Whoa! Men To Pee and Wash In The Same Stand!

I’m not a man so I really don’t know how comfortable you guys are going to be with this thought…peeing and washing hands in the same urinal stand! What Designer Yeongwoo Kim has done is incorporated the wash basin just above the spot you take aim to pee. The reason cited is that you’ll save a water flush cycle, coz when you rinse your hand after the job (I hope you guys do that!), the same gray water can be used to cleanse the urinal basin. Tell me, how many of you guys will be comfortable with this? For once, my opinion doesn’t count, but I do find it funny!

Eco Urinal is an iF Concept Design 2010 winning entry!

Patent Pending : 30-2010-0009743
To save water, Eco Urinal is designed to use the water that was used for washing hands to flush the urine. By this process, we don’t have to use water twice after using the urinal. Moreover, it reduces the establishment expenses by optimizing the materials. Upper space of this urinal is made with glass, and it helps to secure a clear view for users. It also promotes people to keep their sanitation because people need to wash their hands to flush the urine after use.

Designer: Yeongwoo Kim

• Rahul Thakur says:

Amazing idea… Doesn't bothers me da least…love it

I'll just suggest that the sink's glass should be opaque (no one wants to see the colour of their urine today..!!)….. n that da faucet should be sensor activated,especially in the public washrooms..

• Guest says:

You could flush existing urinals with gray water just by collecting drained graywater from existing sink drains into a holding tank. you would need a pump do elevate the drained water back up to the top of the urinal though… so this is more efficient but seems to give a slight feeling of uneasiness… social context?

• Guest says:

• bruce says:

Very simple and smart design. Would love to build a prototype of it.

• bruce says:

Very simple and smart design. Would love to build a prototype of it.

• Enrique says:

We had about 20 years ago a toilet tank cover that had a built-in faucet like a drinking fountain that used water from the supply valve. When you flushed the toilet the water made the fountain and you washed your hands AFTER you flush. After that the water ran into the tank ready for the next flush AND washing your hands.

• ringo kan says:

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i seen it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

young designer should see more thing!!!!! otherise u alwasy just designing old thing………

• Enrique says:

• ringo kan says:

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i seen it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mikelyden says:

Oh no… I've been doing this already!

• mikelyden says:

Oh no… I've been doing this already!

• ringo kan says:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the middle glass will Kick my belly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also i seen a japanese dessign to use wash-hand-water to fill a toilet tank…..it is design in 20 years ago!!!!

• ringo kan says:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the middle glass will Kick my belly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bigjon says:

problems:

1. I don’t want my hands anywhere near someones piss. (do a google search for “bacteria”)

2. The piss stream is strong and will shoot far up and over into the hand area.

3. Children/little people will not be able to reach the top to wash their hands and will fall into the piss.

4. I am tall and will piss in the top layer.

• bigjon says:

problems:

2. The piss stream is strong and will shoot far up and over into the hand area.

4. I am tall and will piss in the top layer.

• randomblah says:

If they do use this, at least make privacy borders, and preferably larger ones than our current ones that barely do anything. And it better help splashback, I use toilets all the time since otherwise the janitor's job is worse.

It's a good idea, but it seems very open, and if this reduces all sinks then we have to stand at the toilet to use the sink which would be gross when you can tell some idiots have already used it.

• randomblah says:

• randomblah says:

• randomblah says:

• marcolouis says:

I think itʻs a great IDEA but bad design. Why are they square/rectangular??? Donʻt men know that a stream of liquid from your penis tends to splash on a flat surface? I rarely see blatant funnel shaped urinals anywhere, where the stream hugs the urinal, hence no splashes! I think the sink basin idea is great but the whole unit needs to be separated from other units with barriers to give more privacy. How about modifying existing floor length urinals by adding an automated sink basin/soap dispenser attachment to the tops of the existing urinal? Just thoughts.

• marcolouis says:

• Doug says:

This is old. My sister has had a similar toilet in her house in Japan for many years.
    It's perfectly hygienic and eco-friendly, and only squeamish people find it unpleasant to use.

• Doug says:

• nikhil natarajan says:

wow, i like the idea…! 🙂 good one..!

