Bamboo Bike

Designer Paulus Maringka is a pro at sustainable bike designs! The Greencycle bamboo bike aims to minimize labor and production costs while still improving human power functionality. What’s more is that the design focuses on the affordability, desirability, and overall need of the Third World target users. The laminated bamboo frame design is not only sustainable and economical, but utilizes the skills of the local craftsmen.

Designer: Paulus Maringka

• Sergiy says:

Idea is great!
    But what about rear wheel? It looks weak and not safe.

• Ruben says:

I agree whith you the rear wheel holder construction looks week, and I know that this is for a third world country target user but here´s the brakes?

• Is there a reason the seatstay and chainstay are so long?
    Is there any mechanism to prevent dropping the chain when the rear end flexes under pedaling load and compromises the chainline?

• Marcel says:

I really like the ‘modular’ idea of this bike in a sense that it becomes more portable.
    But in my experience with bicycles, I found that if there is one part of a bicycle that is, over anything else, suited for recycling, it’s the frame.
    So maybe I’m wrong about this, but I’m just wondering if it is that particular part of the bicycle that demands some kind of locally produced alternative in the Third World.
    And then there is the absence of a supporting bar between the saddle and the bracket area.
    I don’t know anything about the structural properties of laminated bamboo, but I am assuming that the terrain these bikes are going to be used on will require for them to be able to withstand a lot of stress.
    I’m just saying that if it were me, I’d feel a whole lot safer having the supporting bar.

• Marcel says:

I just wanted to say also, that your ‘moveable bracket’ idea is quite brilliant.
    If you came up with this, I suggest you file a patent for it, because in the back of my mind, I can see a whole legion of fixie and single speed freaks hooting and holloring over this.

• Adam says:

In NYC and SF there is a studio “Bamboo Bike Studio” that has been making bamboo bikes for a while. The idea is nice, but the construction is weak. On this bike even more.

I bike every day and I like building bikes. Here is my constructive thoughts, hopefully.. This is an idea and not a working bike. You would have to do a redesign of most parts to make it safe for the third world, because they deserve that too right? Unlike some others I reckon the bracket will not go well in the fixed gear community.. I ride track bikes and this is too weak. Horizontal dropout already have the function of stretching the chain hence there would be no need to move the bottom bracket and crank. This also leads to changing your position of the pedals to the front, which is not a preferable thing. The geometry of bikes sets up for different use. Length adds flex and without a seat tube even more so.

The other “Greencycle 2″ makes more sense and I would be happy to see some working prototypes with users. Good luck

• design+ says:

this is only half assed design.

it lacks the structure requirements of a bicycle and the production cost CAN NOT be lower than current bicycles with similar equipments.

I really donno what the deal is with “bamboo cycles”.

just because you use bamboo, doesn’t make it “green”.

maybe it does. since, “green” is a term hippie hipsters use for “I am so cool for having this product”. heh

• rhe says:

Aside from all the criticism that appeared in the comments above, I’d give a plus for making a prototype. At least the author can experience all the flaws of such design. Hopefully without getting seriously injured.

• Darryl says:

The bicycles design appears to be like bikes of the 60’s and early 70’s where you applied the brakes by peddling backwards. The length of the chain is also reminiscent of that era as is the mount for the rear wheel. The one thing though that I do see could be added is a chain guard so that you wouldn’t get your pant leg caught in the chain.

• Alex Morlina says:

Great work here creating the prototype, Would be nice to know how long it took to make laminated bamboo strips and if you were able to find a homebrew natural glue of some sort to put the strips together. Just wondering why not just replace bamboo and go rattan all the way? Seems like a circular Rattan bike would be stronger and lighter than reinforce bamboo strips.

• Sceptic says:

Clever ad.
    Nowhere the price is mentioned.
    A steel bike, produced IN a “developing” (what a politically incorrect term!) country like India costs like 50 Euro, that includes all. It can be repaired at any corner shop and gives work to the workers for that country to “develop”.
    Sorry, I think this is to make you click a page and add to its ranking value.

• design+ says:

i donno what the deal is with “bamboo green fetish”

using bamboo on everythign doesnt automatically make it somehow better for the environment and more cost effective.

just look at the construction on this thing.

it is POS.

• Winddncr says:

I think this is a great attempt and exercise at producing and working in different ways with bamboo.
    Which is a renewable and easily grown plant.
    If anyone knew a process of getting metal from the earth or even recycling metal to it’s finished product there would be no question about how green this bike is. And it is people who have the courage to try that make the difference, not those who sit and criticize!
    Well done and good luck

• Ngan says:

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I will ensure that I
    bookmark your blog and will come back later on. I want to encourage
    that you continue your great job, have a nice afternoon!