How To Fold A Bike Into A Cart

The concept of a folding cycle is not new to Yanko Design, and I really think the idea is worth developing, given the space constrains that bog us. Classifying the Ville as just another folding urban commuter cycle will not be fair. The design concept goes a step further by adding functionality to the folded form. It doubles up as a cart so that when you go grocery shopping, you don’t leave this cool bike parked outside to tempt thieves, you take it along indoors.

Ville – The Urban Folding Bicycle won the Bronze Prize at IDEA Design Awards 2010

Designer: Hyuk-Jae Chang

Ville - The Urban Folding Bicycle by Hyuk-Jae Chang

ville2

ville3

ville4

ville5

ville6

ville7

• Hartigan says:

Now That is interesting!

• phil says:

yes, interesting… to know, who would buy this thing? it works worse than any other bike, and worse than a normal shopping cart.
      i dont see any user benefit..
      i think a well designed lock would do a way better job, and it would work not only at grocery stores…

an assistant-wheel? seriously?

• Vincent says:

looks useless…
      and what about the fact that there are no bikes allowed in most stores?

or will that be changed as well?

• Sarah says:

I really like the design and this looks like something I could easily use in my neighborhood. The grocery store is just a few blocks away.

@Vincent: Grocery stores don’t want people toting bikes around because of the risk of injury (if riding and hitting others) or it cluttering up the aisles. This turns into a cart and many already people bring their own wheeled carts into the stores they walk to. I don’t think it would be an issue.

@phil: I don’t think the user benefit has to do with bike security. Its with those of us who bike to stores and have to manage bags biking back. The basket design here looks deeper than most bike baskets and cart function saves time.

• Brian says:

Definitely interesting concept. I certainly wouldn’t mind having one of these around campus, especially as a design student with all the materials I have to carry on a regular basis. I also like the idea of bringing my bike inside without feeling too intrusive.

• Where can I get one? And how does ir coast?

• TomTrottier says:

Good idea, not just for shopping, but at school too.

Would be nicer if —
    – the big wheels lined up so you could easily pull up steps, with the little wheel out in front.
    – the baskets were streamlined waterproof pods with lids that rotated under. Why think square?

tOM

• Verbosity says:

A shame I can’t get one. Potential markets?

Anyone who bikes to their stores or likes to frequent farmers markets (many of the people I know in my home town).

The student who has to carry all there stuff (not quite me – I have everything digital and on a tablet PC… and I don’t mean those horrible iPads that they are calling tablets now, I mean a really fully powered laptop that has the power to use my third party applications that Microsoft can’t stop me from buying).

The office worker at multi-building facility who has to carry around boxes of paperwork (like my mom did before she retired – even after a back injury).

Those are the ones just off the top of my head. Unfortunately, I have the feeling the cost of manufacture would price it out of the range of those who would need it, so this will probably stay a concept design. 🙁

• Charmaine says:

Very creative design, 2 in 1 – cart cum bike.

• I want one, I wish they were for sale.

• powers says:

Yyyyeeeeaah. I don't know.

• I run a bike business and I’d sell them. No question they’d sell if the price was right. I’d order 50 tomorrow.

• Se'lina says:

Any updates on price and availability??? I want one!!!

• Se'lina says:

Any updates on price and availability??? I want one!!!

• soong says:

can i know how much the bike cost?

• soong says:

can i know how much the bike cost?

• Daniel says:

Hi,

Where can we actually buy these bikes from? Id love one.

Thanks

• Gabriel says:

I doubt it is easy to unfold, once the baskets are full and heavy.. Easy to break you eggs