The 45-Degree Neck

What will happen if we shift the mouth of the bottle from the top to a 45-degree angle? You may not be able to fill it to the brim, and drinking from it may be a bit weird, but filling the bottle from a water cooler or fountain will surely become easy. This simple placement difference can do a heck lot for the packaging design and I think it’s radical and awesome.

Designers: Hsu Hsiang-Min, Liu Nai-Wen & Chen Yu-Hsin

• Nicolas M says:

Did u take the production of such a bottle into account? A normal PET bottle is produced through stretch blow molding, how about yours? Is the prefab angled aswell? Or would you use the conventional straight ones? Will they fit in the mold?

Grtz from Belgium

• ori shavit says:

i was thinking the same thing. though maybe through various other bottle mold change this might work.

either that, or one could just create reusable bottles. could aluminium, stainless or plastic injection.

• Jimmy C says:

You gotta admit,they’ve got some pretty good points.

• Interesting need but I’m afraid it would be very difficult to stack these bottles for transport. Blow molding a standard PET tube would also be hard given the non symmetrical design. What about a flexible (rubber?) mouth that would stay in place but be able to flex when refilling is needed?

• Tim says:

Great idea.

• Mostafa says:

good idea, I put it on my site

• I don’t get why 3 guys waste their time with this.

• Justin says:

i strongly agree with you!

• David says:

you think people will ure more this bottle just couse the problem is the discomfortable position of the neck? but overall: another bottle? why? maybe you think the world needs more bottle? in these case did you think about the industrial filling chain? how many industrial plant will need to be modified to fill it correctly …and even modifing the filler i think the bottle should need a squared profile just to know on wich side is the mouth. Sorry…this guy doesn’t know the meaning of “product design”, but I’m shure he knows perfectly the meaning of the word “cool”…maybe could try with fashon design…

• Artist Bora says:

Good! like it!!

• Jason Wang says:

This a simple, elegant, and practical way of avoiding many of the problems of a water bottle.

• The Science Guy says:

This is classic! I can’t believe people think this works – obviously they didn’t pass their physics classes. You might have more success with one of these though 😀

• Aleco says:

What is wrong with the physics of this?

• Merdril says:

I’m also interested in what’s wrong with the physics of this; by that I mean there’s nothing wrong with the physics of this, you troll. This is a classic pressure = (density)(height)(gravity) situation. The opening to the container is at a lower height than a standard water bottle, which means that there is more pressure at the opening the way the woman is holding it. Even when tilted, the bottle will have more pressure at the opening, which means we’ll need to suck less at the opening (making a pressure differential) in order to get our water. Go back to your troll hole.

As for how to manufacture this, well, that’s a completely different issue.

• The Science Guy says:

You are 100% correct Merdril! It works exactly as you described, until the water starts running low. Then you’ll notice that the bottle has to be tilted an extra 45 degrees to make up for this mechanical disadvantage. It’s an inefficient use of gravity … unless you hold it like the picture I posted – which is twice as efficient!

If you still don’t believe me, buy this product and try it yourself. It’s gonna be really awkward but at least you were warned.

• It’s sure a simple and very useful idea!

• Marcio Diniz says:

Very nice idea, but how would you transport it in pallets? Would you heap it?

• Feniks says:

For such a bottle would need more material. In the absence of symmetry has weakened static. Those below would be crushed. Otherwise there is Tetrapak with this solution.

• Mikk says:

Is it me or is the English used in the pictures so crude that even Yoda could not understand it?
    Looks like something made with Google Translate.

Other than that all my ideas have been already expressed by other comments.

M.

• this is good design… but i do not like this shape bottle:)

• Z says:

Good point right there.

• Jan says:

Does ANYBODY see the 91239123890 grammatical errors in this? Anybody?

• Aleco says:

You definitely do not need to tilt it 45 degrees for the last bit of water. as long as the bottle isn’t perfectly flat, gravity will take the water to you (i.e. 5 degrees would be enough)

• Aleco says:

If you are a grammar Nazi, you are on the wrong website

• DDekor says:

Wow, very useful
    i love it

• Yuri Baumann says:

To drink from this bottle, I would rather turn it 180° compared to that picture above. In that way, the mouth piece would stay in the original position which I want but the bottle has a 45° angle which contributes to the physics… Anyway: What about production, logistics? And the fact that 8 billion people would have to change there drinking habits… arghh

• Jeff says:

Here’s why it would never work: no one wants to have to think when they grab a bottle to drink from. So often do I have a water bottle near me and just grab it and drink like it’s second nature, I don’t want to add more steps of having to look at the bottle, turn it, reposition my hand, drink….I’d try it once and hate it. Bad usability.

• Jeff says:

• Lucas says:

Why would any company want to make their bottle easier to refill? That loses them sales.

• Ty says:

This would be a better design for a REUSABLE bottle,rather than a somewhat single use bottle as they are mostly designed for now. If going for the reusable bottle, then you might want a material stronger than PET

• Jonah Jahns says:

Before you insult people and criticism them, please go back to 4th grade and at least take the spelling unit again. Thanks.

• Lumumba Kamguia says:

Thats exactly what i was thinking!

• bluez says:

just use straw. don’t need to buy this product. it’s more easier. straw is FREE..

• dex says:

this is definitely useful when refilling..

• kynphlee says:

why not just have a bottle with an adjustable neck?

• Lisa says:

A good concept, but I agree it would be difficult to transport. And I never even would have thought about the production problems until I read the other comments.

• espkav says:

Why not just design a better water dispenser so you can fit a bottle in without having to tilt it? I also dont like how they think the 45 degree angle makes it so much better!

• Dominik says:

While studying product management I had some industrial design classes, in my opinion designers should be forced to take technical classes. 99% of ideas are so impractical that they’re either impossible to manufacture or production would be way too expensive to be economical.

• Mark says:

I would spill stuff all over for the short while it would take to get used to it.

• Zoe says:

Has anyone considered that instead of innovating plastic bottles, we should be finding ways to eliminate their use and production by society?

Plastic bottles are terrible for the environment and the consumer!

We should move away from temporary materials, and start campaigns that encourage people to purchase reusable containers for liquids!

COME ON PEOPLE!

• Kate says:

The point of having the bottle with the 45 degree angle is so they are easier to refill… So you would be using them instead of disposing them.

• Emmanem28 says:

I LOVE it!!!! Honestly, one of the most amazing ideas ever. Just like mint flavored bubblegum

• great design idea. Very innovative.

• leolee says:

beyond the problems of production,image the process of using this bottle :before drinking ,people should think about the whether the mouth is towards you,if not,you must turn it around。people must do more and think more befor drinking。I think this is no a good idea!

• Euan says:

I think I need to get a job at a industrial design school, if this is the kind of work students are producing.

• Tyler Oku says:

I hope people realize the last diagram with the person drinking has fundamental problems with gravity. You would have to tip your head MORE, or just turn the bottle around and tilt that at the old. The diagram depicts neither of those scenarios.

Just because the opening moved in an arc doesn’t make gravity pull horizontally, tangent to the earth.

• Tyler Oku says:

• Tyler Oku says:

Just because the opening moved in an arc around the bottle doesn’t make gravity pull horizontally, tangent to the earth.

• Marcello says:

Also this is not original…An israel guy had come before to this solution…As always…copy from others… -_-

• Stanton says:

another solution in search of a problem

• bob says:

The beauty of this product is that just by rotating it 180 degrees, it becomes two products in one…from “easy drink” to “hard drink”.
    I do like the design.