Midnight Bookworms Rejoice

I find my best reading is done at night. There’s too much stimulation during the day for me to fully immerse myself in a book. But then there’s the problem of disturbing the person next to you if you keep a light on so what’s one to do? The MARK bookmark is just the ticket. During the day it’s like any other bookmark but at night, glows to illuminate your pages via FOLED technology.

FOLEDs or flexible organic light emitting diodes provide bright illumination with very little power. MARK uses a sheet of thin plastic embedded with FOLEDs to achieve a glowing effect. The intensity of the light can be controlled and the best part is if you fall asleep, you’re bookmark is already where you left off. Although just a concept, MARK won the Red Dot Award for best design concept in 2007 so something like it will be in stores soon.

Designer: Avnish Gautam

• Detergent Dinners says:

Is it just me or has technology promoted extreme lazyness?

• Sumocat says:

What’s lazy about targeted illumination? Sure, it takes more work to read by candlelight, but lighting and later blowing out a candle is not exactly strenuous exercise.

• Shawn Dude says:

Um, I bought the SO a “Harry Potter Book Light” AKA “Lumos” at Borders several years ago that is nothing but a sheet of plexiglas with some bright white LEDs along one edge. It isn’t OLED coolness, but pretty much works exactly the same way. Except, of course, you get the cool choice of a wand, broom, or owl button logo. $10.00.

• Derrick says:

Do you have to hold it while you’re reading and slide it down the page? When I read I like to be involved in what I’m reading and not be distracted by having to hold something.

• avnish gautam says:

No, u don’t have to hold it, it can be manufactured in different sizes and shapes, which can be accommodated in all sized books.

• Rainy Day Interns says:

Of course, if it is also a scanner or has a language translator built-in where the translated text appears instead of the original…then it would be pretty cool 🙂

• Greysky says:

this is extremly usefull when reading on a plane at night

• TotoroTotoro says:

It is a cool idea, but it looks like it works for exactly one size book, otherwise it sticks too far out or not far enough

• avnish gautam says:

This can be manufactured in different sizes and shapes to accommodate all sized books.This is quite possible, i really appreciate your feed back.

• Gerry Grant says:

I am an avid e-book reader and I would definifly buy one. I have the Sony PRS 500 and will soon be purchasing the Kindle. Great idea and I hope to be able to purchase one soon!!!

• Phoghat says:

What about Kindles, Nooks, etc.? I've got a Kindle and love it, mainly because I can carry my entire library (it holds about 3500) IF you made something that wood fit the Kindle without having to hold it in place, THAT sir, would be a winner.
        Save paper and trees–Read on a screen!

• Phoghat says:

Save paper and trees–Read on a screen!

• Djeror says:

You can already get something almost exactly like this, just not as thin.

• Holykemp says:

While the product you linked to does in fact light up a page of a book, it is acrylic, so it doesn’t bend (to act as a real paper bookmark does) and could break. This concept combines the two because it is flexible. So I wouldn’t say the two products are exactly alike.

• Ubergoober says:

Once I figure out how this fits over my CRT monitor, I’ll be in bookmark heaven!!

Enquiring minds want to know!

😉

• Scott T says:

They need to make one for the sony reader now.

• pooja says:

MARK bookmark! wow m waiting for the time when it’ll hit the stores!

• avnish gautam says:

HI Pooja, I am in the process of bringing it into production.Soon u will see it in stores.
      Thanks for the appreciation.

• Joltdude says:

This thing is a great idea.. Id like one that would fit my Sony Ereader (new version)

• Joie Cheng says:

It is great~ But I wonder where can I buy it. It is released on market yet?

• Claire says:

Where do we got hold of one of these?

Thanks
    Claire

• barry says:

How to buy “Midnight Bookworms Rejoice”

• Andrew says:

Hey, send me a message whenever it starts in production, I would love a few as gifts for friend and family bookworms. That’s and awesome gift!

• Grace Lam says:

Please kindly let me know when the production “midnight bookworms” will be in market. How to buy it, specially in Hong Kong?

• michik0 says:

oh wow.. this is awesome. i cant wait for it to come out in the market. i hope its not too expensive because it would be a great gift!! =]

• tony says:

The already on the market products linked to here are still too bulky and take away from the reading experience. What you need is something like MARK which is a barely there product.

• Rhea says:

Really sweet idea looking forward to seeing it on the shelves.

• Zoosty says:

i will buy one!

• Corina says:

palante Sigan evangelizando al Mundo atravez de la musica

Bendiciones de Hoola a Todos a Mi nombre es soja mariela maestra
    de Escuela Dominical de la ONU Hace mes y Deseo me ayuden Con las ensenanzas Amén y gracias