• nikhil natarajan says:

wow, i like the idea…! 🙂 good one..!

• dan says:

thats just disgusting
    some things are meant to be separated

• dan says:

thats just disgusting
    some things are meant to be separated

• andh says:

For everyone saying that you will end up 'Peeing in the basement' that is rubbish. Who out of anyone here actually pisses in the basins? Unless you have freakyly large legs or just an eurgh to pee in the basin then this will not be a problem.

• tlh says:

I'm 6'4", and every sink in every public restroom I've been in is low enough for me to pee in without any effort. Meaning, I'd have to half-squat while peeing in a urinal that's lower than the standard sink height.

Also, a clear surface that doesn't get rinsed? It'll look very nasty in a short period of time (the bottom of the sink "basin" in the illustrations).

• andh says:

• tlh says:

I'm 6'4″, and every sink in every public restroom I've been in is low enough for me to pee in without any effort. Meaning, I'd have to half-squat while peeing in a urinal that's lower than the standard sink height.

Also, a clear surface that doesn't get rinsed? It'll look very nasty in a short period of time (the bottom of the sink “basin” in the illustrations).

• badidea says:

not everyone is that short, some men might be peeing in your sink…

• badidea says:

not everyone is that short, some men might be peeing in your sink…

• Allan says:

Looking in the mirror, at least you can smile knowing you're not wasting several gallons of water to pee a few ounces…

I'd be pleased to use something like this.

• Allan says:

I'd be pleased to use something like this.

• cony says:

good,Very environmentally friendly

• cony says:

good,Very environmentally friendly

• Rags says:

The concept is great but the form needs some work in order to function efficiently. With the current design the water can't possibly wash all the walls of the urinal, making odour a big issue.

• Rags says:

• Vic Stapel says:

Naturally the water exit can be all along the

the width by making small hole all the way

BUT for the one washing the washbasins ( less of care taker joy maybe)

Greats men hygiene idea ever!

Space saver, wash hands right away

REMIND those not doing it in doing so

Shape could be a bit more biometric

we are not that square

even comes with anti SHOES splash guard

what more can a man want

Now how about the one who does not wash his hands

will there be a back up for those piggies to splash

the lower part ? I hope so..

• Vic Stapel says:

Naturally the water exit can be all along the
    the width by making small hole all the way
    BUT for the one washing the washbasins ( less of care taker joy maybe)

Greats men hygiene idea ever!
    Space saver, wash hands right away
    REMIND those not doing it in doing so
    Shape could be a bit more biometric
    we are not that square
    even comes with anti SHOES splash guard
    what more can a man want

Now how about the one who does not wash his hands
    will there be a back up for those piggies to splash
    the lower part ? I hope so..

• Giuseppe says:

I agree with Martin. The idea is brilliant and Brandon didn't really get it.
    The only thing I would modify is the separation space between urinals. I would extend the metallic division between urinals to make shy people more comfortable when using the urinals. Congratulations indeed to the mind behind this idea.

• Giuseppe says:

I agree with Martin. The idea is brilliant and Brandon didn't really get it.

• and comfortable! love em!

• and comfortable! love em!

• Where can we buy them? We should be writing letters to all of our local/state/federal government schools, public buildings and military installations to install these things. Think of the hundreds of millions of gallons of water these would save. They would even pay back their remodeling cost pretty quickly

• unKev says:

very very nice idea! great job there!

• Lmwodo says:

there is absoulutly nothing wrong with this design…Except for the glass window and the spacing it would still have to be spaced a little more in ouder for the user to be comptorble and the glass is just unnesesary

• Lmwodo says:

srry 4 the type errors im tryin out a handwriting reconition program thats nt to good

• Max says:

Where can you purchase this urinal and lavatory combo?

• Jimmy C says:

Actually, this makes a lot of sense.

• james says:

Mito wasn’t correcting Wesley Baker, he was pointing out Wesley Baker’s mistake.

• Thijs says:

Great idea, except the design.. With the urinalpart placed in this position, when applying pressure, you will get drops all over your trousers.

• Peeko says:

Great idea – I hope to see these in production soon.

• Hunter says:

Not so much ignorant as not health-conscious.