Fruity Water Gate

This project is completely apolitical. It IS literally a gate of water. This project goes by the name of “Water Shade” and keeps a shield of H2O around the fruit it is sworn to protect. It’s both a dish and a cover, working with water to keep freshness in and everything larger than Oxygen OUT! Designer Yitu Wang doesn’t want to keep you from your delicious apples though, so there’s a built in detector that sees your hand in approach, and thus is does desist.

Moisture is locked in. Freshness is locked in. Flies are locked out. Dust is locked out. And when you come up and decide you’d love to have a strawberry, as soon as your hand gets near, the streams in that area stop. You’ll remain dry. How very keen!

Designer: Yitu Wang

Water Shade by Yitu Wang

watershade02

watershade03

watershade04

watershade05

• KJuly says:

Interesting~~~ I've saw an similar idea about the umbrella~ 🙂

• bowmanassoc says:

Excellent post! Keep up the great work!

• bowmanassoc says:

Excellent post! Keep up the great work!

• WilltheThrill says:

Humidity would spoil the fruit faster than normal.

• WilltheThrill says:

Humidity would spoil the fruit faster than normal.

• cgo2go says:

interesting idea, but the fruit won't stay any fresher than if it weren't behind the water. Oxidation would happen just the same, spoiling the fruit. Besides it would attract bugs like roaches, which love water and anything that emits electricity.

• cgo2go says:

• zwenkwiel says:

what's wrong with a simple screen?
    does pretty much everything this does, yet doesn't use any electricity or water
    it's a nice gadget but nothing more than that
    no real practical innovation or anything

• zwenkwiel says:

what's wrong with a simple screen?
    does pretty much everything this does, yet doesn't use any electricity or water
    it's a nice gadget but nothing more than that
    no real practical innovation or anything

• Steve says:

This is awesome, one thing that bothers me is howwould the sensor know its your hand and not a fly?

• Steve says:

• Adam says:

I have one of these and I LOVE IT. Best birthday present ever. Works with an external reservoir so you only need to refill every three days or so.

• Adam says:

• Ben says:

This is poor design on every level.

• Ben says:

This is poor design on every level.

• Formula says:

I figured out how to make this design much much better–swap the water with kerosene and light that thing on FIRE. Now I have an eternal flaming shield of awesomeness for my five bananas, two apples, and handful of strawberries!

The fire shield sucks all of the oxygen out of the space inside as it burns, too! It also incinerates all dust, insects, microbes, your fingers, and the fruit inside–so no messy cleanup!!

Yanko, I expect to have my own post in no more than a week.

• Formula says:

Yanko, I expect to have my own post in no more than a week.

• Love it, thaught id buy the water idea but this takes the biscuit lol and prolly burns it, and all my friends say theyd definatly have to have one. Get it made, in the shops, were waiting in droves 😀

• detmolder says:

brilliantly useless!

• detmolder says:

brilliantly useless!

• Jersdaman says:

Very interesting. It looks beautiful, so that should sell a bunch even if it has faults. I am sure they will address some of the above issues, thanks to the internet they get feedback even if they don't ask for it. Great to see people with vision and the determination to push boundaries.

• Jersdaman says:

• Nugmonkey says:

Holy s**t this is awesome!

• Nugmonkey says:

Holy s**t this is awesome!

• Rasmus says:

I want a water shield around my house 😀

• Rasmus says:

I want a water shield around my house 😀

• mrnoskill says:

I work as a caterer and think this concept is genious! This would be the perfect centerpiece at a lunch or breakfast. While it's true that it probably won't do too well as permanent storage, it will definatly be the talk of the party and long afterwards. Keep up the good work and consider selling to the entertainment industry.

• mrnoskill says:

• someone says:

I bow to you for inventing a new Internet meme. “I doubt it will work as on a warm day the water will evaporate”. Right up there with “first!” and “‘shopped! I can tell from the pixels”.

• wilky86 says:

have you thought about opening a kickstarter account to get angel investors to make this possible? would love to help!

• wilky86 says:

• Brandon says:

This is retarded. Graphic Designers =/= Engineers

• Brandon says:

This is retarded. Graphic Designers =/= Engineers

• Andrea T. says:

I am interested in buying your water gate.

• Andrea T. says:

I am interested in buying your water gate.

• casstic says:

fruit baskets are bad because…?

• Matt says:

It told you. It keeps the moisture in, the freshness in, dust out, and flies out.

• casstic says:

fruit baskets are bad because…?

• Happyguy says:

I don't really know anything about this other what it describes in the diagrams. After reading a few of the comments though I see a lot of people claiming that this thing is a waste and is pretty much stupid. WELL IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO REPLACE A GLASS LID!! It's just something different, unique, unusual, interesting, cool, and something that none of your friends will have so THAT'S why you would get one! People need to lighten up and appreciate art.

• Debussine says:

It's aesthetically pleasing, but -not- art. There is a difference.

• Hadden says:

I would say that’s art! Water sculpture that is also functional! How creative! Would love to have one!

• Happyguy says:

• Debussine says:

It's aesthetically pleasing, but -not- art. There is a difference.

• @shinful says:

This is plain stupid. Have you considered the water splashes when you turn off and on? Messy table you will have.
    Do you know a constant wet fruit can make them rotten faster?
    Do you know that only low temperature can keep the fruit fresh longer?
    I bet you don't know this..

• @shinful says:

Do you know a constant wet fruit can make them rotten faster?
    Do you know that only low temperature can keep the fruit fresh longer?
    I bet you don't know this..

• gest says:

why do people post concepts? do it

• gest says:

why do people post concepts? do it

• gest says:

open the water! that's the best part XD

• gest says:

open the water! that's the best part XD

• Colorado MMJ says:

Nice concept! Would like to see it in action.

• Colorado MMJ says:

Nice concept! Would like to see it in action.

• Anon says:

i think this is a great concept, but there are many factors that have to be taken into consideration. i wont judge, but i would like to see this as more than a 3D model

• Anon says:

• Attila says:

Brilliant idea and to the people with "not enough" attitude – do it yourself man!

Make something better – put something incredible on the table and stop complaining.

Respect!

• Attila says:

Brilliant idea and to the people with “not enough” attitude – do it yourself man!

Respect!