At OXO, we’re on a quest to make the everyday better. For over 25 years, we’ve made household tools that delight our customers and exceed their expectations. When we have an idea, we’re going to make it happen, even if it hasn’t been done before—especially if it hasn’t been done before. If you’ve ever thought, “there’s got to be a better way to do this”, you belong here, too. We balance hard work with a thriving office culture; community isn’t just a buzzword at OXO, it’s a way of life. With a guest speaker series covering topics like service robots and crafting hard-to-write letters, group limoncello making, book and bike clubs, volunteering opportunities, luau-themed happy hours, summer outings to theme parks, and an annual ski trip—we like coming to work every day and think you should, too. OXO is part of Helen of Troy, a leading global consumer products company with career opportunities in North America, South America, Europe and Asia. Helen of Troy offer creative solutions for customers through a diversified portfolio of well-recognized and widely trusted brands, including OXO®, Hydro Flask®, Vicks®, Braun®, Honeywell®, PUR®, Hot Tools®, Revlon®, Pert®, and Brut®. Most of these brands rank #1 or #2 in their respective categories. Over the past 50 years, Helen of Troy has grown organically as well as through acquisition, seeking out and building world-class brands and outstanding products that elevate people’s lives everywhere, every day.
OXO is hiring a Jr. Industrial Designer who will play a key role in supporting the business in the development of the industrial design through the aesthetics, ergonomics and user experience of the OXO brand.
This highly creative individual should be able to think outside the box while understanding the constraints of design. Applying thoughtful and strategic thinking through the design process while being able to take constructive feedback and work collaboratively.
• Design and develop new products through strategic thinking and process.
• Assess user experience associated with ergonomics, user logic and interaction of the product.
• Ideate product aesthetics associated with form, color and design language.
• Identify and problem solve end user needs through rigorous user testing.
• Apply research and insights to design; ensuring functionality, user experience and aesthetics are on brand to OXO’s core philosophy – universal design.
• Define color solutions in a purposeful and strategic manner which aligns with the business goals.
• Design within the constraints of manufacturing and cost.
• Align with engineering through all stages of design development.
• Evaluate and assess marketplace and competition.
• Stay current on trends; color, materials, culture that help drive product design.
• Apply relevant research and insights to design goals.
• 4-year Industrial Design degree.
• Must have 1-3 years of relevant Industrial design experience designing for manufactured consumer goods.
• Solid Works proficient – Must be able to build complex shapes and forms.
• Keyshot proficient.
• Adobe Photoshop and illustrator proficient.
• Strong sketching skills or ability to communicate design intent effectively and quickly.
• Previous exposure to product manufacturing; plastics and injection molded part design preferable.
• Experience working in the consumer-goods realm preferable.
• Effective project management, collaboration and communication abilities.
• Practical hands-on general workshop skills (hand-tools, power-tools, saws, drill-presses, grinders, etc.).
• Demonstrated hands-on design and new product development experience in a professional product design environment.
• Demonstrates strong understanding of aesthetics, design function, and Human factors.
• Ability to articulate subjective ideas in a meaningful and logical manner.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with others.
New York (NY), USA.