Scuba Breath

My perception of a pristine and peaceful scuba dive changed when I went for my first dive off the Great Barrier Reef. It looks so easy in the movies, but the breathing underwater with an oxygen mask is difficult. Don’t let those practice lessons in the swimming pool fool you! To make it easier for us, here is the Triton Oxygen Mask For Diving. It is a very convenient oxygen respirator concept that allows us to breathe under water for a long time by simply biting it. It also does not require the skill of breathing in and out while biting mouthpiece like conventional respirator.

• Triton uses a new technology of artificial gill model.
  • It extracts oxygen under water through a filter in the form of fine threads with holes smaller than water molecules.
  • This is a technology developed by a Korean scientist that allows us to freely breathe under water for a long time.
  • Using a very small but powerful micro compressor, it compresses oxygen and stores the extracted oxygen in storage tank.
  • The micro compressor operates through micro battery.
  • The micro battery is a next-generation technology with a size 30 times smaller than current battery that can quickly charge 1,000 times faster.

Triton is a 2013 sadi product innovation studio project.

Designer: Jeabyun Yeon

• Cassandra says:

When I saw this, this first thing I thought of was http://www.vizzed.com/retrotoons/screenshot/1-1-61-C.jpg

• jd says:

The difference is that airplanes and rockets were designed by people who knew the scientific principles necessary in order to make them functional products.

This breather mask would never work, because the average volume of free oxygen found in water is so low that you would need to filter 50+ GALLONS of water with each breath in order to capture enough to stay alive.

• Giles says:

Although Christopher is being a bit cynical here, he’s right.
    This design has already been debunked scientifically. It would need to filter just under 200 liters of water for a human to take one breathe (500mL of gas), which at a controlled breathing rate is 38 liters of water per second. Even with a modified design, it’s been found that the intake of water needed is still too unrealistic to work functionally enough to keep someone alive.
    Neat idea, scientifically impossible.

• Evites Evil Twin says:

This was shot down by a scientist 13 hours ago, enjoy your dreams.

• tkn156 says:

It is pseudoscience. It won’t work because in order to get enough oxygen to fill your lungs, over 34 gallons of water would need to pass through the device every second, (more as you go deeper under water) not to mention that pure oxygen is toxic. Now this isn’t using current technology, this is using facts that we have that prove the impossibility of a device unless you want to create stuff from nothing which I assure means you need to keep dreaming because we can’t do that. (without creating antimatter which would quickly combine with the matter, destroy it and release all the energy back into your face that you put into creating the matter in the first place.)

Is it possible? Yes if you want to have thousands of gallons of water rushing by you. Is it practical? no. Will it ever be practical? No.

Instead of just being optimistic, try being a bit practical too.

• Rophiandis says:

Everybody seems to be focusing on the implausibly large amount of water that the device would need to filter, but there’s actually a much bigger problem with the explanation:

“It extracts oxygen under water through a filter in the form of fine threads with holes smaller than water molecules.”

The problem? Oxygen molecules (~3.6 Angstroms) are BIGGER than water molecules (~2.8 Angstroms). Any hole that would exclude H2O molecules would necessarily also exclude O2.

• Monica says:

How can oxygen molecules be bigger than water molecules, since water is made up of three separate molecules fused together and oxygen is only one? Isn’t that why water is more dense.

• kenny says:

Nice defense!

• Beau says:

I want one please, email me back for acount and adress information cherz , beau

• H J says:

Well you may hate people like him, but he is correct nonetheless…

• Ron says:

Go back to your little creationist church and cry. If I want a bottle of tears, I go to an orphanage.

• mason says:

I’m pretty sure 40 years ago they said half the technology we have today would be impossible… but they made that shit happen. If you really want it, you can make it happen.

• Niurka Lopez says:

Very very cool
    Let’s see how they do

• matt says:

not possible with current tech. this is still 10ish years off. biggest problem is a strong power source. current gen batteries suck

• hunter says:

I want one

• Doc says:

This would have more than enough energy to work, the “New battery technology” is actually a Flux Capacitor!

• Graham says:

Even with a flux gate capacitor (which is old technology now in 2014), you can’t turn lead into gold and you can’t extract more dissolved oxygen than is present in the water.

• Brad says:

Yay! Finally I see a post from a diver pointing out the basic and pure physics of how this can not work. As you said oxygen poisoning, most people don’t know it exists until they get certified for diving. My doubt lied purely in the pressure change of the water. They say “micro compressor” well, my career revolves around compressors and it takes huge amounts of energy and produces huge amounts of heat to compress gas. So again another reason It does work. Show me a link of where I can buy one so I can see first had for myself how they have defied the laws of physics so I too can be a magician!

• Bat Fastard says:

I can’t believe it. You people are yammering on about this toy for breathing underwater. This may be the Holy Grail for water powered cars. Who needs diesel and gasoline when you can have a water tank with this gadget in it providing O2 for the engine? Mother of Christ this is a revelation. Screw OPEC, why isn’t this thing being retrofitted into Chevy’s and Fords?!? I am sure there are engineering problems with the concept but the potential just floors me. Does anyone else see this?

