Scuba Breath

My perception of a pristine and peaceful scuba dive changed when I went for my first dive off the Great Barrier Reef. It looks so easy in the movies, but the breathing underwater with an oxygen mask is difficult. Don’t let those practice lessons in the swimming pool fool you! To make it easier for us, here is the Triton Oxygen Mask For Diving. It is a very convenient oxygen respirator concept that allows us to breathe under water for a long time by simply biting it. It also does not require the skill of breathing in and out while biting mouthpiece like conventional respirator.

• Triton uses a new technology of artificial gill model.
  • It extracts oxygen under water through a filter in the form of fine threads with holes smaller than water molecules.
  • This is a technology developed by a Korean scientist that allows us to freely breathe under water for a long time.
  • Using a very small but powerful micro compressor, it compresses oxygen and stores the extracted oxygen in storage tank.
  • The micro compressor operates through micro battery.
  • The micro battery is a next-generation technology with a size 30 times smaller than current battery that can quickly charge 1,000 times faster.

Triton is a 2013 sadi product innovation studio project.

Designer: Jeabyun Yeon

• Giles says:

Although Christopher is being a bit cynical here, he’s right.
    This design has already been debunked scientifically. It would need to filter just under 200 liters of water for a human to take one breathe (500mL of gas), which at a controlled breathing rate is 38 liters of water per second. Even with a modified design, it’s been found that the intake of water needed is still too unrealistic to work functionally enough to keep someone alive.
    Neat idea, scientifically impossible.

• Evites Evil Twin says:

This was shot down by a scientist 13 hours ago, enjoy your dreams.

• tkn156 says:

It is pseudoscience. It won’t work because in order to get enough oxygen to fill your lungs, over 34 gallons of water would need to pass through the device every second, (more as you go deeper under water) not to mention that pure oxygen is toxic. Now this isn’t using current technology, this is using facts that we have that prove the impossibility of a device unless you want to create stuff from nothing which I assure means you need to keep dreaming because we can’t do that. (without creating antimatter which would quickly combine with the matter, destroy it and release all the energy back into your face that you put into creating the matter in the first place.)

Is it possible? Yes if you want to have thousands of gallons of water rushing by you. Is it practical? no. Will it ever be practical? No.

Instead of just being optimistic, try being a bit practical too.

• Rophiandis says:

Everybody seems to be focusing on the implausibly large amount of water that the device would need to filter, but there’s actually a much bigger problem with the explanation:

“It extracts oxygen under water through a filter in the form of fine threads with holes smaller than water molecules.”

The problem? Oxygen molecules (~3.6 Angstroms) are BIGGER than water molecules (~2.8 Angstroms). Any hole that would exclude H2O molecules would necessarily also exclude O2.

• Monica says:

How can oxygen molecules be bigger than water molecules, since water is made up of three separate molecules fused together and oxygen is only one? Isn’t that why water is more dense.

• kenny says:

Nice defense!

• Beau says:

I want one please, email me back for acount and adress information cherz , beau

• H J says:

Well you may hate people like him, but he is correct nonetheless…

• Ron says:

Go back to your little creationist church and cry. If I want a bottle of tears, I go to an orphanage.

• mason says:

I’m pretty sure 40 years ago they said half the technology we have today would be impossible… but they made that shit happen. If you really want it, you can make it happen.

• Niurka Lopez says:

Very very cool
    Let’s see how they do

• matt says:

not possible with current tech. this is still 10ish years off. biggest problem is a strong power source. current gen batteries suck

• hunter says:

I want one

• Doc says:

This would have more than enough energy to work, the “New battery technology” is actually a Flux Capacitor!

• Graham says:

Even with a flux gate capacitor (which is old technology now in 2014), you can’t turn lead into gold and you can’t extract more dissolved oxygen than is present in the water.

• Brad says:

Yay! Finally I see a post from a diver pointing out the basic and pure physics of how this can not work. As you said oxygen poisoning, most people don’t know it exists until they get certified for diving. My doubt lied purely in the pressure change of the water. They say “micro compressor” well, my career revolves around compressors and it takes huge amounts of energy and produces huge amounts of heat to compress gas. So again another reason It does work. Show me a link of where I can buy one so I can see first had for myself how they have defied the laws of physics so I too can be a magician!

