the world. The prosthesis focuses on keeping people mobile. It is simple to use and easy to adapt into the lifestyle of the users independently.

Tillmann calls his work as a “Design of a temporary prosthetic limb to support humanitarian assistance for victims of landmines and worldwide explosive remaining of war.”
“Only provisionals are everlasting”

Designer: Tillmann Beuscher

This Map Shows Landmines Affected Areas

• Great work.

And it’s good to see that you are colour blind.

One small point that should be checked with end users,it might be good to do a render in the appropriate skin colour for the user?

• Hartigan says:

Wouldn’t that be racist? There is a fine line in being Politically Correct…

• Kris says:

I don't think the person is going to care as long as they have a working leg..

• Kris says:

I don't think the person is going to care as long as they have a working leg..

• Henrique Staino says:

Checking has naver done any harm, but I think it is better to face the fact that the person has a prosthetic leg than trying to “hide” it with “skin colours”. They usually look fake and are worse than a white one.

Great idea!

How much weight can it support?

• ahboyd says:

Cool designer save the world project but… does Thailand has that much land mines? How about Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma, Laos. None of them are hi-lighted on that cool ID..ish map. Does the designer even know where those countries are?

• TechSurgeon says:

Does it really matter? As long as the leg works and it gets to the people who need it, who cares about the accuracy of a diagramatic map with negligeable accuracy? It's purpose is to highlight the extent of the problem.

• TechSurgeon says:

• Confucius says:

Clever and humane concept. I would presume that the device is height adjustable.

• nizam says:

I want to know more details about this ‘One Leg, But Still Can Walk With Pride’as I am interested in buying one for me if it comes into my range.

I lost my right leg above the knee and having a stump of four inches and was using an artificial limb made out of fibre glass and microcellular rubber with knee joint, bending action of 90 degrees, for a long time after a course of three months training under an American in the year 1966/67 at Vellore Christian Medical College and Hospital.

May I pleased to have the details to my mail.

Tx u for the services rendered to the handicapes.

• Adamski says:

Great to see a designer working with real human needs..you going to designer heaven!

maybe you need to check you map a little..Does India really have a lot of landmines?

Would be interesting to indicate on the map the countries that make landmines..we might see a few unpleasent surprises!

good luck with taking this further!

• wil from France says:

don’t dream too much : who will be able to pay that?!…

*in french : ne rêve pas trop : qui pourra se payer ça!…

• Boss says:

The “This Map Shows Landmines Affected Areas” is totally a crap and made up story. Atleast 50% of the maps is totally wrong. Please check with a UN site before publishing these kinds of statistics

• arjun gehlot says:

Wow! The whole of India is practically covered with landmines!

I’m Indian and I didn’t know!!! DUH?!!?

Honestly, gret design and product but get your facts right.

• beverly huffman says:

There is hope for us all, when you see people trying to help others who are in need improve their quality of life. Ask yourself what you can do to help other people in need any way that you can.

• laketha Walker says:

Hello do anyone know where I can purchase one of these for my mom , please email me she jus got her 2nd amputation an the rite leg was the leg she uses ti transfer in an out the bed please help me.

• laketha Walker says:

Hello is it possible someone can give me some information about the prosthetic my mother had her second amputation and her right leg was the leg she uses to get n an out of her Wheelchair. Pls email me [email protected]

• The Calligrapher says:

The whole Russian territory is painted as “landmines affected area”? What is that supposed to mean?