• xyronjames says:

is this product now available? if so?, where can i purchase one? Thank you.

• Graham says:

No this is not available. It’s not even possible. It’s no more than a mockup of a hypothetical but impossible product by a “design” (not science or engineering) student.
    And no, no amount of clever technology will make this thing possible any more than advanced technology will make Star Trek transporters possible. There quite simply is not enough dissolved oxygen present in water for this to work.

Oh what the heck, yes, we’re developing it, it should be ready for market within five years, and within ten we’ll be selling cars which run on the unlimited quantity of dissolved oxygen we will extract from just 2 litres of water. Unless of course the oil companies buy our silence first.

I weep for the future of humanity.

• Arwen says:

Lack of oxygen in the water is not the only problem. Breathing is not only a way to get oxygen, but also a way of loosing carbon dioxide from your system. Let’s say somehow this device would manage filtering enough oxygen to sustain human life under water. But I don’t think it would create ventilation volumes big enough to get rid of the carbon dioxide.
    So even if it worked, the possibility of getting CO2 or O2 poisoning would be very very high.

• James Williams says:

I want one and how much is it

• Graham says:

James, IT DOES NOT EXIST.
    It cannot exist.
    It is as real as a Star Trek transporter or an alchemists process for changing lead into gold.

• RebreatherDiver says:

So let’s also extract hydrogen from water and breathe HydrOx 🙂

• GloriaC says:

Great idea!! Maybe it might be good for shallow diving?? But I think it’s a skit for the stock market!! Everyone will want to buy shares!! Then they will dump it..

• Sutter says:

It’s not working….
    We can not only breathe oxygen !!?

• mik says:

Exactly I will wait to see if its for real or not!

• mik says:

Remember the hoover craft skate board!

people were like I WANT ONE! Turns out it hasnt happened yet!

• nick93 says:

I believe it could be done, but at this size, needs a very very tiny processing unit to extract/supply at will and reject pre-mixed air flow to and from the lungs, watever the depth. Just a question of time for technology and research to adapt I guess. Nowadays, worldwide spread embedded micro computing and recent involvments in molecular and nano technologies could lead to a success. In any case, I’d rather think human kind can create this thing!
    Thanks for reading.

• Vinson says:

I guess Christopher just doesn’t have a high enough intelligence level to comprehend possibilities that can combine with reality thanks to technology and science.

• tisagon says:

You actually don’t have to break molecular bonds to extract dissolved oxygen from water. It acts in a similar manner to CO2 dissolved in pop. When you lower the pressure the gas rushes out towards the low pressure area. With only a small amount of power you could run a small pump creating a partial vacuum in your device while compressing the air in another chamber as is claimed in the article. This would attract dissolved gases in the ocean water, which are at similar percentages to the atmosphere (this is why fish don’t die from oxygen toxicity). I am not an expert so correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that this concept could work. I think the hardest part would be creating the molecular holes. would lasers work?

• tisagon says:

I agree that this would allow many more people to buy something that would allow them access to a dangerous environment but think of skydiving. You can’t just go out an get a parachute, then jump out of a plane without someone training you. We could limit access.
    You actually don’t have to break molecular bonds to extract dissolved oxygen and other gasses from water. It acts in a similar manner to CO2 dissolved in pop. When you lower the pressure the gas rushes out towards the low pressure area. With only a small amount of power you could run a small pump creating a partial vacuum in your device while compressing the air in another chamber as is claimed in the article. This would attract dissolved gases in the ocean water, which are at percentages not super far off from the atmosphere (this is why fish don’t die from oxygen toxicity). Oxygen is at roughly 35% so may still cause problems at depth. I am not an expert so correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that this concept could work. From your experience is there other technical issues with this your can think of? I like the idea but still seems pretty far fetched to me. I think the hardest part would be creating the molecular holes to strain out water but let gasses in.

• Jean-Michel says:

What the heck? This not even for real… The technologie does not even exist… Can I slap you in the face what a pinguin?

• sex says:

Your style is really unique in comparison to other people I’ve read stuff
    from. I appreciate you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book mark this site.

• Phil d says:

Dove off of oxygen since 1998…
    Dove off of nitrox since 2004…
    Dove this thing in 2014….
    I’ve never so free in my fef-ing life!

• Ben says:

let’s see shall we? They said the earth was flat and would kill you if you thought otherwise! Said man could not fly. The list could go on. LOL, I can even remember life with out computers, electronic games, Wish I were a kid in this Generation. Seems to me humans envision or imagine something and than go out and figure out how! Your the kid that don’t get your butt up off the ground when you been knocked down, in essence a sluggard and quitter and despise the ones out there doing something. GO HOME TO MOMMA!

• Josh says:

This has nothing to do with the ability to fucking dream. There are serious physics and biology issues with this. Never mind bringing up the detractors of the Wright brothers or anybody else. That argument is nothing more than the Galileo gambit: They laughed at Galileo, and he was right. They laugh at me, thus I am right.
    Don’t fall into fallacious traps. The diver below is right. There is a minimum yield that would allow a human to breathe, and the physics prevents any sort of tech, just short of miraculous or heroic, from obtaining that sort of yield on this scale.