• Bat Fastard says:

I can’t believe it. You people are yammering on about this toy for breathing underwater. This may be the Holy Grail for water powered cars. Who needs diesel and gasoline when you can have a water tank with this gadget in it providing O2 for the engine? Mother of Christ this is a revelation. Screw OPEC, why isn’t this thing being retrofitted into Chevy’s and Fords?!? I am sure there are engineering problems with the concept but the potential just floors me. Does anyone else see this?

• xyronjames says:

is this product now available? if so?, where can i purchase one? Thank you.

• Graham says:

No this is not available. It’s not even possible. It’s no more than a mockup of a hypothetical but impossible product by a “design” (not science or engineering) student.
    And no, no amount of clever technology will make this thing possible any more than advanced technology will make Star Trek transporters possible. There quite simply is not enough dissolved oxygen present in water for this to work.

Oh what the heck, yes, we’re developing it, it should be ready for market within five years, and within ten we’ll be selling cars which run on the unlimited quantity of dissolved oxygen we will extract from just 2 litres of water. Unless of course the oil companies buy our silence first.

I weep for the future of humanity.

• Arwen says:

Lack of oxygen in the water is not the only problem. Breathing is not only a way to get oxygen, but also a way of loosing carbon dioxide from your system. Let’s say somehow this device would manage filtering enough oxygen to sustain human life under water. But I don’t think it would create ventilation volumes big enough to get rid of the carbon dioxide.
    So even if it worked, the possibility of getting CO2 or O2 poisoning would be very very high.

• James Williams says:

I want one and how much is it

• Graham says:

James, IT DOES NOT EXIST.
    It cannot exist.
    It is as real as a Star Trek transporter or an alchemists process for changing lead into gold.

• RebreatherDiver says:

So let’s also extract hydrogen from water and breathe HydrOx 🙂

• GloriaC says:

Great idea!! Maybe it might be good for shallow diving?? But I think it’s a skit for the stock market!! Everyone will want to buy shares!! Then they will dump it..

• Sutter says:

It’s not working….
    We can not only breathe oxygen !!?

• mik says:

Exactly I will wait to see if its for real or not!

• mik says:

Remember the hoover craft skate board!

people were like I WANT ONE! Turns out it hasnt happened yet!

• nick93 says:

I believe it could be done, but at this size, needs a very very tiny processing unit to extract/supply at will and reject pre-mixed air flow to and from the lungs, watever the depth. Just a question of time for technology and research to adapt I guess. Nowadays, worldwide spread embedded micro computing and recent involvments in molecular and nano technologies could lead to a success. In any case, I’d rather think human kind can create this thing!
    Thanks for reading.

• Vinson says:

I guess Christopher just doesn’t have a high enough intelligence level to comprehend possibilities that can combine with reality thanks to technology and science.

• tisagon says:

You actually don’t have to break molecular bonds to extract dissolved oxygen from water. It acts in a similar manner to CO2 dissolved in pop. When you lower the pressure the gas rushes out towards the low pressure area. With only a small amount of power you could run a small pump creating a partial vacuum in your device while compressing the air in another chamber as is claimed in the article. This would attract dissolved gases in the ocean water, which are at similar percentages to the atmosphere (this is why fish don’t die from oxygen toxicity). I am not an expert so correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that this concept could work. I think the hardest part would be creating the molecular holes. would lasers work?

• tisagon says:

I agree that this would allow many more people to buy something that would allow them access to a dangerous environment but think of skydiving. You can’t just go out an get a parachute, then jump out of a plane without someone training you. We could limit access.
    You actually don’t have to break molecular bonds to extract dissolved oxygen and other gasses from water. It acts in a similar manner to CO2 dissolved in pop. When you lower the pressure the gas rushes out towards the low pressure area. With only a small amount of power you could run a small pump creating a partial vacuum in your device while compressing the air in another chamber as is claimed in the article. This would attract dissolved gases in the ocean water, which are at percentages not super far off from the atmosphere (this is why fish don’t die from oxygen toxicity). Oxygen is at roughly 35% so may still cause problems at depth. I am not an expert so correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that this concept could work. From your experience is there other technical issues with this your can think of? I like the idea but still seems pretty far fetched to me. I think the hardest part would be creating the molecular holes to strain out water but let gasses in.

