Don’t Answer That Knock!

When redesigning my house front door, we actually went through the discussion of peephole placement. While most of my family members are tall enough for standard placement, my mother-in-law and daughter are not. I wish I had chanced upon this creatively designed “Who is out there” peephole back then! It is such a simple solution to the age-old problem of how children or adults can safely open the door by seeing who is on the other side.

Designer: Hyun-june Yang

• hokki says:

Apparantly from the cartoon, the kids grow a tail using this device. I’d stay away from it.

• Noel says:

For years I’ve trained my 7 year old to ask who is at the door before opening. Obviously she does not have the life experiences that adults have. When she hears a knock, she becomes impulsive and excited because she thinks it’s one of her friends or the mail man bringing us a package. (Keep in mind that she will rush for the door while we are HERE WITH HER). When I saw this device, I thought it was an excellent idea! Even without adult judgement, she would at least have the benefit of knowing if the person knocking a stranger or not.

• TCS says:

This is a product I’d love to have, though not for a child–I’m just very short, and there are definitely times when I’d rather not have a stranger hear my dragging out the stepstool so I can see out.

• Grey says:

“why not just drill a second hole?

Not to be crass, but most of the small children I know are not adept at identifying adults by looking at their crotch.

That said, this design has merit, from the design perspective. Functionally, it over-reaches. It seems like it would be cost prohibitive in situations where it would be most necessary (regarding the child application).

If it is for the use in a home with a significantly shorter adult than the average, then it might be a more reasonable purchase.

Logically, however, this design seems most apt to find success, and cost effectiveness, if it were to be implemented during the production of the doors.

Aftermarket installation does not seem viable on a marketable scale.

That said, excellent design. :)

• lana says:

i could not believe the ignorent racist disgusting remarks you posted there you should be ashamed of yourself i would never feel good leaving a child in YOUR presence with such narrow minded beliefs!!!first of all eating dogs is not common thing in korea and even thougt who are you to say that dogs are a better class of animals than what cows chickens pigs and should not be eaten???in other countries they would never eat a cow or pigs for the same reasons what do you have to say to that i dont hear them judjing you!!do you know how it is for parents that have to work all day to provide for them and their kids when i was 7 and up me and my 9year old brother were smart enough to be at home alone when my mother was not there dont you think they would rather be whit us but for SOME poeple working is a nessecity and didnt have everything given to them so if you obviously dont know what you are talking about dont say anything hope you will go to bed smarter tonight!

• Tonya says:

These are a great idea, not just for children but for people who are too short to use the normal high peep holes or people in wheelchairs. Special Note NOT all doors can have a second hole drilled in due to fire regulations so something like this is perfect. I would be interested and I know others who would also.

• What’s up to all, hoow is everything, I think every one
      is getting more from this site, and your views are pleasant
      in support of new viewers.