• Jean-Michel says:

What the heck? This not even for real… The technologie does not even exist… Can I slap you in the face what a pinguin?

• sex says:

Your style is really unique in comparison to other people I’ve read stuff
    from. I appreciate you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book mark this site.

• Phil d says:

Dove off of oxygen since 1998…
    Dove off of nitrox since 2004…
    Dove this thing in 2014….
    I’ve never so free in my fef-ing life!

• Ben says:

let’s see shall we? They said the earth was flat and would kill you if you thought otherwise! Said man could not fly. The list could go on. LOL, I can even remember life with out computers, electronic games, Wish I were a kid in this Generation. Seems to me humans envision or imagine something and than go out and figure out how! Your the kid that don’t get your butt up off the ground when you been knocked down, in essence a sluggard and quitter and despise the ones out there doing something. GO HOME TO MOMMA!

• Josh says:

This has nothing to do with the ability to fucking dream. There are serious physics and biology issues with this. Never mind bringing up the detractors of the Wright brothers or anybody else. That argument is nothing more than the Galileo gambit: They laughed at Galileo, and he was right. They laugh at me, thus I am right.
    Don’t fall into fallacious traps. The diver below is right. There is a minimum yield that would allow a human to breathe, and the physics prevents any sort of tech, just short of miraculous or heroic, from obtaining that sort of yield on this scale.

• CrAZYpeopLe says:

Final project for engineering 101?

• Guest says:

Christopher is just a modern day version of what Robert Fulton had to put up with and his steamship. The local wags called it “Fulton’s Folly.” Close minded and incapable of embracing change even when it’s good for them.

• Matt says:

As an engineer this shit pisses me off,

Making pretty pictures and doing no Maths is not ‘Designing’, designing is what I do, and there are literally scores of reasons why this is total bull.

But it’ll get thousands of shares on Facebook anyway, because hey, pretty pictures, who gives a fuck how it works right?

The most obvious things that spring to mind are that humans don’t breathe pure oxygen, doing so is deadly, air is 21/79% Oxygen/Nitrogen, so where does the nitrogen come from?

Regardless of composition how do you even get enough gas to actually expand your lungs in the first place? You really think there’s that much Oxygen suspended in the water? Nope.

• JerryH says:

Your discussion is excellent, but it’s based on the rather simplistic description of the technology in the article which targets a mass audience. My guess is the technology separates *gases* from water and that the partial pressure balance is whatever that might be at any depth or area of the ocean. My question would be it’s ability to deliver the required volume of gases to fuel the body. Hard to imagine as described, but I certainly applaud the effort and hope development continues.

• DeathByDrowning says:

Hmmm, I don’t know much about the physiology of breathing air underwater, even at shallow depths. I do have several degrees in fields related to this technology, though, and have a few somewhat relevant comments. 1. Being very familiar with the field of surface science and nano-fabrication, I will say that there is not yet a known way to create pores of consistently narrow distribution to separate an Oxygen molecule from a Water molecule just by “molecular sieve” type structures. Oxygen and Water are very close in size, and in fact Oxygen is MUCH larger in the longitudinal direction and only slightly smaller than Water in the transverse direction; in other words, Oxygen needs to “allign” itself to the channel to slip through, and without any known mechanism to allign such a non-polar and small magnetic moment molecule, it seems unlikely that the filter could be efficient. Futhermore, once introduced into a channel narrow enough, the two molecules will not exhibit enough of a “hydrophobic-hydrophillic” effect to be of much use in separations. In fact, forget the breathing aspect of this, just having the technology to create such narrow and precise pore distributions would be a game changer in many chemical separations. 2) much has been stated above about relative solubility of Oxygen and Nitrogen in sea water. Although it is simple to think of “Air” as a homologous substance, it is in fact a mixture of several molecules that each have their own solubilities in water. Think of it this way, there is “water vapor” in air (or whence rain? clouds?) but that water in air is 100% soluble in seawater (duh!). So the it would only be happy serendipity if the proportional concentrations of Nitrogen and Oxygen in Seawater were exactly the same as the proportions in air: which, unfortunately, they are not. Nevertheless, the problem is that the concentration of Oxygen in Seawater is about 6mg/l. That is 0.0006 g per 1000 g of seawater (roughly). To get enough Oxygen for one breath (assuming that you have the correct makeup Nitrogen gas available to get to “Air”) requires a whopping 1 tonnes of seawater to be processed for one human breath. If you need to extract Nitrogen too, it would be about 2 tonnes for the nitrogen and that is assuming 100% efficiency! Fortunately, in this case, the math is fairly easy to just estimate: it takes about 25 liters of “air” / minute for humans at walking exertion (25C at sea level), that converts to about 5 liters of Oxygen / minute, so about 6 g / minute of Oxygen, since there is about 6 grams / tonne of Seawater, we get about 1 tonne per minute at 100% efficiency.

The article was surprisingly detailed about the battery, but it would be one hell of a battery that could indefinitely pump 1 tonnes of seawater / minute even over a very short distance.

I’m afraid that not only the device most likely unsafe as solely and Oxygen extractor for the physiological reasons already stated, but the technologies required are extremely advanced, so far as to be fantasy at the current state of the art. If and when they technologies are available, there will be many, many applications for them that far exceed the utility of making breathing underwater easier.

• Carl says:

envinite you are soooo right….if it wwas left to the small mindedness of people like Alaour we would be still usinf the rotary dial telephone and telegraph…Alaor

• Carl says:

…Alaor….with people like you we would still bee using leaches to suck blood as a medical prcedure.samll mind

• Hakouna Matata says:

Whale shark ?
    Manta ?

• Hakouna Matata says:

.14
    Tubbataha says

I think the pure oxygen issue is a misunderstanding, air dissolved in the sea is roughly same proportions as normal air 80%N2, 20%02. The issue is that our warm blooded metabolism needs a substantial amount of oxygen each minute, but each cubic meter of water contains very little dissolved gas. So any artificial gill for humans would need to process a very large volume of water per minute to extract enough dissolved gas. (likely to be tens of cubic meters/minute) SO the artificial gill would need to be bigger than this and have some way to force plenty of water through it – like fish do !
    Notice that none of the ‘higher’ animals than fish that live in sea rely on gills – reptiles (turtles, sea snakes), mammals (dolphins , whales) all breathe air at the surface and use lungs as that provides the flow rate of oxygen their metabolism requires.

Whale shark ?
    Manta ?

• Kinesio Tape says:

Kinesio® continues to offver their well-known basic wave design tape that
    has set thee standard foor Kinesio Taping® practitioners worldwide.

• JerryH says:

I’ve always favored the little guy with the big dream. The fact is ion channels routinely separate ions from water through our cells walls, which also pass oxygen and CO2 in and out, and were synthetically fabricated in the lab more than 30 years ago. How many ion channels can you stack on the head of a pin? A whole bunch. Skepticism is OK, but it’s confined to our knowledge of the subject. In theory there’s no need for such a device to be larger than the gills of a man sized fish. The pump? Electro-endosmosis. No moving parts. We need to dream, folks.

• edeson biore says:

how to buy the triton scubs mask/

• Graham says:

You can’t buy it, it doesn’t exist, and it’s never going to exist., and I’m certainly not going to waste ny time explaining why, when you’ve ignored so many posters who’ve already explained.

Can I interest you in a Star Trek transporter? Comes complete with sparkly effects…

• JerryH says:

Those who’ve posted here with reasonable arguments that this can’t possibly work, have based it on their current knowledge of the topic and the surrounding technology as they know and understand it. “Never going to exist?” Certainly not from someone who thinks that way.